AMD Phenom II X6 1090T And 890FX Platform Review: Hello, Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
My 4 core Core2Quad @ 2.83 is still working everything great, so I won't be upgrading. Nice to see the price for 6 cores is very reasonable though!

G

This maaayy just be my "conspiracy theory" but please also test nvidia cards with the processors. Not flacking AMD or anything but there could possibly be optimizations and "reverse optimizations" for the processors.

I just cant remember tom's last review that had an nvidia card with an AMD processor.

theDARKW0LF

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Lol I was just into the hype at that last post, I didn't even start to read the review, now I think I'll just go back to the Phenom II X4, ah well lol

G

Finally this article comes out. I've been waiting since the morning for this. Lol but anyway, good read.

Being that I have seemed to changed my use of my pc more toward video editing than gaming I am definitely selling off my Q9550 and going with the AMD X6. I still game some but don't care to have the cutting edge video card atm so this is perfect for me. I'm buying from AMD for my next cpu! Way to go AMD! I still have another Q9550 system so don't think I'm an AMD fan boy but I do love it when AMD gives such a great value for such a great product. Everyone should...

G

You know, AMD can make a 48core CPU, but if it performs worse than Intel's 4 core, than it does not matter that it costs only as much as Intel's 4 core.

In this case, it does not perform better than i7-920, even though the 920 is a 4 core cpu (and no, no one really runs it at 2.66, everyone pushes it at least to 3, since it takes nothing to get it to that speed, and it right away outperforms AMD's 6 core, and has a much better memory throughput).

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]englandr753[/nom]Is the X6 1090T not oc'able at all? It would seem there should be some headroom for overclock to some degree. Starting out at 3.2g makes me think you should be able to get fairly close to 4.0.[/citation]

I was able to hit 3.7 with Turbo CORE enabled fairly easily. It might go higher, but I'd argue this probably isn't as much of an overclocking chip as a 965 might be.

deividast

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
[citation][nom]jemlinus[/nom]Great. Six cores for under $200, and I don't have to change my mobo and memory cards. Can't go wrong with that![/citation]

Actually it's under 300$, but still really affordable :) to bad i'd have to change my mobo and ram for it :) so i'll stick to my 4 cores for the time being :D

So, my understanding the only ocing you can do is with turbocore? 2 cores or less are working to hit the 3.7? If this is so, this is a little disappointing but as I said for video editing, 6 cores even at 3.2 sounds sweet to me. Thanks for the review and the replies! Nice job!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I remember we did have few articles here talking about what happen when there are multiple programs running at the same time (which I belive is closer to the reality). Will 6-core system look better when there are 2-3 program running at the same time?
Like playing games while having handbreak and antivirus running at the same time.

[citation][nom]Doltron[/nom]I think you should add Bad Company 2 to the benchmarks.[/citation]

I can see why you would but do you realize the time this would take to do everyones favorite game? Not a reasonable thing to do...

jemlinus

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]deividast[/nom]Actually it's under 300$, but still really affordable to bad i'd have to change my mobo and ram for it so i'll stick to my 4 cores for the time being[/citation]
I was talking about 1055T. ;)

jemlinus

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]MK3[/nom]You know, AMD can make a 48core CPU, but if it performs worse than Intel's 4 core, than it does not matter that it costs only as much as Intel's 4 core.In this case, it does not perform better than i7-920, even though the 920 is a 4 core cpu (and no, no one really runs it at 2.66, everyone pushes it at least to 3, since it takes nothing to get it to that speed, and it right away outperforms AMD's 6 core, and has a much better memory throughput).[/citation]

Hey Intel fanboy. Wrong thread man. Why don't you go to "I'll never see a six cores because I bought a LGA1056 mobo" thread.

Doltron

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

BC2 is probably one of the first games that can really use 4 cores, and since this is a cpu review with 4+ cores......

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]englandr753[/nom]I can see why you would but do you realize the time this would take to do everyones favorite game? Not a reasonable thing to do...[/citation]

Well, I had it in there for the GTX 480 review. It's a very GPU-bound game at the settings I'd *personally* want to play at, so I don't think it adds much to a processor story. But, for gaming, certainly a valid suggestion! If only I could phase out Crysis without getting called-out ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.