Review AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT Review: The Return of the 'Budget' GPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
this thing is so terrible its readily available for less than $300. Not even a 1650 is that cheap. A 1650!!! A GPU considered weak 3 years ago!!

Then... either the bashng and trashing is working, and/or there aren't many pepole with PCIe 4.0 bus that want this level of performance, and/or AMD really have lots of 6500 dies to sell, and/or people got tired of AMD and Nvidia laughing at thier faces.

I don't care about the new prices/pandemic and all that, this is not a u$ 200 on any universe.

InvalidError

Titan
Then... either the bashng and trashing is working, and/or there aren't many pepole with PCIe 4.0 bus that want this level of performance, and/or AMD really have lots of 6500 dies to sell, and/or people got tired of AMD and Nvidia laughing at thier faces.
Whatever the case may be, we'll find out soon enough how poorly RX6500 sales are going when retail prices drop. If in-stock MSRP models drop below MSRP while the GPU is still relevant and shortages persist at inflated prices on everything else, then you know for certain that the RX6500 is a monumental flop at $200.

Reactions: RodroX
Whatever the case may be, we'll find out soon enough how poorly RX6500 sales are going when retail prices drop. If in-stock MSRP models drop below MSRP while the GPU is still relevant and shortages persist at inflated prices on everything else, then you know for certain that the RX6500 is a monumental flop at $200.

Exactly, and to think that before the pandemic/shortage you could buy a RX 570 4GB for around U$120

Larry_11

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
AMD's Radeon RX 6500 XT comes with a theoretical price point of $199 and includes all the RDNA2 architectural goodness, but AMD may have gone a bit too far cutting features and specs.

AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT Review: The Return of the 'Budget' GPU : Read more

I just replaced an RX570 with
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6500 XT GAMING OC 4GB 64-bit GDDR6 Graphics Card with WINDFORCE 3X Fans

I am just starting to use it, but I see increased frame rates in my games over the 570 I had. I benchmarked it in Ashes of Singularity at 4k and got about a 20 percent improvement on both standard and crazy settings I paid 299 for it at Best Buy. I think its worth the money but two things stand out, first you cannot chain it together (sorry cannot recall the proper term) and second it has one HDMI and one display port. Intel 9700kf with 32gb of ram stock clocking

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Exactly, and to think that before the pandemic/shortage you could buy a RX 570 4GB for around U$120
I seem to recall that, after any rebates, discounts, etc., that the best price I'd ever seen on PCPartPicker for an RX570 4GB was $99.99, and the best for an RX 580 8GB was $159.99 (which I snagged).

I think that Gigabyte once sold a bunch of new RX 590 cards on eBay for $134.99, IIRC. It was posted on Tom's as one of the deals. They went quick.

Reactions: RodroX

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I just replaced an RX570 with
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6500 XT GAMING OC 4GB 64-bit GDDR6 Graphics Card with WINDFORCE 3X Fans

I am just starting to use it, but I see increased frame rates in my games over the 570 I had. I benchmarked it in Ashes of Singularity at 4k and got about a 20 percent improvement on both standard and crazy settings I paid 299 for it at Best Buy. I think its worth the money but two things stand out, first you cannot chain it together (sorry cannot recall the proper term) and second it has one HDMI and one display port. Intel 9700kf with 32gb of ram stock clocking
I don't think running benchmarks is the best way to see if performance will tank. Since you are using an older Intel chip, you will surely be on PCI-E 3.0. As such, every single review that did a comparison between PCI-E 3.0 and 4.0 with the RX 6500 XT have seen performance plummet with the older PCI-E bus.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

I don't care about the new prices/pandemic and all that, this is not a u$ 200 on any universe.
AMD will surely have a lot more RX 6500 chips since it is a very small chip, and AMD made sure of that by cutting out every single fat and meat off the bone. But I highly doubt they are selling them well in retail. Most of these chips are likely going to end up with OEMs since it is better to have some graphic card, than no graphic card to sell their PCs.