AMD Processor vs. XBox360 or PS3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
As many of the people on these noted, I would avoid cheap RAM. Low cost quality is what I'd go for.

just my $0.02

EDIT: I like technology_coordinator's suggestions, though.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Well the price of the ps3 is going to keep me away but I used this same line of thinking when the dream cast came out used that for surfing the web and games and got a real cheap pc for everything else. Then i found out i did nothing else but surf the web so the pc was a waist.
Then came the xbox so i used the same theory, even better is that with the mod chips i could do pretty much anything on the xbox. and got a cheap pc to fill that empty desk. But then the games for the xbox SUCKED so i had to get a better pc to play better games, there is only so long i can play halo for.
So i had to spen even more money for a pc that can play games.

How much will the ps3 cost? I hear from $400 to $900<in the sd tribune this weekend.

on a side note you can buy a refurb dell for cheap and better then a new cheap pc.
last week i got a e510 p4 630, 250gb sata,ddr 512mb 533hz ,2 dvd burner 1 of wich is a double layer, external usb floppy ,a 128mb x300e pcie card, xp home or media dont remember wich one for $331 plus $24 shipping my friend got the same one for $345 with free shipping 2 weeks ago.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
i have found console game graphics far from ideal. its just my opinion. i never liked staring at my TV for such extended periods.

the first and the last time i bought a console for the game was a PS2. i sold it away after 2 months.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I would think that PS3's HD picture would be as good as PC now. The problem is, consoles are consoles, with average lifespan of 3 yrs or so, while PC grpahics advance every 6 months, roughly, so by the end of the console's life PC's graphics will likely be way superior.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I would think that PS3's HD picture would be as good as PC now.
Think about that statement. What resolution is HD? What resolutions do serious gamers use when playing on their PC? :lol:

The era of the console being equal to or better than a PC are long over, and likely won't ever come back, because in terms of color depth, refresh rate, and resolution, TVs just don't compare to computer monitors anymore.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
So, I had an epiphany. Buy a basic AMD processor, low feature motherboard, some cheap ram, a dvd-burner, a hard drive and whatever else it takes to complete the system and buy the PS3 for gaming.
I love gaming on consoles, but never for serious gaming. Consoles are like gokarts. They're fun. They're tons of fun. But people drive real cars for a reason.

It's not just that PCs can have better graphics and better sound. It's also about the control. You pick up a console's controller, and while fairly intuitive, you lack some very basic concepts. You don't have quick and precise manual aiming like you do with a mouse. And you're stuck with a rather limited number of buttons. Keep the game simple and the buttons will be enough. Design a complex game such as a good FPS, and your buttons become a noticable limitation.

Consoles are fun little devices, and can provide hours and hours of fun, but once you start playing some serious games on a PC you'll forget that console even exists. :lol:

What I would suggest is get your console, and build yourself an inexpensive PC, but make sure that your PC is set up to be added to later. Get a good feature-rich motherboard, an affordable single stick of good RAM, a hearty power supply, and the cheapest CPU and graphics that you can throw into that system. Then if you ever see what I'm talking about one day, you're all set to invest more into your PC and bring it up to snuff as a gaming rig. :)

Another option would just be to get the cheapest PC on earth and ditch it for a decent box one day, but a lot of people find upgrading piece by piece a more affordable and satisfying path than saving up forever to eventually do a total replacement.

mpjesse

Splendid
I don't know if I'd support your decision, but I plan on buying a PS3 as well. Consider the fact that a lot of PC titles are exponentially better than any console title (Half Life 2, Doom 3, Quake 4, AOE II, FEAR just to name a few). The only title worth mentioning (in terms of superiority) on the console side is Halo/Halo 2. Just about every other game (Splinter Cell for example) eventually hits the PC and it's usually better on PC.

PlayStation has the best titles of both consoles- period. No one can argue this. Although, with the ever so increasing popularity of the Xbox 360/Xbox, most developers will be forced to release one time "exclusive" PS titles on Xbox. So in the end they're probably about equal... or are they?

Let us not forget the PS3 will be using a Bluray drive. Xbox 360 currently ships with a plain 'ole DVD-ROM (though M$ has said they'll be releasing a HD-DVD attachment, but for how much???). Considering what standalone bluray DVD players will initially cost, the PS3 seems like a no brainer to me. (that is of course if you're interested in HD DVD's & Gaming, which I am)

This time around the PS3 is going to be equally matched (in terms of technology) to the Xbox 360 (if not more so). The PS2 was a joke IMO- they didn't even <think> about pixel shading- something the Xbox did out of the box. Granted Xbox came out 1 year later, but pixel shading was around when the PS2 was introduced.

Anyways, I'm going to get a PS3 this time around. Xbox 360 just ain't doing it for me.

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
**I have not read the 1st page of this thread, and I don't intend to, so what I say may have already been said**

I read that the Cell processor (which is a joke if you look at the architecture deeply enough) is not more powerful than current AMD & Intel offerings, because of the design of the SPE's and the fact that programming for each SPE is like ripping your skin off with a nail filer, and thus many programmers (from what I read) won't be using more than 2-3 of the SPE's anyways. Even the X360 Tri-Core is not as poweful as current offerings of AMD & Intel. The PS3 uses a variation of OpenGL for it's Graphics API, which has gotten me excited and wondering how much I can pick up an SDK for ^_^ hehe. It will be interesting to see how the Cell performs in real-world servers when IBM decides to release it.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I love gaming on consoles, but never for serious gaming. Consoles are like gokarts. They're fun. They're tons of fun. But people drive real cars for a reason.
I feel the same way. Consoles are good for first-person shooters. But you miss out on a wide variety of other types of games, many of which have vibrantly active modding communities.
I played around with the Morrowind series for two years (including the two expansions). Since the game came bundled with the developers' tools, you could do pretty much anything you wanted to the game: make a super character, add more people, create a house for your character where you could store stuff ... the PS2 version of the game cost about the same but was missing all the extra features.
There's lots of things you can do on a computer that you just can't do on a console.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I feel the same way. Consoles are good for first-person shooters. But you miss out on a wide variety of other types of games, many of which have vibrantly active modding communities.
I played around with the Morrowind series for two years (including the two expansions). Since the game came bundled with the developers' tools, you could do pretty much anything you wanted to the game: make a super character, add more people, create a house for your character where you could store stuff ... the PS2 version of the game cost about the same but was missing all the extra features.
There's lots of things you can do on a computer that you just can't do on a console.

Consoles suck for FPS's, except Halo. I can't wait for Halo 2 on PC, though it requires Vista, which is another way M$ is gonna force people to get infected with their new version of Apple's OS.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well im just gonna go ahead and ignore dvd because theres a different thread talking about dell and in no way has he contributed to it by showing facts or even information thats useful in defending his opinion that dell sucks. but anyway to the point, ps3 is delayed to at least the end of 06, meaning, if u do ur plan ull have no real gaming until then, which is a long time to be without. ps3 is rumored to cost at LEAST 800 dollars, thats very steep to pay for a console thats going to be out of date 6 months after u buy it... plus the cheapo computer will be at least 400.. id rather spend the 1200 on a pimp rig now and upgrade that in 2 years or so :) much better idea, since gaming on computers is much better, controls just arnt for me... plus computers are a lot more customizable which is a big deal for a lot of people, me included, i like being able to pick out exactly what im getting in my box and pick what box i put it in, makes me feel special!!! its kinda the same reason why people pimp out cars, they want it to be personalized... thats also the reason why theres skins for the xbox and xbox 360, trying to make it more customizable, i know thats not the selling point of a computer, for me even, it just means a bit to me that i actually built the computer and pt what i wanted in it... rather than picking out which xbox u want, the core or a harddrive. but if i had an extra 500+ for an xbox id get one in a second, there really nice and becomming more like computers every generation, the 360 connects to ur network and can play ur music and videos too i think. u can save music onto it, play it while ur in a game, its pretty cool really, like a home theater/gaming center all in one... but 500 for the one with a harddrive is a bit steep for me since i have an 800 dollar computer already, and i wouldnt really use an xbox that much since i like keyboard/mouse more, but i must admit the 360 controller is VERY nice and fits very well in ur hand. if ur comparing the 3 id say pick 1 of the 3 dont get a computer and xbox or ps3. if u dont have a computer go to a thrift store or somthing and buy a p3 for like 30 bux to use for web browing and email n such...

as for the dell thing, dont even bother argueing with dvd, its not worth the text ur typing to prove that hes wrong, because there a law that he will never be right, its called parlee's law.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
parlee, I and I think others as well, will not be reading that post, it is border-line Illegible, dude, seriously, it's called P A R A G R A P H S!!

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
yea i dont type in paragraphs, if u cant read it then dont i dont give a shit. if u cant read english without paragraphs capital letters and indentations then u have a problem, ur luckey i even use commas and periods. that being said ur the only person whos ever said anything about it so i guess ur the only one that cant read if its not in paragraphs and typed like an essay, SORRY I DONT SPELL CHECK I KEEPS IT MAFUCKIN REAL!... my bad. so do u have an opinion or are u just gonna bitch about my grammer?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
yea i dont type in paragraphs, if u cant read it then dont i dont give a shit. if u cant read english without paragraphs capital letters and indentations then u have a problem, ur luckey i even use commas and periods. that being said ur the only person whos ever said anything about it so i guess ur the only one that cant read if its not in paragraphs and typed like an essay, SORRY I DONT SPELL CHECK I KEEPS IT MAFUCKIN REAL!... my bad. so do u have an opinion or are u just gonna bitch about my grammer?

I already stated my opinion, but I have formulated another.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
yea well ur opinion on how i type means nothing to me because every1 else seems to read it fine, but i meant an opinion on the actual topic instead of bitching at me because i dont feel like using propor grammer

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Just wait another couple to many months and you should be able to buy your PS3, there are being delayed for good reason. When they are spending near $1000 a console versus Xbox's $550, you have to.

I don't want to break the PS3 fans hopes, and I myself am not a console lover/fanboy of any kind (I am very objective), your are only lying to yourself if you think the 360 sucks and the PS3 will just dominate. Idealistic views will do that; you have to be realist. The 360 was thought to just be awesome, then you guys heard of heating issues, which are over exaggerated already, and now we come to the PS3 launch and what a de javu.

I'm not saying it will be just like it, but I will predict the PS3 will have its faults. With a price per unit almost doubling that of the Xbox360, Sony will either have to get rid of features or cut corners, something Microsoft did with the 360, get rid of features. I think the 360 is a great system, it is quite solid at a decent price, the PS3 will, I'm sure, do the same but probably have to come up with quite a skeem to pull off to make up the money they lost on the console. Either they will have higher prices, which I already imagine, because those fed up with the 360 will be willing to pay a price for a quality system, and/or they will have to develope a lot or some very interesting add ons like those universal remotes. I see them doing something really creative with their online use, most likely charging a fee.

The only thing that has gone through the wall is that they have had to delay the launch, I've heard earliest is August. This will be bad as some of the anti-360 people will be raving for many months, possibly go with the 360, not like it because they already taught themselves not to like it, try to get rid of it.

I also think though that the PS3 will have something much more next gen than the 360, if there postponing then launch, I would be willing to bet that they will get all of the people who are waiting until next Christmas to actually get a console. It won't be another 4 years until PS3 will have any competition. But they also will have to make sure they don't lose too many faithful console go getters between now and their launch. I think that this delayed launch will actually be much better for Sony, they will be able to think this through and properly react to the 360.
Too bad for me I use a PC, though I use it more like a console when gaming because I like the controller, helps with Halo 2 practice, and also the 10' screen I play on :D .

Now I laid out two scenarios, one with a advantageous longer delay, and one with a shorter troublesome delay. I think Sony will choose the prior, and might be forced to, because some of the thing they need to do to achieve the latter may be nearly impossible, practically at least. Those that are sticking with a PC, just make sure you know why actually think it through, because once you do, you save money, you just have to know how :D . I hate how some people compare the PC and console, not the fact that they are being complete morons, but because they never are objective. They always give the fewest amount of details, maybe one figure for numbers, and thats it. Once you actually financially figure it out, I will decide to listen to the rest of your arguement, hopefully it will prove a point.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
If feel the same was as Mike.

Back to the console issue; I like console gaming for multiplayer with friends. Hell, I own two Gamecubes for 8 player Mario Kart.

Amk

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2004
To be honest, I use computers for more than games...and so do you. Your here posting this topic arent you?

I cannot see that the PC can be replaced, it does far more than games.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
To be honest, I use computers for more than games...and so do you. Your here posting this topic arent you?

I cannot see that the PC can be replaced, it does far more than games.

I don't think anybody is saying a PC can be replaced (if they are, they're some f*cked up kind of moron) but gaming on consoles is easier and more fun. You don't have the problems of CD Keys, NO-CD/DVD's Working, Game Patches, or LAN Troubles. All you need is a few systems and some games and you're good to go. Not to mention gaming w/ a controller is sometimes more sensational than with a keyboard, but I do believe the First Person Shooter realm should remain on the PC.