AMD Radeon HD 7870 And 7850 Review: Pitcairn Gets Benchmarked

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keep in mind that unless Nvidia gets moving, AMD could have fixed drivers. The 7870s tested used beta/alpha drivers, not finalized versions, so it's natural that it is a little all over right now. What you see with the 7870 right here probably isn't quite where it will end up being. Besides, it's the 7850 that's having most of the problems.

The 6870 competes with the GTX 560 (560 fails to compete as far as I'm concerned). The 7870 is almost as good as the GTX 580. The GTX 660 is reported to equal a 580. If the 7870 gets driver fixes, it will probably be much more consistently in line with the 580 and might beat it. It looks like it will compete with Kepler well enough in performance, now we need to wait and see how the 7870 does with better drivers against the GTX 660, or anything that takes it's place should Nvidia change stuff around.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]That's also a good point. 7900 should have more ROPs than it does. It's as if AMD didn't think the GCN cards through very well. A decent idea until it is actually thought about, then you see the gaping holes and many flaws that are simply because of AMD making some seemingly ignorant designs. GCN is a huge architectural improvement for GPGPU and such over VLIW4, but the way AMD made these cards just seems very ignorant of performance scaling. Granted, the same is true for 6900, but to a much lesser extent because 6800 isn't the same arch as 6900, so they are properly differentiated, and the shader/clock rates make sense there. They just don't for GCN 7000. AMD shouldn't be so fixated on 1GHz cards and should really redo their models here. If AMD wants 1GHz for the 7870, then it shouldn't even have 1280 shaders unless AMD decided to include another bottleneck or two to keep it from catching the 7950, or they fix the 7950.[/citation]it is not like OCing the 7950 to 1GHz is gonna get a nice 30%-405 increase over 7870. From the way I see it, the only explaination is ALL the 7900 series are being ROP bottleneck. IMO they should have 48 RoPs instead of 32. adding another 16 Rops should increase the die size soo much as most of the die area are shaders. With 7900 being a bigger chip that means it could mean some of the chips arent even reach the req to be 7950. And with 7870 so close to 7950, it is less likely they will release a 7890 Tahithi LE since that would easily get beated by 7870 or any factory OCed 7870.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]It is a better card just accept it. If the choice between the two of them was a current upgrade choice you would be fooling to buy The NV card[/citation]

Depends how you look at it. These cards perform on par/ little under the 580GTXs, and that's great and all if the prices are actually in the mid 300 range. But a year and a half in the tech world is an eternity. Your comparing cards not even out yet with cards that have been out for almost 18 months!

Then factor in 3D vision 2, cuda, and other superior features, and to me, NV is still the clear winner. The real show, however, will be matching up AMD/ATI's 7000 series (just coming out), with the 600 series that's on the way.

When those benches come out, it'll be a fair comparison, Generation to Generation.

At the moment, your trying to compare old tech to new tech. You mean AMD came out with something a year and a half later that's the same speed and a little cheaper!? OMFG!? Seriously, that's not a win, that's called "expected".

justme1977

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]Depends how you look at it. .......[/citation]

You can also look it at an other way.
On launch the HD 5770 was slower then the 4870 and slower the the gtx260.
The 6870 was slower then the 5870 (stupid naming scheme) and slower then the gtx470.
Now we have the 7870 which is faster then a 6970 and faster then a gtx570, coming even close to the gtx580 on average.
It has bin a long time since a mainstream card from amd brought us this much performance. The last card i remember that did that was the radeon 9500 pro.

Almost everything is to like about these cards except one thing, its price. The new cards are way to expensive for my liking, the 7870 should be around 200 euro or 260 dollars, the 7850 should be around 150 euro or 200 dollars.
Rumoured prices here in Holland are 350 euro for the 7870 that's about 460 dollar.

Now for amd or nvidia, I want a card that has hd 6950 to gtx 570 class performance in a power envelop of max 150 watt for a price of 200 euro's. The company that gets there first will get my money :)

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]it is not like OCing the 7950 to 1GHz is gonna get a nice 30%-405 increase over 7870. From the way I see it, the only explaination is ALL the 7900 series are being ROP bottleneck. IMO they should have 48 RoPs instead of 32. adding another 16 Rops should increase the die size soo much as most of the die area are shaders. With 7900 being a bigger chip that means it could mean some of the chips arent even reach the req to be 7950. And with 7870 so close to 7950, it is less likely they will release a 7890 Tahithi LE since that would easily get beated by 7870 or any factory OCed 7870.[/citation]7950 OC to 1ghz = 7970 performance. which is about 40% more than the 7870. Its not a ROP bottleneck, there are plenty of them on the 7970. Its just premature drivers.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]randomkid[/nom]I have been asking for a tri-monitor benchmarks in video card reviews but non is coming... too bad.[/citation]

Tri-monitor benches are a lot of work to set up for video card launches with compressed timetables, but we're planning a comprehensive Eyefinity/NV Surround performance comparison in the near future.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]it is not like OCing the 7950 to 1GHz is gonna get a nice 30%-405 increase over 7870. From the way I see it, the only explaination is ALL the 7900 series are being ROP bottleneck. IMO they should have 48 RoPs instead of 32. adding another 16 Rops should increase the die size soo much as most of the die area are shaders. With 7900 being a bigger chip that means it could mean some of the chips arent even reach the req to be 7950. And with 7870 so close to 7950, it is less likely they will release a 7890 Tahithi LE since that would easily get beated by 7870 or any factory OCed 7870.[/citation]

Overclocking the 7950 to 1GHz would make it roughly equal the 7970, around 25% faster than the 7870's best, that is when it matches the GTX 580. 7900 is a smaller chip than 6900 which was already fairly small, at least compared to Nvidia. AMD stated they would release a 7890 so I mentioned it. FYI, 6900 (Cayman) is >370mm2 (I think it's like ~374mm2, but I'll have to look that up), 7900 (Tahiti) is ~365mm2. Theoretically, it should mean that MORE Tahiti GPUs pass binning as a 7950 or 7970 than the Cayman's 6970 and 6950. However, the sizes are very close so the differences in successfully binning chips per wafer probably aren't big.

Also, since the 7870 is just all over in performance and sometimes fighting with the 6950, yes, the 7950 can be 30-40% faster than it since it isn't so variable. Only in the best case scenarios does the stock 7870 catch up to the stock 7950.

Best case scenario for the 7870, it can overclock to slightly higher clock rates than the 7950. Even then, the 7970 would be at least 20% faster. Is that enough to justify it's price, unless the difference is actually greater than 20%? Not really, but it's close. However, the higher end you go, the less value, so it's still good. Overclocked GCN cards have great value so I have to wonder how Kepler will do too.

silicondoc_85

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

I note that the raging amd biased base is so rabid that anyone expressing any happiness about any nvidia card is immediately down voted into not visible.
That or their comments are literally removed.
This the level of what we're dealing with as far as immense bias goes, it could not be any worse.
I see the owners of this site and their articles reflect the rabid amd fanbase, that are by any rule or measure, absolutely rabid.
Good luck, no logic, no price, no performance will change that.
We have a few more weeks of listening to the shrieking of the amd fans before Kepler, then we can look forward to a year or two of hate filled attacks and spam like mindless down voting.
Censorship is the answer for amd fans.

silicondoc_85

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Right now on newegg a triple fan GTX580 is $435, and the cheapest 7950 is $460.
--
The lying theme that amd is cheaper always trumps any actual reality.
It really is an embarrassing shame.

[citation][nom]silicondoc_85[/nom]Right now on newegg a triple fan GTX580 is $435, and the cheapest 7950 is $460.--The lying theme that amd is cheaper always trumps any actual reality.It really is an embarrassing shame.[/citation]

7950 is better than a GTX 580 and we already acknowledged that the GCN Radeons don't have price/performance as good as Radeon 5000/6000 which DOES beat Nvidia at every price point with only the GTX 560 TI closing in on it's competitor, the Radeon 6950. Besides, if you count overclocking performance, then GCN Radeons have among the highest value of ANY cards out there today. Besides that, the 7870 is going to be the more direct competitor for most people to the GTX 580/660 performance tier if it gets it's variable performance made more consistent and the 7950 will be an overclocking premium card like the 7970.

Go back and compare the 6000s and equivalent GTX 500 cards and see the value. The GTX 550 TI is far more expensive than the competing Radeon 6770/6750 cards. The GTX 560 is more expensive than the competing Radeon 6870 and it uses FAR more power. The GTX 560 TI is actually not a bad buy like the rest of the cards, but the 6950 wins out for better CF scaling. The GTX 570 has too little memory and is too expensive. The 580 is too expensive, but it doesn't have a single GPU competitor from the similarly aged Radeons. However, it is easily beaten by a CF 6950 2GB setup for about the same price as it. It is even beaten by the much cheaper crossfire 6870 2GB setup, but that one can have severe micro-stuttering issues so I don't count it as much. In fact, even dual 6850s beat the GTX 580.

Crossfire scaling is so good on the 6900 cards that two 6950s trade blows with two GTX 570s. The embarrassing shame is that you came to an incorrect conclusion because you didn't think about it before posting.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Actually, he hit the nail on the head, and you amd fanboys just don't get it.

AMD / ATI a LONG time ago had great price/performance, and nvidia was always the expensive powerhouse.

But for past few years Nvidia has always offered GPUs at around the same price/performance as ATI.

Sure, you can point to a few cards from ATI that have +5% performance gain for maybe 10 or 20 bucks cheaper then the Nvidia alternative, but as he pointed out, there are many cards offered by Nvidia that outperform same priced / slightly more expensive ATI cards.

Point is that prices are never so drastically different that it actually matters.

The things that matter most now a days are features, driver quality, build quality, etc. That choice comes down to each buyer. Some people want 3D vision 2, not ATI's junk 3D tech. Some people want +5% performance in crossfire to stroke their epeen on a non-visually noticeable difference.

Hell, if you even bothered to pay attention to most of the benches done by this website, much of the "Price/Performance" really depends on the games you choose to play (Some favor Nvidia, some favor ATI).

But honestly, who cares, 7000 gains over the year and a half old 500 series were a huge let-down. I expected much more out of ATI. I have a feeling Kepler is going to shame ATI this time around due to such small advancement in performance over 6000s. So lets wait and see what benches look when not comparing 18 month old tech VS stuff that is just a few days old lol.

The 7950 can be overclocked to roughly equal a 6990 and the 7970 can be overclocked slightly beyond the 6990. With the overclocks, it's a roughly 100% improvement in performance with only a ~65% increase in cost and insignificant increase in power usage at load (actually, a decrease in idle power usage).

How will Kepler do? I don't know. Nvidia seems to be having some problems because as I've stated and several others, only Nvidia is having troubles on TSMC's 28nm node. That leads me to believe that it might not be the GPU process, but something else is a problem(s), but Nvidia isn't doing much talking and that really doesn't get my hopes up. In fact, I previously also thought that Kepler may be better than GCN because it is more than a die shrink and new architecture, it is also abandoning hot-clocking which should improve performance per watt. See, no, I'm not an AMD fanboy. I didn't change the opinion in favor of AMD yet because it is apparent that AMD is also having other problems, but they seem to stem from AMD's engineers not understanding video card performance scaling very well. That is something that Nvidia has yet to screw up, although that may have been more inadvertently then intentionally because increasing the core count when it is still a low number compared to AMD's will give more linear improvements than higher core counts getting even more cores (the % increase from 256 to 512 is slightly greater than 1024 to 2048). Seeing as how this is AMD's favorite way to differentiate cards despite it NOT helping as much as clock rates (as shown in the differences between a 7870 and a 7950, among many other examples).

AMD cards are still generally a better buy for gamers that don't need CUDA. I already compared all of Nvidia's GTX 500 line with the Radeons and stated the problems so it's up to you to actually think about it yourself and pay attention. The only reason that some games favor Nvidia is because Nvidia pays the developers to optimize for the Nvidia cards instead of both Nvidia and AMD to show artificial weakness in AMD cards. If AMD could afford to do this as much then they probably would engage in it too, but AMD really can't afford to do it so only Nvidia is.

I've already addressed Kepler and recognized it as GCN Radeon's primary competitor, but it's nowhere to be found right now so there is nothing else but the GTX 500s to compare the GCN Radeons to.

If there is no noticeable difference between CF's superior scaling and SLI, then it wouldn't be helpful. What card is faster, the GTX 570 or the 6950 2GB for 1080p? The GTX 570 obviously is and it costs ~$100 more. You can get two of them in SLI. You can get two Radeon 6950s in CF instead and save ~$200 to get the same performance and still be able to get another 6950 later on. Clearly there is a better winner here and it's not the 570 SLI setup that would use far more power, be far more expensive, have far less memory, all for similar performance. Like I said, there is a clear winner here.

I already went into fair detail about the GTX 500 cards and their better Radeon alternatives. Sure, some games were optimized to not work as well on a Radeon as they do on a Nvidia card. Those games may be better off with the Nvidia card (preferably the 560 TI, the other Nvidia cards all have serious problems to consider), but that is only because Nvidia decided against playing fair with AMD.

Ignore current Radeon 7800 benchmarks because they were done with drivers even worse than those used on 7900 and will probably have better versions when they launch. However, AMD has some seriously odd stuff going on with GCN Radeons right now so it's very hard to say how this will all turn out. For example, we have the 7850 not even stable and the 7870 sometimes it's just beating the 6950, but some other times it's performance is indistinguishable from the 7950.

Then we have the GHz edition 7770 that has a TDP just ever so slightly over 75w so it can't be used without the PCIe connector. Honestly AMD, why not just lower it's voltage and/or clock rates a little so it doesn't need the 6 pin connector? AMD has shown that even their stock voltages are capable of FAR more performance than they are being used for, there is no excuse for AMD either not increasing clock rates further or decreasing voltage and thus power usage further. The GCN cards have some confusing quirks that AMD should address immediately and it's not just their lack of proper CF support that is worrisome.

Also, no, he did not hit the nail on the head, but he did miss it and hit his finger instead. I didn't just point to a few AMD cards that are better than a few GTX 500s, I pointed to Radeons that were better than ALL of the GTX 50 lineup. It's not just raw performance you must consider and AMD is not just 5% faster in some cases. The 550 TI is an extreme case, it is FAR more expensive than similarly performing Radeons. The prices do matter, but I'll admit they aren't the only thing. I'd say that it's the Radeons that should be more expensive with the way things are right now, not the Nvidia cards. However, then I'd be pissed at AMD for not being cheaper than slightly/moderately (depending on the cards being compared) worse Nvidia cards anymore. At least in the past, the Nvidia cards didn't always have such other disadvantages when they were more expensive, now they have more problems than just their price for their performance.

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
hey i was thinking of 6950 or 70 maybe i have 6850 and want the mst power so get those or the 7850 when its out also final price in u.s i hope not to expensive

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Look at the specs between the 7870 and the 6950, I'll take the 6950 over the other one any day. What a rip off as I still remember just about 6, 7 weeks ago, the 2GB Sapphire 6950 on Newegg was on sale for $250. Till this day, I still bang my head wondering why I didn't get that card. Been an AMD user for more than 10 years. Guess it's time to switch. Go Kepler!

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]Nvidia’s GeForce cards generally outperform competing AMD boards, but the finishing order is tight.[/citation]

You mean only w.r.t the cards you're benchmarking. As the the GTX580 gets decimated in every situation by the 7950 and sometimes the 7870. This is impressive as the 7870 is $40 cheaper than the cheapest GTX 580

7870 & 7850 seem to be available earlier than what AMD Promised:

7870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

7850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125419

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]To be fair, Nvidia’s TrSSAA looks a little better than AMD’s Adaptive AA in this game. Notice also that the Radeon HD 7800s are faster when Adaptive AA is turned on compared to MSAA with FXAA in the charts up top. Strange though that may be, we confirmed it through multiple iterations of our benchmark. We also took screen shots that prove the 7800’s Adaptive AA yields the same output quality as the 6900s, despite the performance difference.[/citation]

That's what I think AMD will do. They'll improve AAA on the 7000 series on a driver level and leave the 6900s in the dust. I think this could inspire a mod much like the physics mod for Nvidia's card. All we need is another hero like GenL to show these companies that they can't control the way we use our cards no matter how skillful they are in driver programming.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Your sample is crashing because of a platform compatibility issue. Oh, come on, AMD.

I never thought something like that could happen. How did this card make through production with an issue like that?

I suppose we learn a new thing every day. But, that's not going to be my feeling if I buy the 7850 and end up with an unstable card. I hope AMD irons out these issues soon before the retail boards ship

Status
Not open for further replies.