[SOLVED] Amd Radeon RX 5700 flashing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 5, 2020
Hi there fellow gamers. I got a major issue with my card. I'm almost sure it's a driver issue, but nonetheless annoying. My screen suddenly flashes while playing. Settings and tweakings don't change anything. I got latest drivers, and my rig is as follows: Ryzen3600 with 16Gb of ram, Nvme SSD 500GB, Asus ROG STRIX 5700 OC 8Gb connected to A philips 4K screen, but playing in 2K. The video card doesn't overheat at all, it's around 55°C.
Thanks for any ideas you may have!

Solution
I'd see about getting a DP cable and trying it, just in case. If it works, the problem is solved. If not, you haven't lost much, and you have a DP cable for future use.

Otherwise you might be looking at a new monitor...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not entirely sure. The stress tests keep a continuous load, correct? Maybe the PSU can manage, to some extent, if it's got a constant load on it, but fails when it has to deal with a constantly changing load?

Just speculation, I'm not really sure that's the case. It could be the card - while I find a bad video card to be far less likely then a troublesome PSU, there's always SOME small failure rate.

May 5, 2020
Hi king, welcome to the small failure rate ;) I just changed my PSU with a Cooler Master 700W 80 Plus certified, which has 2 separated power cords for the Pci-e sockets in the card... and it keeps flashing like hell. Either it's a faulty card, or is provided by AMD with very faulty drivers. Whichever the case... I'm returning the card next tuesday. :) Thanks for your help!

May 5, 2020
Don't worry, I'm happy I got a better PSU, my girlfriend's rig needed another and my former one suits her good. I've ordered a 2060 super 8gb from Gigabyte (my 970gtx hasn't had a single issue in 4 years, same vendor). Might not be super cool like this rog strix, but sure as hell I ain't gonna have all this issues between drivers and all. Best of luck to you all!

May 5, 2020
No WAIT! :) You won't believe this! I tried my girlfriend's monitor and... no flickers! Everything smooth, not a single flash or flicker! And it's a very old LG monitor/tv! I can't believe it! Now... what do I do, besides getting an AMD Freesync II monitor? :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd see about getting a DP cable and trying it, just in case. If it works, the problem is solved. If not, you haven't lost much, and you have a DP cable for future use.

Otherwise you might be looking at a new monitor...

Solution