AMD Overclocking Club

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I have pulled the extra ram and can not get 100% stable over the 4.5 GHz mark. I have even tried dropping the CPU/NB frequency along with the ram speed and still hit the same wall. At this point I think I am running into two issues. The first being it is a the Bulldozer architecture which is not as good at overclocking as the Piledriver. The second is I know for a fact this CPU has been pushed to the throttling point and over before I got it. I think it has degraded a little due to this.

When my son bought a used PC he brought it over for me to clean out and upgrade for him while he learns. I still have the pics of how bad the cooler and parts were when we started. From soon after that point on it had a H100i gt cooler till I got it so it lived a good life after but the damage I believe was done. :( I got the CPU for $20 so It is not like i have and real amount of money into it. Still looking to get either the FX 8320 or FX 8350

mechanicturnedgeek

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

mechanicturnedgeek

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
Thank you for the advice. I will download asap. I have been building computers ever since windows 95, but originally it was just because I needed a pc, and couldn't afford one of the nice ones new, it was cheaper for me to buy several broken ones and make my own. I just started learning about OC a year ago, and just got serious about it after I had an illness that put me in a chair for a month with nothing to do except play with my pc, and accidentally bought this motherboard. I am using a gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 as my regular pc

This video might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb1QDpRnOvw

mechanicturnedgeek

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

mechanicturnedgeek

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
Thank you for the link. It was somewhat informative to me. A lot of that stuff I already knew, but I did learn some good stuff. It's my goal to understand the math and the correlations between CPU and the various components, and how they interact. I want to be able to take ANY computer that has the options and OC them, whether it be a.n Athlon or a FX8, a Celeron or a I9...

A little addition to this one. After adding more cooling consisting of a H100i GTX in pull configuration I am able to hit 4.715 GHz 100% stable @ 1.488v. 4.8 GHz will require over 1.51V which I am not comfortable with for a 24/7 voltage. IF you want I can get the screen shots to prove stability at that frequency.

Not to bad for a $20 CPU I picked up.

Nice!
I love a good budget mod
i actually have a youtube channel I started because I overclocked a Dell Optiplex 745 with a Core2Duo
everybody said you couldnt overclock a OEM machine but i discovered the BSEL Pin mod where you connect the pads on a Core2Duo with a circuit tracing pen and change the FSB from 800 to 1066 so the clock speed gets bumped up

BTW i know the Phenom II chips could safely go up to 1.55
i know cause i have a PhII x 6 1100T which I have had running over 1.5 for many years
I am not sure about FX
however usually if your temps are good then the voltage is good

My Phenom II 965 ran a good chunk of its life at 1.52 in my Asrock 770DE+ board before I purchased this board. Since I purchased the new cooler I will be setting that system back up with a 4.073 GHz overclock with my Hyper 212. It is currently in my 8yr old's room to for Youtube and Netflix so it surely isn't needed but how many children have a full blown hand me down Gaming system at that age?

I still have my old Core 2 duo system, E4500, but I got lucky because it was an Acer EG31m motherboard and they released a bios update that unlocked the FSB on it. I didn't need to go with the BSEL mod luckily but did do a lot of reading about it before finding out about the BIOS release. I was going to put that one together fully now but then my daughter broke a small ( 1.5 inch diameter ) snow globe over the other's PC's 200mm top fan and fried my HD 5770 that was in it. So now my spare GPU, a HD 4870, is in that machine instead of going into my Old Intel rig. Kids :fou: lol

Sweet!
that dell i had had the E4500
great chip
i used it pin modded fo yeas and then sold it
it had a velociraptor 10k drive and 8gb ram and a msi 5670 i had to cut the fan shroud to fit lol

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Hopefully someone can help me here. I have an AMD A10 6800k 4.1ghz, but I want to overclock it to at least 4.6ghz or 4.8ghz, but when my voltage gets to a certain point, my processor will downclock to 3.7ghz. I guess this is known as thermal throttling? Anyway, how do I get passed this? I have an Arctic Silver tube with thermal paste, but not that much so I want to know how to fix this before I do anything.

If it is the CPU getting to hot then you you need a new CPU cooler that can dissipate the heat faster.
If it is the VRM throttling the speed due to heat then you will need a motherboard with better VRM cooling.

Also be sure the case has plenty of air flow through it to feed the CPU and other components with cool air.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

Yeah, I do have a stock heat sink and cooler, so I'm going to get a new one, which is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7YA5FQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ZKSOM6XK2G3G
I REALLY hope sure this isn't a waste. Please tell me if the motherboard is bad with the VRM or whatever: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04100368
Mobo: MS-7778 (JasmineR) Manufacturer is MSI, so... I don't know if it's good to overclock on this.

There is no VRM cooling on that motherboard. Because of this your overclock will be limited but the Cryorg H7 is a good cooler for the price and will do well helping the CPU stay cool.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
do not overclock on that board, your vrms are already overheating to the point that you can boil water on them (yup over 100'c or close for sure, check it out using thermal camera )
better is to undervolt your cpu to get more usefull life out of it and try to keep below 60'C at full load
tower cpu cooler will help cpu but will make matter worse for vrm as stock heatsink blows air (even if its hot air but this air still remains lower than cpu's temp ) on vrm while tower type cooler doesn't, and first try some vrm cooling that will help alot more than cpu cooler

and btw create seperate thread, this thread is (was) to showoff overclock that you have achieved

Shalex

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
Name: Shalex
Gpu: Ati Radeon r7 250 (OC Core Clock To 1300Mhz And OC Memory Clock 1430Mhz)
Stepping: C2
Cpu: AMD Bulldozer Fx-6100 Black Edition
Frequency: 4001
ref*multi: 250*16.0
CPU voltage: 1.42515v
Hyper transport frequency: 2500Mhz
nb frequency: 2500Mhz
cpu/nb: 250mhz
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz (OC TO 2332Mhz) 12-12-12-30-1T @ 1.65V 933mhz
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX3
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600w
Cooling: Air cooling/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Jack_242

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
CPU: AMD Fx - 6300 @ 5.065 GHz vcore @ 1.532v
MB: MSI 970 Gaming
DIMM: G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 C11 2x4GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB DDR5 x 2 SLI
SSD: 120 GB SanDisk SSD Plus
PSU: EVGA 850w BQ 80+ Bronze
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Captain EX 120mm mounted up front with 1 NF-f12 3000 rmp Noctua Fan
1 x NF-f12 3000 rmp Noctual Fan as rear exhaust
1 x 120mm from Deep cool as top exhaust
1 x 140mm Fan from EVGA mounted on DVD drive as intake
1 x 80mm fan mounted on bottom as intake
Case: Coolermaster 431 elite

Bench

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3601674
http://

WekZi58

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Hi guys,

Im trying to overclock my r5 1600 with MSI B350M mortar and I face one problem. My clocks and volts are now up to maximum 100% of the time. What should i do to fix this? I use windows 10 and I have updated BIOS to newest one available. Thx for answers :)

Have you installed the patch that enables the AMD Ryzen plan? If not please do so. Normally this is controlled by the OS in the power management plan but with the Rysen CPU's there were issues that were found. They released a power plan to help fix this and give the control of the voltage and clock speeds to the CPU.

EDIT: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Question: So I'm trying to figure out what bus clock does on memory. Is it the lower it is, the better? Or the higher, the better? Also if I increase or decrease it for delay, which one would make my memory faster? I'm using AMD Overdrive.

If you would care to make your own thread I would be more than happy to explain these things to you. Since this thread was started to allow Overclockers a place to share there accomplishments with AMD CPU's this is not the place for this type of discussion.

FYI do not use AMD Overdrive to overclock, Use the BIOS for this, because a software program can add instability to your overclock. However Overdrive does work well,and in some cases best, for monitoring temps of the Phenom, Athlon, Phenom II, Athlon II, AMD A series and FX series CPU's.

RX1542

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
hey guys i have a fx 6300 OC to 4.7ghz at 1.464V temps sit around 40 while gaming 50-55 while rendering vieos and stuff, i wanted to hit 5ghz and actually did it, but it requieres 1.55V the temps go up to 50c while gaming and havent tried to render videos, my question is would it be safe to use it at 1.55 just for gaming? like your everyday OC?

TRENDING THREADS