Amd phenom ii x4 965 black edition running cpu heavy games

Status
Not open for further replies.

huanwu26

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hi I have an amd phenom ii x4 965 black edition and I was wondering can this cpu take the load of running cpu heavy games at high setting while maintaining high fps (anywhere above 35 fps).

While I'm on the subject of running games, I am starting to hear from people (don't know if they are intel fanboys or not) that the amd phenom ii x4 965 black edition is starting to become outdated and obsolete at running newer games that depend a good amount of power from the cpu.

WARNING: NO FANBOY WARS, JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION

Thank you

chellebubblz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
My fiance has the Phenom II x4 965 and he can play WoW at Ultra at 55fps with the HD7770. Maybe not the kinda game you had in mind, but WoW is getting pretty CPU dependent these days, as much as video card.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
I switched over from an x4 630@3.5ghz to a ivybridge and the difference was night and day. Note though that the athlon does not have L3 cache so the phenom might prove better in some stances, but I still think that ivy is way way more powerful than AMD.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
For most games you won't see much of a difference (less than 10 fps difference) But for cpu intensive games the fps might dip by 20 fps (so 40 fps vs 60 fps)

The phenom is a good overclocker. Push it to its limits and just get a new build if it fries.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
With my Phenom II 965 @ 3.8 GHz I was getting pretty bad bottlenecks once I got my GTX 670 in games like Skyrim, BF3, even a little in Diablo. I wouldn't say you need to upgrade any time soon but I'd recommend looking into it. I saw a nearly 20 FPS difference on ultra when I switched to Ivybridge in BF3, and closer to 25-30 in Skyrim. It's not that it's a bad CPU, it's just an architecture that's beginning to show its age in more modern games, I mean, it's a four year old processor. Not a fanboy, just recognizing that switching to Intel really benefited me

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ya the 965 used to be the pinnacle of PRICE/PERFORMANCE. I was so pleased with that CPU when I got it. But fact is it's getting old. Don't get me wrong it's still a powerful Quad no doubt about it and you can rest assured with a 965 you still have a way more powerful CPU than come in most of todays OEM boxes.

But when it xomes to the gaming and performance world I noticed my Phenom starting to slip alot. It never did very well in Skyrim even at 4ghz. I was literally blown away after installing my 2600k. Everything was just so much more snappy within the UI itself and I noticed a huge spike in minimum frame rates of most games I play.

DCT1138

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Hello! ^_^ Over a year has gone by since this post has opened, (sorry to open old threads :3) yet no one has motioned anything about One other contributing factor... the motherboard.. is it AM2+,AM3 or AM3+, (all will run the Phenom II X4's but the AM3+ has a different Chipset,some board have separated power planes to your CPU allowing for better 'Graphics', giving better load balance between your cpu & gpu (Working some what, like the newer APUs)... that would be just ONE factor... another is, what is the Northbridge on your motherboard???... I would be very, VERY interested as to what motherboard people are running whom say it Wont work ^_^ (you totally CAN put a High-pro, fully Turbo injected boxer four engine, into a 1970's VW bug ^_^, BUT!!!, you'll Never get the full output of the motor to the ground/asphalt because it "Bottlenecks" with the max performance of the ("stock")Transmission, axels, wheel bearings, tires, suspension, as well as other parts that would effect the FULL potential power the motor has to give. with this said, I built my machine when the Phenom II was so new, I still LAUGH/Cry at the price I paid for it... I have NEVER had a problem Running ANY modern games on them at all (Had to update my mother board from a slooooow 790N.B. & Updated my Graphics cards twice since 2009, I run my Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition with a single 4g Radeon card, and have run COD Ghosts, Thief, Bio shock Inf., BattleField 4.... so on & so forth ^_^... Granted, there ARE indeed MUCH better prossesors out there beside the AMD Phenom II X4, but as far as Modern Gaming goes, in short.. your fine.... (the XBone & PS4 both run on 2 "Jaguar" MOBILE-CPUs from AMD (IMHO nothing more than Glorified Mobile APU's ^_^, then SURE as SHOOTIN' your rig is fine for sometime to come. even some duo-core systems will STILL work Superb for gaming rigs, given the components play well together ^_~ (most likely too late by now ^_^ but ,Please, if anyone has some benchmarks proving the Phenom II x4 9xx is an obsolete processor for Gaming rigs, I would Sure love to see them numbers! ^_^)

brokenbc

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Old thread is old.However I have an old Phenom II B50 X4 @ 3700. It still dose quite well in almost ALL the games I play. planetside2 and battlefield4 were the only two games in a while to give my poor old girl any trouble. However both games have released performance patch's that fixed the problem for Me. So all is well again. No to be perfectly honest it is only in benchmarks that i can clearly see my CPU bottle necking. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2119779. In real life she is still kicking it nicely.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

If you want somebody to read a post like this you should really break it up into paragraphs. I had to quit about a quarter of the way through it.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I still have my P2 964 @4.2 ghz and those sying they can't tell the difference from it and something like a 2500k well;I would have to question their perception Lol.

As much as I love my 965 it is way outdated by now. It will struggle running most newer titles that are CPU bound even in the slightest. Heck even with a heavy OC my 965 can't maintain 60 fps. I'm talking even with an OC here.

Is the 965 still a descent gaming CPU? If you're running a GTX 760 or lower and playing games not CPU bound then yes. If you're wnating to drive a more powerful GFX card or expect a smooth experience in CPU bound games then no.

rehkhan97

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

Superkoopatrooper

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Honestly, if all you need is to play games around 30fps then you will be fine for years with that cpu. Also, dont ever get used to 60 fps or above because it becomes a lot more expensive. I cant stand anything below 75hz now and If my game drops to 59.99999 fps even a few times I start getting bit by the upgrade bug. Use a program like radeonpro to limit the framerate of your games to a consistent flat 30 fps and that should make it look a lot better then the game jumping from 50 to 30 to 45 to 60 to 30. just lock it at 30. I dont recommend using vsync as it causes additional input lag and it wont help you trying to game at 30fps.

Think of it this way. Every intel core is worth 2 AMD cores. AMD doesn't manufacture the chips they design so they cant really compete as much as they used to. Yes, intel chips are really really as good as everyone says it is. Even the i3, people tend to forget it has 4 threads and it tends to be more then capable in almost every/ all games. If you ever do consider upgrading, you should take a look at the i3s. That way, if a good price on a great cpu comes along, you have a really nice upgrade path in the future. drop an i7 in there years from now and you would be a happy camper. Even better are those anniversary Pentiums that only cost double digits. I hate to say it but that 2 core, 2 thread would be an upgrade from the phenom. Just something to consider.

Tkconserve

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
The 965 Deneb is great on games that use four threads. When Rome first can out, I shut down three cores, and numbed up a core to 4.4 ghz and turned on turbo boost. It helped me get 20+fps. I get 40-60 on far cry with evwrythingbincluding AA maxed out. Now that Rome is threading, I have everything on extreme and all specs on max with excellent results. It is all about the way the game is threaded.

Tkconserve

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Also, it is all about the PCI express lanes. The mobo, Intel cpu, south bridge all have to be optimized for the PCI express lanes. the z67 mobo had a bottleneck on the southbridge. The latest I5 is 50% faster than the 965 Deneb only on the most generous benchmarks. The real advantage is the motherboards, and integration to handle more lanes.

niavlys

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
Hi guys, I know this is an old post but I thought my input would be interesting nevertheless. We're in Arpil 2016 now, and my 965 just went bad, so I was browsing the net to find a replacement. I just wanted something "equal" to it since even nowadays, I can still play ANY of the most recent games with everything at maximum without any problem. So no way in 2013, this CPU coulad have been in any way begining to slow down with "modern" games (for 2013). I agree with DCT1138. The problem has never been the CPU. It was probably the MOBO that was getting old and you wrongly blamed the CPU for it. I am running my 965 on an asus m5a99x evo2 (that dates from the same time as the 965 came on the market. The only thng I had to upgrade since one years or so, is my GPU (I now run an HD 6970 and again, even with everything set to max, it runs any game smoothly). I overclocked it a little but (it runs at 4.0 ghz). So in short, YES this CPU can run heavy stuff without any problem even now, in mid 2016 with the latest games.

chellebubblz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I have to disagree with that. My husband had to run WoW on low settings the last year or so with an HD 7770 and some like Fallout 4 and ARK were nearly unplayable. Other less intensive games ran just fine so I think it depends what types of games you are into. He upgraded to an AMD 6 core processer and it's like night and day. I think you can get away with this CPU but I do think it makes more sense to upgrade to a Vishera 6 core for $100 if you are replacing anyways. That's just my opinion though. The fact is that it IS outdated, which is why it is hard to find it. You won't find one on Newegg that is not refurbished. It was great in its day, it lasted my husband 3-4 years and even in the end, it was still running fine, he just wanted more power.

Thentilian

Commendable
May 18, 2016

I know this is an old thread, but with some recent answers. I have an MSI 870 g45 mobo, with a PII 965 @ 3.8. I run the NB @ 2.4Ghz. I have pushed it to 4ghz and 2.6 on the NB, but required more voltage than I was comfortable with. And my mobo is not exactly known to be a good overclocker... I recently purchased an R9 390 XFX DD. It's unlocked voltage and overclocked to 1125/1600. I actually had no need to push extra volts, since I had a pretty decent ASIC quality on my GPU.

Anyways, I had a 560 TI 2GB card, and when I got ARK, it was unplayable. It wasn't because of the CPU, it was the graphics card holding it back. I run things on high/epic and can push 30ish FPS @ 1680x1050 depending on structures and amount of dinos on screen. Other places I can get as high as 50+

I did have access to an 4770k system I installed my GPU on it, and managed to pull an extra 5 to 15, but @ 1080p, largely depending on on-screen objects and dinos. So, while my PII is bottle-necking my GPU a bit on a game like ARK, it's not TERRIBLE for the resolution I run.

Yeah, going to a 6 core FX would make a difference, but not one that I'm willing to buy into a dead socket, since Zen is probably going to release around the end of this year. I can hold out a bit longer. I'd prefer to go AMD, not that I'm a fan boy, but Intel has always just left a sour taste in my mouth with their pricing schemes and tier options for their products.

Including a screen cap from the Center map on our private server. I am at 47 FPS, using the Steam overlay. Hard to see in the picture at the top right corner.
tarehu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.