AMD Posts First Profit in Three Years

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Very nice AMD! spend wisely The Big Brother down the Block IBM has some nice stuff You guys should look to invest into. Say 40% better performance per a clock with 25% less power is good goal to aim at i think. IBM maybe able to take you down NM. Just need a high efficiency design and manufacturing. To early to jump on the Fiber Optic train?

hannibal

Distinguished
Now AMD, can we see some real SoC's?
Intel has paired a power CPU with a weak GPU.
You could do a mediocre CPU with a powerful GPU.
I want one.

Well this is actually the only area, where AMD has a change of making faster product than Intell at this moment (not counting pure GPU's)...
The problem seems to be that the smaller production node technology that is needed for good CPUGPU is area where Intel has upper hand.

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Great! I hope AMD uses it for more R&D to really battle Intel.

On a side note, AMD is beginning to close the gap and is slowly edging towards sustainable profitability. It could be another couple years away, but it is coming... they need to pair up with some great partners to make it happen, but it is very possible at this point!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Actualy if you look at it closely is still as grim as till now ... they are still in heavy losses, so sad that consumers still go for intel even though they don`t buy the top of the line products ... if AMD doesn`t get out of this hole soon it will be a very grim feature in IT since intel will monopolize the CPU market so we`ll be back at 1000$ CPU equivalent to a i5 750, then i would like to see how many intel fanatic fanboys will be still out there, tough this will teach them a very hard lesson it will have a huge impact into the PC industry ... who knows maybe it will be the end of the PC as an entertainment platform so consoles will have their full much cheaper glory.

G

If they could just convince Intel to give them a billion and a quarter every 90 days, they could become a viable company.

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
First let me acknowledge that Intel makes the faster, more energy efficient CPU, and NVidia graphics are state of the art.
I am an AMD/ATI fanboy from way back. At first, AMD made the faster processors. Now, they make the processors that give the biggest bang for the buck. I always liked ATI, because they started as a Canadian company (like, Awsome, eh?), and then they were purchased by AMD and entered the biggest bang for the buck era. Competition rules!! If there was no AMD/ATI we would be paying a fortune for our components. When Intel is the fastest, AND the best bang for the buck, I will buy an Intel CPU. Until then, I go where I can get the best deal while achieving excellent performance.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
intels upgrade paths are practically non existant.

so while they may be fast now,
a motherboard a must and probably ram next time you buy a cpu.
intel pcs are larger money pitts than amd processors for more reasons than just initial cpu cost.

i see all intel products as dead ducks in the water.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
AMD needs to spend about a billion dollars on R&D over the next year or two. Then the computing market will get interesting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts