AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

We break down all of our data capture and analysis here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/presentmon-performance-directx-opengl-vulkan,4740.html

Page 3 has some explanation of smoothness and how we reach these metrics. Since publishing that piece, we've switched to presenting the information in the bar graph that you see (rather than the line graphs on page 3 of our PresentMon overview). For unevenness, then, we are looking at the frame to frame differences -- so the percentage of the frame to frame differences within each threshold up to 10 ms.

The RX 570 far outclasses the GTX 1050Ti in terms of performance, and is over 50% faster on average. They're not even in the same performance class. And even so, the prices of the RX 570 aren't that much higher. This particular model of the card might have an "MSRP" of $200, but that's not how most RX 570s are priced. At a popular US online retailer (Newegg), I see ten models of RX 570 all priced between $170-$190 including shipping, with only a couple Sapphire models priced higher than that. The 1050Tis meanwhile are all priced between $130-$170. So, even looking at the lowest priced models, that's only about a 30% increase in price for over 50% more performance in most games.

While we're at it, the 3GB GTX 1060s, which show serious performance issues in some newer games at max settings, mostly cost more than an RX 570, while the 6GB models range in price from around $240-$300 (though there are rebates that might potentially bring some of them down a bit lower) but they're only 10-15% faster than an RX 570 on average. Really, the RX 570 seems priced pretty competitively relative to Nvidia's offerings.

Of course, there's also the RX 580, and 4GB RX 580s (with lower-clocked memory) start at around $200, and the 8GB models start at around $220, for performance that should be a bit better than a 6GB GTX 1060. If you're looking for a competitor to the 1050Ti, it will likely be the RX 560, which will probably provide comparable performance to a 1050Ti at a lower cost.

Prices I'm looking at have the 1060 6GB starting at $230 USD and three 570s at $200 USD or less, with the cheapest being around $190 USD (no MiR)

UPDATE: Including MiR, 7 RX-570 4GB cards are below $195 USD and the cheapest around $175. USD

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
"AMD's data suggests that 500 million PC gamers still use graphics cards more than two years old, 80% of which are Radeon R9 380X-class or slower."

Sheepishly raises hand.

My daughter gave me a new game this Christmas (Fallout 4) and I was disappointed how blocky the graphics were. Realized my HD class graphics card is actually kind of old. Have been watching graphics card articles since January. May spring for an RX580 now. AMD marketing has me nailed.

so your saying 80% of all more than 2 year old computer graphic cards are Radeon R series, I never had R series, cause they were just rebrands of the ATI HD series they grabbed onto when they bought them out, most where slower than the HD series, and caused me to go to NVidia because they where more busy with the branding of their software for a year than fix issues with the video drivers themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I am itching to get an Ryzen with AMD video card into a gaming system, but yet to be impressed by a) benchmarks b) reviews

but I am still looking at it all...

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"My daughter gave me a new game this Christmas (Fallout 4) and I was disappointed how blocky the graphics were. Realized my HD class graphics card is actually kind of old. Have been watching graphics card articles since January. May spring for an RX580 now. AMD marketing has me nailed."

If one of your priorities is getting FO4 to run great at high settings, better go Nvidia---the game is saturated with Gameworks tessellation. You *can* turn off the god rays, but even then IME, Fallout 4 still runs smoother on Nvidia than my AMD cards.

TBH though, even at max settings, the game isnt one of those that will make you say "WOW!" or anything.

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
First of all, rebranding is not done by AMD only. NVidia, Intel did the same thing. Now, AMD came with a budget + performance GPU to the average consumers who can't afford the 1080 and 1070. So now, if you are looking to build a budget PC then to complain about the GPU benchamrks then you should reconsider the budget thing.

Now, this is not VEGA and just a rebrand of the RX 400 with a slight boost. But lets not to forget not all love to OC their hardware and having the GPU base clocks high then the RX 400 is a good thing not a bad thing. Now for the PC/Gaming enthusiast you should look for VEGA and not the RX but assuming VEGA will not be as cheap as RX, do you think people will not complain! People always want AMD to beat NVidia but at the same time want them to be away cheaper, which does not work in real life!

The thing I like about this series the aftermarket coolers away better and look sexier than the RX 400s lol

Going by the Fallout 4 benchmark at TechPowerUp, the RX 580 performed slightly behind the GTX 1060 6GB at 1080p, but slightly ahead at 2160p and higher. And even at 1080p, we're talking an average frame-rate close to 80fps, so any slight differences between the cards would probably be unnoticeable.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"And even at 1080p, we're talking an average frame-rate close to 80fps, so any slight differences between the cards would probably be unnoticeable"

Wouldnt be shocked if thats with God Rays on a setting less than Ultra. And I can say from personal experience that while the Radeon series may look good on a average fps chart for FO4, the smoothness is definitely not comparable. They didnt give a minimum framerate nor do a frametime comparison.

Fallout 4 simply runs better on Nvidia, which is certainly not surprising since its loaded with Nvidia tech. Its gotten better with later patches, and AMD's latest cards handle heavy tessellation better than they used to, but Gameworks (and of course by extension no DX12) gives Nvidia in general an unfair advantage.

Also not sure if he cares, but you dont even have the option to turn on weapons particle effects (kinda useless IMHO), being that Bethesda used Flex or Physx (another closed Nvidia library) for that.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
No, you misread that. "80% of which are Radeon R9 380X-class or slower" That class of graphics card or slower, not that specific model.

AMD's figures might actually be true. I mean, I was rocking an Intel E6570 and an AMD6670 until fairly recently. I jumped to an i7-6700 (non-K) on Black Friday last year and I got an RX470 in March.

The charts you lined to is average FPS... it doesn't tell us minimum FPS... with FO4, I have a larger interest in minimum FPS as certain areas on the map experience serious performance hits (even if they don't necessarily drop to unplayable levels. I guarantee those with R9-380X class or weaker GPUs feel the hit even harder as FPS can drop even below 24 FPS in areas.)

Yep, I was going to include the line "within the context of this benchmark", since I know Fallout 4 has areas that can cause performance to plummet, but deemed it unnecessary, since my point was more that all of these cards offer fairly similar levels of performance. The RX 580 and GTX 1060 6GB should both perform within a few FPS of one another. And as far as minimums go, HardwareCanucks found their RX 580s to get both higher average and minimum frame-rates at 1440p in Fallout 4, and even their reference RX 480 managed higher minimums at that resolution, again, within the context of their benchmark run. At 1080p, the cards offered similar averages, but the minimums were reversed, with the GTX 1060 ahead, but I wouldn't say that one brand of GPUs handles the game significantly better than the other, at least as far as recent cards go.

Retrogame

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Good review article. I'm making a habit of reading all of these as they go by to keep tabs. I own a RX 470 that I've hardly used but it's there if I need it. I ended up buying it over the 480 because market realities plus unfavorable currency exchange rates resulted in a larger local price difference. I expect internationally the 570 vs 580 price points will play out the same way.

With respect to naming conventions, let's not forget the NVidia Kepler series going from the 600s to the 700s when there was only incremental changes. Or the various Titan names being re-used. Or R9 290X to 390X with minor revision. Or... You get the idea. It seems inevitable. I think the marketing people want to always push the model numbers in the direction of 7 or 9 and they skip 8. :)

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
It's Polaris, but better Polaris. Its a minor update, but a decent little performance bump and they can call it whatever they want.

Vega will be something in the same spirit as Fury if you ask me. More hard hitting, expensive cards. I wouldn't even want to speculate whether Vega will dominate or not, but I trust they will be priced competitively.

Status
Not open for further replies.