[SOLVED] AMD Phenom II x3 won't work in any AMD motherboard

Jun 6, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a really bad problem with one of my AMD Phenom II CPUs that I can't seem to fix. The CPU was initially bought with an ASRock AM3 motherboard and has worked ever since. But unfortunately, the ASRock motherboard was damaged when a pair of DDR2 DIMM ram sticks were forced into the DDR3 DIMM ram slots and it eventually bricked the motherboard to the point where it won't turn on. Assuming that since the ASRock motherboard probably couldn't be fix using any of my solutions or tools, I had attempted to use the CPU with another motherboard or desktop. But if I recall, I believe that the CPU didn't work with any of the motherboard or desktop, regardless if it had an AM2 or AM3 socket. I seem to have some memory of the CPU working on a desktop after the incident, but I can't confirm if it was reality or a dream. When I tested the CPU with multiple AM2 and AM3 systems, it didn't really work with the CPU, regardless of having an AM2 or AM3 socket, or regardless of the cooling system, ram, video card, power supply, or BIOS version. What's interesting is when I tested the CPU on a desktop with an AM2 socket, it failed to post, but the desktop also came with a PC speaker built in, and surprisingly, it gave an error code regarding the ram. However, when I tested multiple ram chips with different speeds or brands, or if I tried different ram slots and configurations, it wouldn't post. I finally decided to go on a forum where people would know more about this stuff than I do. If the CPU is truly can't be fixed, I understand.

Solution
memory controller resides on CPU, if u forced ddr2 rams into ddr3 slots..it probably killed your cpu aswell, or atleast memory controller (which is inside CPU), its not fixable
but that cpu should have two memory controllers, one for DDR2 (AM2+ boards) and one more for DDR3 (AM3)
some am3 boards have both ddr2/ddr3 which u can use either of them (not both)
AM2 boards arent compatible with phenom II (unless its phenom ii 920/940 but those wont work with am3)
memory controller resides on CPU, if u forced ddr2 rams into ddr3 slots..it probably killed your cpu aswell, or atleast memory controller (which is inside CPU), its not fixable
but that cpu should have two memory controllers, one for DDR2 (AM2+ boards) and one more for DDR3 (AM3)
AM2 boards arent compatible with phenom II (unless its phenom ii 920/940 but those wont work with am3)

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 6, 2021
Yeah, I think the CPU was damaged, because it didn't even post in the AM3 or AM3+ boards I used. Sorry if I didn't explain, I was kind of hesitant at first, but it was my Dad that had suggested the ram force into the ASRock AM3 motherboard as that was his system that he built in the late 2000s/early 2010s. I had warned him not to do the ram force, but it eventually happened, and he had to replace the motherboard and CPU with an Intel CPU and compatible motherboard. I just didn't want to draw any negative attention towards him. Sorry if my question didn't explain that.

Reactions: Bassman999