AMD Phenom FX CPU Expected in 2009

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, it's nice that AMD is going to launch the processor in the 45nm manufacturing process. But there's a one problem. The Intel have done it about 8 months earlier, so they have earned a huge money for thier processors and they did it first ... The AMD has a very serious problem with a technology. I It's bad the didn't take fully advantage in thier Athlon 64 constructions to invest in technology ... I hope they can still survive the bad times and return to compete with intel. I'll be happy to see the new rise of AMD.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
@warezme ahh where is your QX9770 over clocked to 4Ghz easily?

The Alienware Area-51 ALX has a QX9770 over clocked to 4Ghz its "maximum stable output" And they are using a liquid cooling solution. That does not sound like an easy over clock to me. People need to be more realistic when talking about over clocks. That goes for both AMD and Intel people. We won't know what these chips can do until they are released.

G

Core i7 doesn't appear to be that great, that "first look" article said it all. AMD could easily catch and even pass Intel on this round. The main clock speed disadvantage was due to the IMC and it's power consumption and thermal dissipation(although the wattage is subracted from the chipset, it still limits clockspeed by means of thermal dissipation), now that Intel is moving to an IMC, the clockspeed playing field will be more level.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Jay-D[/nom]AMD could easily catch and even pass Intel on this round. The main clock speed disadvantage was due to the IMC and it's power consumption and thermal dissipation(although the wattage is subracted from the chipset, it still limits clockspeed by means of thermal dissipation), now that Intel is moving to an IMC, the clockspeed playing field will be more level.[/citation]

And Cows can fly....
Have you heard of turbo mode?

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
3 Ghz next year...?
I'm running 3 Ghz today on my Phenom 9850 and 780G Mainborad. I just changed the multiplier to 15x. Kept the core voltage to standard 1.360V. Everything works fine. So why don't AMD release 3 Ghz today, when it actually works already?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]Milleman[/nom]3 Ghz next year...?I'm running 3 Ghz today on my Phenom 9850 and 780G Mainborad. I just changed the multiplier to 15x. Kept the core voltage to standard 1.360V. Everything works fine. So why don't AMD release 3 Ghz today, when it actually works already?[/citation]

You shouldn't be running a Phenom X4 9850 BE on a 780G motherboard.
Haven't you heard that a 9850BE and a 780G will burn out and you will lose probably both your board as well as the CPU?
You should be using a 790GX motherboard instead.
I run a 9850BE on a 790FX board.

Malovane

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Many 780G boards handle 9850 and 9950's just fine. Just have to research a little. 790GX is the better buy, though of course.

Anyway, I don't see why AMD can't hit 4Ghz. My 9850BE runs 3.4 on air. AMD's focus with the Phenom was in high memory bandwidth and low power consumption, so that they could push further into the server market. They weren't focusing on high clocks. If they built in the aforementioned tech and focused on clock per clock calcs and raw mhz on the die shrink, I wouldn't be stunned if they came out with 4 and 4.4 ghz chips.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Thanks! ;)
I'm waitng for a Gibabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6 Mainboard to replace the 780G I currently use. I will use the 780G for a media center box with an AMD X2 CPU. What frequency are you maxing out your 9850 on?

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
The 780G issue applies to some boards, but not all - many folks are running Phenoms on these boards. Check the cpu support list.
The bs about 780G was started and left unfinished (promised followup never happened) by shrimpee amamdtikk and related spintel employboys. Idiot testers breaking mobos deliberately. The same fools also denegrated the 4870x2 - many no longer want anything to do with amamdtikk site - and just stopped going there. anadtek is highly biased spintel site full of misleading benchmarks and other twisted tales - including promotion of spintel crap during amd reviews. If you wanna torture yourself and live with the fairies and spintel fanboyism, go there - want truth? = keep out of the land of shrimp and his sick bs socalled testers - blatant bs. That includes the forum section too. I got booted for supporting amd.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
if you want to learn more about AMD - and prefer a non-spintel-flamer-infested environment - and appreciate non-biased simple facts - and want to hang with knowledgeable people who are very aware of the spintel bias and twisted benchmarks, and are also aware of the performance issues of AMD - and it's not all bad btw (surprise), then have a look at the news and the forums at the zone:
http://www.amdzone.com/index.php/home

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Malovane[/nom]Many 780G boards handle 9850 and 9950's just fine. Just have to research a little. 790GX is the better buy, though of course.Anyway, I don't see why AMD can't hit 4Ghz. My 9850BE runs 3.4 on air. AMD's focus with the Phenom was in high memory bandwidth and low power consumption, so that they could push further into the server market. They weren't focusing on high clocks. If they built in the aforementioned tech and focused on clock per clock calcs and raw mhz on the die shrink, I wouldn't be stunned if they came out with 4 and 4.4 ghz chips.[/citation]

(4+ghz has been rumoured)

I am also planning a new rig with a 790GX/SB750 chipset.

Deneb cpu will release as AM2+ (ddr2) and then AM3 (DDR3). Phenom cpu has IMC (integrated mem controller) that is, it's like a dual-IMC (interface) and can handle either ddr2 or ddr3 - which eases the upgrade path re socket change from AM2+ to AM3 - I just learned about this!

But really interesting is that nihilame is limited in utilization of ddr3 - speeds only at ddr3 800 or 1066.

But dieshrink 45nm Phenom Deneb on AM3 supports ddr3 1333! This is a current discussion on amdzone. Yet will back-compat to AM2+ with ddr2 1066. (dual IMC interface!) AMD has planned ahead on this one.

Shanghai (server chip) is on-schedule Q4. Deneb is expected Jan 09. Happy New Year!

Just released is Phenom 9950 Black Edition at reduced TDP = 125 watts! And recent price cuts last week make it amazingly affordable.

schnajc

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
According to rumors on Internet 45nm Phenom is consuming much less power than 65nm Phenom. But, at least what I know, AMD is still not using Hi-K gate on it's transistors. They probably will implement that technology in 2009, that will further reduce power consumption, and allow higher frequencies.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I think AMD is keeping tight about the new FX range, and for good reason. It's going to take more than just clock speed and cache to match and beat the blue corner, especially since Intel has copied and plans to implement the architerctural advances that AMD has made with the A64 range.

pullmyfoot

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Well, I doubt AMD wouold want to taint its FX branding. Which is why they came up with the Black Edition while they were down. So hopefully re-introducing the FX will mean they have something extra special. I highly suspect that to be the case. And if they come out on top my new system is going to come straight from AMD/ATI

G

When the AMD FX chips were plugging away all the benchmarks and my friends were laughing in my face I stuck to my Intel p4 and upgraded with cheap second hand chips all the way to 3.7ghz on prescott, finally moved to a new system, would have given it to AMD if they were still performance king, but how can you spend money on AMD and lack of Backwards compatibility. I know moving to i7 means a new socket much the same as am3 but at least I will have the next two to three years of processor upgrades from the second hand market all the way to 45nm quad cores capable of 4ghz that will still probably kick AMD'S lastest offering a couple of years from now. At least they have ATI as without that they would not be getting any of my money, they definately need to take a hint from the engineers at ATI on how to get the ball rolling again, I mean the 4800 series at a price to beleive in. I think AMD will be back if they can weather the storm of the financial market until they have 45nm, but will that be soon enough?

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
if it doesnt beat the i7, they lose credibility with the FX tag. wait until they can before doing a smear job on their own premiere product label. not saying they cant, just saying is has to.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ZootyGray[/nom]if you want to learn more about AMD - and prefer a non-spintel-flamer-infested environment - and appreciate non-biased simple facts - and want to hang with knowledgeable people who are very aware of the spintel bias and twisted benchmarks, and are also aware of the performance issues of AMD - and it's not all bad btw (surprise), then have a look at the news and the forums at the zone:http://www.amdzone.com/index.php/home[/citation]

non-biased simple facts and you post a link to AMDZONE??

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Ha, by summer next year I'll be building my i7 computer that's will be 30 faster per clock and has a 30% higher overclock speed. That's 90% faster for a few bucks more.[/citation]
Bad math: 1.3*1.3=1.7 (well, almost 1.7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS