AMD Posts First Profit in Three Years

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
hope it helps them make more powerful cpu's, they made it on gpu's so I believe they will too in cpu's, I want amd to defeat intel not only on value but on performance as well. Way to go amd!

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
AMD got some of the money back from what Intel stole from them by dirty tricks. If it had been a fair game from the beginning, AMD would had profits ever year.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Wow, it's incredible how many people think AMD is in the black now. AMD is STILL burning money according to their own statement. As some people pointed out, without the settlement they lost money. This is really bad specially when Intel posted stellar results for the same quarter. What this says is that AMD competitivity is still sub par.

I'd love to see AMD in better shape but the time is clearly not now.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Why does AMD have such a small CPU market share? As per Tom's Hardware and others' recommendations (for example "Best Gaming CPU For The Money"), AMD is recommended on most price points, especially in the entry-level and mid-range segments. If you want to buy the fastest available processor for $100, most experts will recommend AMD. Why do they have such a puny market share then? I think it's kind of like McDonald's. Most people react to advertising and just don't know better.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Wow, it's incredible how many people think AMD is in the black now. AMD is STILL burning money according to their own statement. As some people pointed out, without the settlement they lost money. This is really bad specially when Intel posted stellar results for the same quarter. What this says is that AMD competitivity is still sub par.I'd love to see AMD in better shape but the time is clearly not now.[/citation]
And what, you don't think they spent any extra this quarter than they would have without the extra 1.25B? How much did they have to pay thier lawyers? That went into the spending.

Sure, if you just subtract the settlement, they took another loss, but thats not business math, with money comes spending. You have to subtract both.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... they worked hard... to get out of the bottomless pit... good work!!! The GPU's are great... and now they have some for CPU R'n'D...

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
The real test is 1st qtr 2010, without the 1.25 billion extraordinary income from Intel. AMD cpu's still can't compete performance-wise with Intel. Market shares for notebooks and netbooks are practically insignificant.

notty22

Distinguished
The ATI fangirls need to come back to reality. Nvidia and Intel are not on the same team . They are not in league against AMD. It might seem that way with AMD/ATI being 2nd best at both cpu's to Intel and gpu's to Nvidia.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]AMD cpu's still can't compete performance-wise with Intel.[/citation]

Check out Best Gaming CPUs For The Money where AMD is recommended for most price points. The i7 territory is insignificant market share wise as opposed to netbooks, notebooks and entry level systems. The reasons AMD has such a small market share has to be something else, maybe the fact that it doesn't advertise like Intel or it doesn't engage in anticompetitive practices.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]noob2222[/nom]And what, you don't think they spent any extra this quarter than they would have without the extra 1.25B? How much did they have to pay thier lawyers? That went into the spending. Sure, if you just subtract the settlement, they took another loss, but thats not business math, with money comes spending. You have to subtract both.[/citation]
I'm sorry but your post doesn't make sense to me. Your arguments seem to derive from passion rather than logic. Are you suggesting that the $65M loss is from legal expenses? Come on! The extra expenditure obviously didn't translate in increased revenue. Investors know this and that's why the stock took a beating after the earnings report (3X higher than the general drop the market had on Friday).

ashrafpasha

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
After getting 1.25 the profit is 1.65? is my maths bad? or something wrong with AMDs profit? does it mean they earned mere .4B$$?

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]CptTripps[/nom]You mean like ATI's current offerings? The only thing worth upgrading to in my case is a 5850 or 5870. They are now starting to be readily available with their high pricetag to go along with em.Or is $400 is not very expensive to you?[/citation]

$400 for the 5870 which essentially has no competition seems very reasonable. when nvidia 3xx cards are released that may change, but then prices will come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.