[SOLVED] AMD Radeon R9 280 dual x

brencicmiodrag82

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
I bought used r9 280 last year for a cheap prize. That time I had only 400w PSU so when I tried to play games they would automatically freeze or crash (after freezing 5min or so).
Many of you guys told me to buy new PSU and it will fix issue. I finally bought new 650w PSU, installed new drivers adreno 2020, but issue is still present. Every game I tried to play
PES 2020, Rocket League, Naruto SUNS4, even old games such as TMNT 2003 they started so well without any lags or something and why it gets to certain point when I should start playing every game freeze, says stop working (task manager), or I even get notification from drivers (Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure) {I tried to downscale performace}. Rocket League freeze and then after 15sec it unfreeze for about 2sec and do the same thing over and over. I tried to press button on graphic card but when I do that PC wont turn on (just restart booting up) and monitor doesnt give any signal. Also downscalling preformance isnt possible pc restore them to default as soon I click save changes. I undrestand that this graphic card is problem by it self but can I fix this issue? I have old graphic card that works fine but it is so low (1gb vram). I dont have money for new one but I have time to try to fix it, if it is even possible. Sorry for bad English.

Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure-that happens when the GPU overclock is bad.
Im pretty sure that the seller made sure the mess up your gpu the best he possibly could.Buying a PSU should have fixed the problems,but since it didnt,i think the GPU is just faulty.I have a r9 380 4gb and previously had 10$ 500W psu which couldnt handle the card.Later on i bought a 700W 80% unit for 70% and it showed signal right away.I dont think that this GPU can be saved.

brencicmiodrag82

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure-that happens when the GPU overclock is bad.
Im pretty sure that the seller made sure the mess up your gpu the best he possibly could.Buying a PSU should have fixed the problems,but since it didnt,i think the GPU is just faulty.I have a r9 380 4gb and previously had 10$ 500W psu which couldnt handle the card.Later on i bought a 700W 80% unit for 70% and it showed signal right away.I dont think that this GPU can be saved.
Does that mean I can only throw this GPU or?

brencicmiodrag82

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
I forgot to mention one more notification I got Application Rocket League has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.

brencicmiodrag82

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
Also yeah one stupid thing people forget.Check if the drivers are updated.
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Bro you HAVEEEE to update the drivers as soon as they release.My r9 380 4gb gets crazy when the drivers are not updated.I was playing CSGO and bassically loading the Mirage map it frooze and boom black screen.I shut the pc down and checked if the drivers were updated,and of course not.I updated them and played normally aftewards.Btw this was 2 days after i bought the new psu and i was so scared since i didnt know what the issue was,because it was working fine,but it was just the drivers.So the problem fixed or nah?

brencicmiodrag82

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
Bro you HAVEEEE to update the drivers as soon as they release.My r9 380 4gb gets crazy when the drivers are not updated.I was playing CSGO and bassically loading the Mirage map it frooze and boom black screen.I shut the pc down and checked if the drivers were updated,and of course not.I updated them and played normally aftewards.Btw this was 2 days after i bought the new psu and i was so scared since i didnt know what the issue was,because it was working fine,but it was just the drivers.So the problem fixed or nah?
Old GPU AMD radeon HD graphics 6770 1gb vram doesnt even have updates it stuck in amd catalyst 15. something or so. I never have problem with that card except now when win 10 rush with updates and it messed up with sleep options (pc wont go in sleep mode) unless I reinstall drivers again and it will work few days and same issue. I want to say that those drivers are unchangable, but windows is. Also I used completely different drivers last year than now and still doesnt work. I dont think this is because of drivers :/

i also think its not because of drivers,but i dont know anything else to fix it,except of course it trash it.On the brighter side you can recycle it+try to sell/recycle your old AMD HD gpu and save up some money for atleast rx 580 8gb.Whats the rest of your system looking like?

brencicmiodrag82

Reputable
Aug 31, 2018
Well at least it wasn't expensive, you do want to be looking at something of better quality though.
nah thanks, I returned to my old gpu, It is fine for old games csgo 60fps all settings low even resolution on 1024x768 and that is fine but I want to play assassins creed at least unity. I tried it on lowest possible settings but still 15-25fps max. With r9 it would run better but gpu doesnt work at all and Im done with it. If someone want it message me

nah thanks, I returned to my old gpu, It is fine for old games csgo 60fps all settings low even resolution on 1024x768 and that is fine but I want to play assassins creed at least unity. I tried it on lowest possible settings but still 15-25fps max. With r9 it would run better but gpu doesnt work at all and Im done with it. If someone want it message me

The GPU was probably fine, the psu is the problem.

The 280 is a 200w card, it requires 2 x 6 pin power connectors. How were you powering when your psu only has one of these??