AMD Posts Ryzen Community Update; Power Patch Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroro

Splendid
I believe Windows is improperly bouncing threads between the two CCXs, which causes a ~6x increase in latency as the cache catches up. More latency = more missed frames = fewer overall frames. That would still be an issue with the scheduler.
Straight up disabling a CCX may show clock-for-clock performance gains in games.

Cormaster 628

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Really not sure what everyone is complaining about my Ryzen 1700x and gtx1060 are working great together. Hell of an upgrade over my phenom 3!

G

So "High performance" power plan gives you higher performance, and "Balanced" uses less power? Gee, who would have thought.

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
Well that explains why my temp readings seemed really weird. My bios would report 34c and when monitoring in Windows it would bounce to anywhere from 47c to 55c at idle

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

When optimized (i.e. as it is for Intel platforms), Balanced should not negatively affect performance in a meaningful way. Ryzen seems to be experiencing an unusually large performance hit in Balanced mode, at least in some applications.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
who wants to be performance will go down once this patch hits? Then i start to wonder if AMD did this intentionally or not. why must i be so cynical

The way the scheduler news hits me is that AMD knows full well there is an issue (as many are demonstrating at various tech sites) and has to wait for MS to get around to issuing a patch for W10...in the mean time the very last thing AMD wants is for "joe average" computer user to start thinking Ryzen isnt compatible with W10...

Jasonelmore,
AMD does not want performance to be lower. They will do everything they can to sort out the various issues. It's a new architecture and there are always growing pains. For various reasons the software aspect of things was lagging the hardware launch.

Now cherry-picking tests prior to the launch to make themselves look better, such as testing games at 4K (to eliminate the CPU as the bottleneck) is a different story.

Ruggo181

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
"JONATHAN1683 Mar 14, 2017, 5:10 PM
and AMD is barely figuring this stuff out now lol?"

Obviously you weren't around with the Intel X99 fiasco, The one where some people are still having problems, lol.

Cordt_

Commendable
May 10, 2016

You mean like so many people did when comparing the 980ti to the fury x by giving 1080p frame rates and ignoring that the fury x is better at QHD/UHD?

Geekwad

Admirable
Yup, just like that. At 7680x1440p, Crossfired Fury X's often outperformed the competition....something that a few people just had a extraordinarily hard time internalizing.

DragonAsta

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Phenom 3 you say, I only have a phenom 2 am so far behind LMAO.

Brand spanking new design with many new novel features very much more advanced and intelligent design then others seem to have done, there WILL be optimizations and tweaks need to be done, other makers such as Nvidia and mighty Intel have also had and continue to have in many ways, AMD is far far from the worst offender.

One thing I find interesting, if their reported temps are 20c higher, then they are running VERY efficiently for how much power used vs how high a temperature they report, they seem at least as good as if not superior to anything Intel offers even though they using a 14nm "unoptimized supposedly power hungry process" vs Intel 14nm cutting edge full finfet design.

Maybe it has something to do with AMD choosing to use a proper thickness die vs a thinner pcb layer like Intel currently uses, certainly using proper solder that is a bit pricier vs Intel cost cutting using thermal paste(certainly helps they did not seem to chop features away all over product lines like Intel and Nvidia tend to do either)

AMD is on the ball, they did exactly what they said they would, challenging Intel at the high end(trickle down for the mainstream and budget soon enough) as well as having solid answers for the mainstream gamers in the form of Polaris soon to be RX 500 and Vega series.

Do they make the most powerful push right to the edge for performance, no, but I daresay from my experience they perform very well for the power they consume(able to do more with it as well) they do not go out of way lying to make themselves appear so much better in power/temps/performance or via BS code tweaks, they are also built very very well many times far more so than immediate competition from a built to last standpoint.

G

Before you blame AMD you guys should know that power management feature still fails on Intel CPUs in certain configuration because retarded MS was never able to patch Windows 10 and properly support hardware. Again, if you are a gamer do yourself a favor and switch to Win7...much better.

G

Almost forgot, perhaps Toms Hardware could do something other reviewers did not and do benchmark of x1800 in Windows 7 and Windows 10. Intel platform does not have to be involved....just run same 11 games. It should not be that hard. At this point all you have to do is to run for Windows 7 platform, you already have Windows 10 numbers.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Professional%20Gaming/index.us.asp

ASRock is better choice than Asus board and they provide drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8.x

@Freak777power... How many other conditions must be met to satisfy your need for additional X1800 tests? I'd suggest you buy your own ASRock board, X1800, Windows 7 and publish your own review.

Would it be helpful for most people? Maybe?

I already think the X1800 is a step in the right direction for AMD. I game at 1440p and don't have any reservation about buying a new R5/R7 AMD processor for gaming if it makes financial sense.

While true this also goes back to game developers optimizing. It can also cause an above average amount of cache misses if not optimized properly by game developers. The quad core 1500x may give some suprizes on April the 11th if AMD release all the R5's on that day.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

Phenom 2 you say? I'm still using an original Phenom, the one with the bugged firmware. CPU still runs a linux box in my living room that stays up 24/7 and it's current up-time is since the Ubuntu 16.10 install shortly after release. Sadly my main Phenom 2 system died recently (end of last year) and I upgraded to a Skylake chip, I couldn't wait for the Ryzen chips to come out. Glad to see they're doing so well though!

Is this what you are referring to?...

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/03/amds-ryzen-cpus-arent-running-as-hot-as-they-say-they-are/

G

Here is proof that Windows 10 sucks compared to Windows 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DE83lMVio

Ryzen performs much better under Windows 7 in fact nothing is broken. It just happens that Toms Hardware is afraid of MS to run test through Windows 7 in general to show to people what smoking pile of crap Windows 10 is. I dare you to do benchmark on Windows 7 and Ryzen.

mrcoolbreeze704

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
You can't expect the masses to know the difference between w7 and w10 and the fact that its yet behind w8 as well makes that whole argument moot lol they won't know how to downgrade os's etc but regardless of w10 benchmarks I can't wait to get a ryzen quad core to dual boot my Ubuntu and linux mint system with steam :)

mrcoolbreeze704

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
You can't expect the masses to know the difference between w7 and w10 and the fact that its yet behind w8 as well makes that whole argument moot lol they won't know how to downgrade os's etc but regardless of w10 benchmarks I can't wait to get a ryzen quad core to dual boot my Ubuntu and linux mint system with steam :)

Status
Not open for further replies.