AMD Radeon HD 7970 Design Details Leak Out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
If it can do Metro 2033 max settings 2560x1600 @60fps I'll pay $700 for it. But I highly dought it. Prove me wrong AMD and take my money. I LOVE TESSELLATION!

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Swolern[/nom]If it can do Metro 2033 max settings 2560x1600 @60fps I'll pay $700 for it. But I highly dought it. Prove me wrong AMD and take my money. I LOVE TESSELLATION![/citation]
according to the slides they have much better tesselation, many rumors say that the 7970 is nearly equal to the 6990 so probably the 7990 will be about 1.75-1.9x more powerful than the 6990

just remember to turn on the factory overclock

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]"quality processors" not really, the processor division is really lacking in quality, but they make up for it in price for the most part... right now, the AMD processor divisions best goal is simply keeping intels prices to a semi decent level.[/citation]

Really? Have you had a lot of AMD processors fail on you recently? I think you are getting quality and speed mixed up. As for speed, they are still within the same realm. For most users that is "fast enough". Learn to see the spread of processors from both companies as a scale. For some people, it makes sense to go with an AMD chip - simply based on motherboard prices alone.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
NVIDIA Skipping GeForce 600 Series - GTX 780 Performance, performance increase by 120% over gtx 580, just need when its going to be out.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
The third slide down, at the bottom says "Maximum Displays" it's then followed by 6. Am I missing something here, the card only has 5 outputs. Does this hint that perhaps this generation will support Eyefinity outputs from multiple cards?

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]punnar[/nom]All the hype. Let's hope that it won't be a disappointment.[/citation]
Though AMD, most of the time fails in CPU's, they never fail in GPU's (of course also in their new APU's)

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]a4mula[/nom]The third slide down, at the bottom says "Maximum Displays" it's then followed by 6. Am I missing something here, the card only has 5 outputs. Does this hint that perhaps this generation will support Eyefinity outputs from multiple cards?[/citation]

I saw 4 outputs, two of which are mini display ports, which can send video to two displays each.
2 + 2*2 = 6 displays.

hannibal

Distinguished
Best part seems to be idle power usage! 3 wat is guite low number for highend GPU... Otherwise guite nice upgrade considering that production node and gpu architecture both change at the same time.

cool! the card designs are pretty impressive for reference design. dual bios, all ports at the bottom, (rumored) new cooling system. like it. hopefully it won't suck.
'never settle' made me chuckle. that's what zambezi buyers had to do. hopefully the same thing won't happen with the gfx card considering how good the 6xxx (6850 <3) is.
edit: rest of the msg got cut before.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]Though AMD, most of the time fails in CPU's, they never fail in GPU's (of course also in their new APU's)[/citation]

You mean ATI never fail in GPu remmember amd never maked gpu, so lets see if they are going to continue the tradition or make it fail like in cpu.

While blowers make a little noise they offer much better cooling per dollar before going passive, or with a near silent aftermarket cooler. Besides, blowers have come a long way at getting quieter. the one on my 570 is much much quieter than the one that was on my 9800. Not silent, but very acceptable, and it does not get any louder except under the heaviest of loads.

Anywho, the new AMD cards look sweet! Glad they are finally allowing for a full vent on back, I always thought that was odd before. Duel BIOS sounds like it is more to say they have it than being useful. 6 monitor out sounds neat until you realize that the crack goes down the middle like a duel monitor setup. 3, 5, 7, and 9 are the only real setups that matter until windows begins allowing for more than 9 monitors. Glad they stuck with normal RAM, as rambus always seems to stab their customers in the back before things are all said and done. Performance stats look good, but I'm not going to get hot and bothered about performance until I see real world tests. Also cant wait for the 600 series from nVidia as those should be pretty awesome as well.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
If those benchmarks are even close to accurate...WOW!! That's some serious improvement in the chip architecture. I think this was what willis was talkin bout :D

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Why is it that they bother with ANY plugs beyond Mini Display Port? These ports are obviously the smallest (or at least a better shape than HDMI) and my Sapphire 5870 2GB Eyefinity from 2 generations ago, has 6 monitor ports, and all 6 are located in a single file Row, occupying a single slot. There is really no reason i can think of to not make this a standard as adapters can convert to DVI, HDMI, VGA and they cost these manufacturers next to nothing to produce. I personally think the monitor industry will be migrating to this technology as the standard, I'm the furthest thing from an apple fan as i hate how the company is arrogant and their business practices but they do have it right and have proved that this is a powerful, multi-functional standard (Thunderbolt, etc) I'm running 3x24" monitors in eyefinity @ 5760x1080, None have DisplayPort Adapters but Sapphire included many passive adapters to suit most users needs (2xDVI, 2xHDMI, 2xVGA) So if you want to use more than 2 displays, you will need all monitors beyond the first 2 to be Display Port or have an Active DisplayPort adapter otherwise your computer will not recognize these monitors. I found adapters by Sapphire that work amazingly and very inexpensive relatively. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

hannibal

Distinguished

I am not 100% sure, but I think that you can blug 3 monitors to each DB port via adapter... Have to check out.

dharmenparikh

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I think Anandtech had an article saying AMD drivers will support Eyeinfinity in crossfire and 3D in crossfire too. They are really focusing on it because the new high end cards can have 3gb Vram so they better find a way to use it all.

G

SO many people fail at math. Looking at the slides, they are about 50% faster than the previous gen. This does not mean 150% FASTER, it means 50% faster or 150% of current speeds. The article needs corrected and a lot of people posting need to learn math

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The 28nm die shrink seems to allow for a 70% increase in transistors in the same die space. Which is a sort of "duh" to those who are better at math than I am, I'm sure.

Stating more obvious stuff... since clockspeed wasn't lowered, AMD's fed the card with proper memory bandwidth, and there generally doesn't seem to be anything strange going on with this new GPU in general.... I think it's somewhat safe to say that it'll show a 70% performance increase vs the 6970.

Status
Not open for further replies.