AMD Radeon R9 Nano Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The car analogy doesn't quite work. I worked in car sales for a while and after researching cars, those "better built" expensive cars have just as many recalls/problems if not more for some than lower cost cars. Unless it is a hand built car they normally will have the same issues possible. Mainly because most cars are built on an assembly line and all have a lot of electronics, which are the biggest cause of issues these days.

That said, the APUs are fine for low budget people. I wouldn't say they are crap, but they are hard to sell to anyone but the very low budget people.

The only thing I have against them is that AMD has been lacking on the upgrades around the CPU while Intel is boring full steam ahead with the other hardware upgrades. That stuff has a big effect on my buying decision and a lot of other peoples. Will I buy a system that has all the goodies available or one that doesn't have them? This can also extend the life of your system. PCIe 3.0, M.2 etc will allow you to continue to upgrade around the board and CPU.

Maybe AMD will catch up with Zen, maybe not. As for the Nano, it is a overpriced niche market product. I would not even build a mITX with it when I could built a mITX with a full sized GPU. But that is just me.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I'm totally with you there. In fact, most mITX cases that support a full height expansion card and a full ATX size PSU also have at least one 120mm fan mount. So, you would be better off with the Fury X which is the same exact price and has only a slightly longer PCB which is still much shorter than most low to mid range cards out and about the same size as some so-called mITX cards. The Nano would have been absolutely mind blowing if they were able to fit it on a small form factor half-height PCB instead of a half-length one and keep it air cooled. I'm sure there are plenty of potential customers out there who own SFX Dell and HP OEM crap boxes who would love to be able to turn their flat little Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge i5 horizontal desktop or HTPC box into a full on pedal-to-the metal UHD gaming rig with two simple upgrades (you'll need one of the few available high wattage SFX PSUs to run it). Currently, there are very few SFX PCIe cards available and all of them are lower-end like the 750ti or R7 240/250. That instead of the actual Nano would have been truly game-changing.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
For your interest: I've modified a R9 nano with a new fan and cover - I was deeply impressed:

Fan-Mod-02_w_755.jpg

Bench-Table_w_755.jpg

Silent-Mode_w_755.jpg

This is a short part from my upcoming article in Germany. I also oc'ed this better cooled card near to Fury X level (it takes then 280 Watts!). It makes no sense to increase the power target, but to decrease the noise level with the help of a better fan!

Don't start on the all CPUs are APUs deal again that is ridicules. APU is a marketing name by AMD it may even be trademark for all we know. Intel has never ever called their CPUs, APUs, and due to the amount of positive feed back on them I doubt they ever will.

The top of the line APU right now I think is the AMD A10-Series APU A10-7870K 3.9Ghz Quad core CPU with Radeon R7 Graphics priced around $129.99. THis is good for entry level gaming to low Mid level. If that is all you need I agree it's fine. If you plan to use a mid ranged GPU and want to be able to upgrade it's not a good choice.

So I take it if you can modify the Nano you are getting to keep it?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
It works really, but I removed the mod last week because I need the original card for my reviews and not a "custom" card. The best way to get a perfect cover is to print it in 3D :)

I sell more mATX towers more then anything else, then Midtowers, then Full size ATX, then once in a very great while mini-ITX. Wish more bought mini-ITX those parts are the most expensive in most cases.

I just can't understand AMD going with the HDMI 1.4 connector instead of the 2.0. on the Fury Nano and the Fury X. Most people use their TVs for their 4K display and just about all of those use HDMI inputs not display ports.

Kevin Davidson

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

Kevin Davidson

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
I agree I find that in most discussion's lead to AMD bashing like everyone is a rock star and can afford an I7 or an I5 for there daily driver my fx 8350 gets the job done just fine and has done the job three yrs now what about that in real world application and all for 185.00 no if that desn't make good common sense I don't what does! Well said Math Geek!

Status
Not open for further replies.