AMD Phenom II X6 1090T And 890FX Platform Review: Hello, Leo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Great article.

However I'm really more interested in how the sub-$200 Phenom X6 will affect the pricing of the i5-750. I had planned on using the i5-750 in my build this summer. Anybody think Intel will lower their prices in order to compete with the pricing of AMD?

Or will they claim that their 4-core offerings perform just as well as AMD's six-core offerings (which was apparently true in some of the tests done here)?

I'm just lookin' to save a few bucks this summer :) I love competition in the computer marketplace...

G

Bad Company 2 is not just another game; it Frostbite engine can really push multiple cores

yellowsnow4free

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I've been waiting for this review all day.

Seems to me that for gaming, it looks like Intel still has the better price:performance ratio with the i5 750 and the i7's though.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]notty22[/nom]Were the Intel Cpu's , for example the I5 750 tested with Turbo enabled ?[/citation]

Yes, I keep all of the power-saving and value-added features enabled to emulate the way an end-user would utilize the hardware. From here on out you'll continue to see Intel CPUs tested with Turbo Boost and properly-enabled AMD CPUs tested with Turbo CORE turned on!

G

the core i7 980 games won and lost ties for little difference phenom II x6, and still the core i7 980 wins and loses and draws a little difference of core and core i7920 i5. if you compare the Core i7 980 at x6 phenom II is much better to take the phenom II x6, it has about the same peformance in games and is much cheaper in price, blushed as the 7980 costs $ 999 and a phenom II x6 289 U.S. dollars, plus a phenom who has a 965 and II, core i7 920 will have very good performance for a long time, and much better get a card with powerful phenom II 965 or corei7920 than a corei7980.

G

For BC2 numbers - check Tweaktown page 9
The i7 980x is marginally better but at a price

G

the core i7 980 games won and lost ties for little difference phenom II x6, and still the core i7 980 wins and loses and draws a little difference of core and core i7920 i5. if you compare the Core i7 980 at x6 phenom II is much better to take the phenom II x6, it has about the same peformance in games and is much cheaper in price, blushed as the corei7 980 costs $ 999 and a phenom II x6 289 U.S. dollars, plus a phenom who has a 965 and II, core i7 920 will have very good performance for a long time, and much better get a card with powerful phenom II 965 or corei7 920 than a corei7 980.

Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Oke it doesn't keep up with Intels latest and greatest, but at it's price point it really must make people think about their next upgrade. This new processor seems to best the I7 920/930 in a lot of applications while playing in at the same price. Good job AMD! I would however have wanted to see some overclocking results.

Great review Chris!

Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Oke it doesn't keep up with Intels latest and greatest, but at it's price point it really must make people think about their next upgrade. This new processor seems to best the I7 920/930 in a lot of applications while playing in at the same price. Good job AMD! I would however have wanted to see some overclocking results.

Great review Chris!

Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Great review Chris!

joneemcdowell

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
AMD X6 1090T or CORE I7 930???? HELP!! I'm confused now. I can buy the 930 for $199 from mirco-center and OC it to 4.2Ghz. So is that a better way to go instead of getting the AMD 1090t?

-Jonee

clueless smurf

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
from what i understand AMD and intel are about even proformance in gaming and was wondering do you think this chip will stack up to the 17 980X in future games?? and how much slower is this chip then the core i7 930?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Tridec[/nom]Oke it doesn't keep up with Intels latest and greatest, but at it's price point it really must make people think about their next upgrade. This new processor seems to best the I7 920/930 in a lot of applications while playing in at the same price. Good job AMD! I would however have wanted to see some overclocking results.Great review Chris![/citation]

Yeah I have to say I would deeply consider buying one of these as my next system, this statement from me carries some weight as I am an Intel man. The thing that has me considering it is that more Mhz gets me almost nothing these days (single threaded aps are slowly going out of style and I tend to use a machine for 2-4 years) so in 4 years I can see more cores being more useful then more Mhz.

Add the price difference in and hmmm who doesn't like to save money?

Edit: More Mhz for me would be useful if I played something more demanding then WoW (I find myself playing less and less video games these days, must be getting old.... *sigh*)

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
So basically 6-core PII-X6 performs just about the same as 4-core i7 if they are OCed to the same frequency... Not impressed at all performance-wise! How sad that AMD CPUs need 50% more cores to match Intel CPUs at any given frequency. Given that the PII-X6 1090T costs approximately the same as i7-930/i7-860, I will definitely choose i7 between the two considering i7 OCs higher and more efficient.

1055T which costs a little more than i5-750 seems to be the only hope for AMD now. It would be a huge success for AMD if the 1055T can at least reach 4GHz, because consumers would get an i7 equivalence for the price of i5-750. Otherwise, although PII-X6 is definitely not a fail, it would not be impressive/attractive too.

G

Someone care to explain how an increase in 730mhz CPU-clock can give 15.28 more fps in Crysis!?

Core i7-930 @ 3.66ghz gives 77fps in 1680x1050 with no AA. Simply amazing, and no mention of this in the article...

dranicus

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Im going to get this processor over-clock it to 4.0 on water, hold off on the 890fx I already have the MSI 790FX-GD70. I think they should have implemented hyper-threading in this processor it would have put it over the top. Overall its a good showing against the I-7's. But the arc is still similar to the PH X4 which still shows the limits of that arc.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
6 cores for less than $200? That's a hell of a stopgap measure. Too bad not many people need / use this many cores but who knows, maybe the prevalence of cheap multicores will push programmers to make more strongly threaded applications and games.

G

I am pretty amazed at this huge step by my favorite Enthusiast company AMD.
They have outdone themselves. With the 6core. I think i need to sleep on getting the new setup. I bought a 5850 this weekend, and i was able to play crysis at about 30fps. I would love to hit 50+ that would be butter. Building computers is an addiction. Better than gambling, and safer than drinking.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
what i want to see is a dual socket amd X6 vs a single intel 6 core ;) just looking at what money can buy, im sure amd 2x X6 > then all intel single chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.