AMD Radeon R9 290 and R9 290X Specs Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
The specs are awesome....the price, not so much =/. Really looking forward to the new cards though, too bad haven't heard much on the dual gpu version yet.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
*cross fingers* for no shitty un-optimized drivers. I'll wait for the GK110 2880 cuda core GPU to release, ya that's right a fully unlocked GK110 and with AMD having something on the table we won't have to get raped by Nvidia anymore.

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Amazing. I'm especially interested in those flops. Right now, my setup barley pushes a teraflops. As soon as I can ditch that CUDA only render of mine, the sooner I can go from three hours to forty minutes per frame.

So does AMD have it's true next generation waiting in the wings for 2014? It seems like these are just matching the two year old Kepler's with updated Tahiti architecture. With Maxwell on the way in early 2014, it seems like AMD will be back in a distant second place for quite some time after that.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
So about the same time PS4/Xbox 1 are released PC will get GPUs that are more than 2x faster than the console counterparts.

Talk about obsolete on arrival...

The drivers will most likely be just fine. The shift from the 7000 series to the R9 series is really just a fine tuning of the GCN architecture, similar to the shift from the HD 5000 series to the HD 6000 series.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Looks good on paper, just hope the drivers have matured to the same ballpark as Nvidia if they want to take out those prices that have been suggested. Got both CF (2x 7970's) and an Sli (2x 780) rig and guess what? Its a reason Nvidia can take a small premium (most of the time) for their cards.

Amd hardware is on the same level - The drivers however are not, always more sluggish updates when new software arrives, less stable, jerkier experience - Yes, the micro stuttering have improved significantly but is still present in some titles and Amd have taken it seriously and finally started to improve in that regard, just wish stability and faster title updates would follow...

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

Ah Matto still cannot give AMD credit, we will be back here if indeed the 290x beats the 1k Titan. Lets wait until official benchies arrive. Remember it took Nvidia a whole year to come out with their Kepler line up to face the HD 7000 series.

Seems that The 290 and 290X will give the GK110 a fight while being 100m2 smaller. I am interested in the Mantle API, something that will further the performance gap.

Your expecting Maxwell to you the great saviour however most reports have pretty much confirmed that it will arrive Q4 2014.

schriss

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
1. Are these cards 250W and if so it's like the old nVidia Fermi, right? Not so power efficient.
2. I wonder what will the driver support be like? Same as always or improved?
3. Need to see benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.