AMD Overclocking Club

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ashton

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Ouch! .....I ran prime95 at 4.2ghz and it ran for 2 hours fine. The problem is that my temps shot up to 71c under load. Ran Prime95 again at 4.0ghz for 2 hours and it stayed at 56c under load.. Anything above 60 worries me. Do I need a better water cooler? I have the Corsair H50. 4.2 ghz seems to be a hot zone huh?

ashton

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

The H50 is a closed loop, at least it better be or I will be wondering where the fluid goes! lol I see its not the best thing out there. I do like the fact that there is less of a chance in leakage since there are only two componants. Air cooling with towers very limited due to the case size. Yes I do have 2 fans on the Radiator. I get a little over 10c cooler overall and much better OCing. You get what you pay for and more with it. I just didnt want to complicate things and save a buck too. I have a very very small Cube case, check it out "Sunbeam UFO" I use the 120mm next to the CPU to pump in with push and pull plus I have an exhaust blower on the open slot next to the Vid card. Seems to be ok tho I would like more exhaust. The Vid side get intake from the other 120mm intake and theres one open Slot for pressure exhaust plus the card has some exhaust out of the back. My ambient is about 27c and motherboard is 30c on Idle. Al in all its warmer then some and this is why I bought the H50. Keep in mind the ATI 5850 is huge and basically blocks circulation from one side to the other. One more thing is I have the top and side panels slightly open, one for the H50 hoses to run in and out the top and the other due to the PCI connectors, they stick out about 1/2 inch. Thank God acrylic bends!!

ashton

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Hey bro what are your temps including Ambient at 4.16?

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Ambient here is San Diego is like 20c With my H50 (when I had it @4.1 was running at like 67+) So I switched to a lcs. If you want to run your higher oc I would suggest you run a test like rubic suggested. Running your cpu at higher will shorten your cpu life eventually. That's what I did when I decided to switch over. I had my H50 in a push/pull pulling cool air in. I experimented with pulling air out of the case and my temps were 3-5c higher.

ashton

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Yes I have the stock 1600 rpm running with my lighted 1200 rpm in push pull intake. It seems to be running good at 4080ghz and very stable. Played MW2 for 1 hour and it never went over 51c. Idles at 38c. I will get some matching 120mm fans that give me more pressure but for now its cool and stable. I will keep your fans in mind. Thx

ashton

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Im gonna stay at 4.1 ghz, I dont need to go higher. I'm dont want to kill it or test how high it can go, I just want to squeeze what I can out of it safely. Ran prime95 torture and I nver went higher then 54c. Idles at 38c. I feel those are safe numbers. I am gonna get some better fans for the push pull set up and yes it must be an intake. I'm thinking about keeping the radiator competely external, have to think this out better because I hate the thought of pumping hot air into my rig.

ashton

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

You have to keep in mind my case is so small your cooler wouldnt fit at all. I will up some pics of my rig later so you can see what I'm working with. Check out this link http://www.legitreviews.com/article/498/1/ read the last page on the review. Dont ask me why...but I love the case and its been fun to get this rig running right! Keep in mind under my MB I have 2 harddrives on raid 0 with the power 650wt PSU there too. They produce alot of heat on the acrylic panel above and thats where the board is sitting on. I'll get the pics and explain the setup later. This is not your regular air circulating rig though, not even close. I have 3 separate circulating sections in my case. Keep an eye tomorrow and I will post pics if i can. I'm not sure how to yet on this forum.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hey all I have a updated OC

Cpu: 1090T
Name: Miwanuma
Stepping: 0
Frequency: 4214
ref*multi: 200*21
CPU voltage: 1.49
CPU-NB: 1.29
nb frequency: 2207
NB volts: 1.3
RAM: G Skill 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65V
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling: Custom LCS

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1529510

prime42.png

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Have not tried that I think default was 2000 and raised it to 2200? I can try 2600. Want to see if I can push the oc a bit more though