Review AMD Radeon RX 7600 Review: Incremental Upgrades

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

healthy Pro-teen

Prominent
Jun 23, 2022
while I understand the need to compare to previous gen, you are right... not many people buy a new GPU every generation so the gains some of the current gen cards offered over the older cards was enough to make some of us jump.

But most of them basically equal to their previous gen. AMD & Nvidia are guilty of that. AMD still needs to fill in the gap.
It's much better than the 6600, and AMD already discounted the 6650XT and 6600 and these are best value 1080p cards rn.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It's much better than the 6600, and AMD already discounted the 6650XT and 6600 and these are best value 1080p cards rn.
i watched the reviews, I saw it is being compared to 4060 TI wrongly. If AMD & Nvidia had been nice and released cards that are comparable, as opposed to different parts of the stack, we wouldn't have people comparing two different tier cards as if they the same.

Need to revisit once more cards are out. XT might compete with TI. might not... can't tell yet.

I wasn't buying one, just watching... have 7900xt. I don't need a new card for a few years (I hope).

Reactions: PEnns
D

Deleted member 2947362

Makes for a great upgrade for someone like me or who's maybe looking to upgrade from a RX5600XT and doesn't have much of a budget.

The only thing that's a bit off putting is the 128bit Vram even the RX5600XT has an 192bit bus and x16 PCIe 4.0 and this card dates back from the start of 2020.

Why are these Low Mid range tier cards priced so high if they use the cheaper 128bit Vram IC's and also on a lot of newer mid range cards they have lower PCIE 4.0 x8.

I know these cards are probably not powerful enough to take advantage of x16 PCIe 4.0, however all this must amount to less cost to the board design, parts and manufacture costs.

It's the kind of price I would consider if wanting to upgrade, but if I'm honest.. I think I will just keep what I already have and wait until the next gen of graphics cards to see if the view in the field doesn't look so muddy.

I think I just have to accept, I can't afford these Luxury's anymore these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: adbatista

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I couldn't help noticing how well the RX 6800 has done in those tests. If it would drop by a $100 or so in price, that would be my card for the next 5- 6 years!!

Hey, AMD actually read the room!

While it fell under my own expectations, I have to say because AV1 encoding and being $270, it gets a pass from me.

Sure, it's still about the same as the 6650XT and under the 6700, but thanks to the nVidia zealots, this card will just get cheaper over time and it means I'll be able to get one for AV1 encoding alone without having to suffer with Intel drivers. Yes, I sad it xD

Now, let's see how AIB models stack up, since from what I saw in the graphs, there's still some gas left in the tank. I'm sure this thing can catch up to the 6700XT, but at the expense of power. Still no replacement for the lack of VRAM, but assuming ~$300 for an AIB model with better cooling and higher clocks, it may even make the 4060 nervous.

So... AMD, do you have a faster card for us? I hope this is just one version and you'll release the XT/XTX version next with more VRAM. Yes?

Regards.

InvalidError

Titan
So for about 33% less than the 4060 Ti 8gb you get about 33% less performance on average while losing out on DLSS and other Nvidia features while dealing with AMDs not exactly stellar software experience.
Which is fine IMO when you don't have an extra $130 to spend on a still only 8GB GPU with 128bits bus guaranteed to struggle with some current games at higher details and more of those in the near future.

Now that Intel's A750 is down to $200, it should be very tempting for budget gamers to make a bet on that getting even better over time instead of anything over $250. With sanity returning to the entry-level GPU pricing space, chances are we'll have far more robust options in the $200-300 range 2-3 years from now.

May 19, 2023
It is the intensive training program to learn users to save their work and deal with uncertainty. Normally you pay for such courses, but here you are getting it for free.

tjvaldez01

Honorable
May 16, 2018
While reading this article, I'm not sure which card they are comparing it too. I see comparisons to RX 6600, 6600xt, and 6650xt? It should be compared to 6600 only as that is the card it replaces in the stack. Other cards are step(s) up in the hierarchy.

Reactions: sherhi

InvalidError

Titan
While reading this article, I'm not sure which card they are comparing it too. I see comparisons to RX 6600, 6600xt, and 6650xt? It should be compared to 6600 only as that is the card it replaces in the stack. Other cards are step(s) up in the hierarchy.
What most people care the most about is performance per dollar regardless of what the products are branded like and on that metric, the RX7600's most direct competitor is the RX6650superflous-XT which costs almost exactly the same and performs almost exactly the same in most cases.

May 22, 2023
This is is way better than crap, it's the best value according to HUB testing of real world pricing. AMD also did discount the RX6650XT a lot so it's not the only option but that's a good thing in my opinion.
Yes, let's all trust HUB because it's not at all an AMD shilling channel. The RX 7600 review wasn't super positive, but HUB does say some idiotic stuff. Like this gem:
View: https://youtu.be/Yhoj2kfk-x0?t=1334

"It's also worth noting that texture quality has a massive impact on visuals and is far more significant than stuff like ray tracing for example."

Then goes on to talk about graphics cards that cost $200 more than the RX 7600 and how their 16GB of memory will make things so much better. Has he ever even tried turning down texture quality one level? Because high quality textures are mostly indistinguishable from ultra quality textures while using half the memory. How does anyone watch that and not get the AMD bias? That's a page practically ripped from AMD marketing.

Tom's did a really good job of explaining why higher resolution textures that bloat memory use aren't even that important. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-does-4k-gaming-require-so-much-vram Ray tracing done properly can make a far bigger difference than going from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048 textures.

But with AMD's <Mod Edit> ray tracing implementations that are in all the consoles, guess what? Console games have to be very careful with ray tracing so that performance doesn't completely suck. And we get half-assed solutions like the ray tracing shadows in every AMD promoted game that has the tech. From Dirt 5 to Far Cry 6 to the latest Star Wars, AMD promoted games that have ray tracing never look as good as Nvidia promoted games with ray tracing.

Look at Cyberpunk RT Overdrive for what ray tracing can actually do if devs fully embraced it. So much better than hybrid ray tracing, and it actually runs okay even on RTX 20-series cards with DLSS. On AMD GPUs, however, performance is horrible and the best you can hope for is maximum upscaling to get to 60 fps. Actually, not even then. This slide from Tom's article says it all:

uYzCuMbiQJjQvKwazFDA8Z.png

Four years after the RTX 2080 Ti came out, it's still basically matching the ray tracing performance of AMD's fastest GPU, the RX 7900 XTX. Oh, and it had nearly the same price! So, if you spent $1200 in 2018 on a 2080 Ti, you could have used it for the past four and a half years. The old "Just Buy It" meme seems like maybe it wasn't even that far off. (Or even better: If you had bought an RTX 2080 Ti for $1200 in 2018, you could have sold it for $1500 in mid-2021 thanks to mining and GPU shortages!)

Also, love how HUB's like "This is way too expensive... it needs to be $250 at most!" Because if it were $20 cheaper, then it would be "laughably bad" judging by his RTX 4060 Ti review. RTX 4060 Ti is a bit faster than an RTX 3060 Ti, for the same price, and it has some new technology and uses 50W less power. "LAUGHABLY BAD!!!" It must have hurt HUB dearly to have to admit that AMD's RX 7600 was an even worse offering.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Yes, let's all trust HUB because it's not at all an AMD shilling channel. The RX 7600 review wasn't super positive, but HUB does say some idiotic stuff. Like this gem:

"It's also worth noting that texture quality has a massive impact on visuals and is far more significant than stuff like ray tracing for example."

Then goes on to talk about graphics cards that cost $200 more than the RX 7600 and how their 16GB of memory will make things so much better. Has he ever even tried turning down texture quality one level? Because high quality textures are mostly indistinguishable from ultra quality textures while using half the memory. How does anyone watch that and not get the AMD bias? That's a page practically ripped from AMD marketing.

Tom's did a really good job of explaining why higher resolution textures that bloat memory use aren't even that important. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-does-4k-gaming-require-so-much-vram Ray tracing done properly can make a far bigger difference than going from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048 textures.

But with AMD's <Mod Edit> ray tracing implementations that are in all the consoles, guess what? Console games have to be very careful with ray tracing so that performance doesn't completely suck. And we get half-assed solutions like the ray tracing shadows in every AMD promoted game that has the tech. From Dirt 5 to Far Cry 6 to the latest Star Wars, AMD promoted games that have ray tracing never look as good as Nvidia promoted games with ray tracing.

Look at Cyberpunk RT Overdrive for what ray tracing can actually do if devs fully embraced it. So much better than hybrid ray tracing, and it actually runs okay even on RTX 20-series cards with DLSS. On AMD GPUs, however, performance is horrible and the best you can hope for is maximum upscaling to get to 60 fps. Actually, not even then. This slide from Tom's article says it all:

Four years after the RTX 2080 Ti came out, it's still basically matching the ray tracing performance of AMD's fastest GPU, the RX 7900 XTX. Oh, and it had nearly the same price! So, if you spent $1200 in 2018 on a 2080 Ti, you could have used it for the past four and a half years. The old "Just Buy It" meme seems like maybe it wasn't even that far off. (Or even better: If you had bought an RTX 2080 Ti for $1200 in 2018, you could have sold it for $1500 in mid-2021 thanks to mining and GPU shortages!)

Also, love how HUB's like "This is way too expensive... it needs to be $250 at most!" Because if it were $20 cheaper, then it would be "laughably bad" judging by his RTX 4060 Ti review. RTX 4060 Ti is a bit faster than an RTX 3060 Ti, for the same price, and it has some new technology and uses 50W less power. "LAUGHABLY BAD!!!" It must have hurt HUB dearly to have to admit that AMD's RX 7600 was an even worse offering.
So a channel that bends over backwards (interpreting your comments on it) to justify a bad review on a GPU still makes them a shill for that company because they don't agree with your super correct take on the product?

Ok...

I'll take Steve's quote, from GN's review, print it and put it on a frame, because it made me spit my tea: "the 4060ti is obviously faster, offering 28% more performance and 100% more disappointment for only $100 more; what a bargain!".

I think that summarizes this whole ordeal, really.

The RX7600 is no shining knight in bright armour, but it's not friggen Gollum trying to take your wallet. Kind of...

EDIT: I forgot to thank Jarred for the review! Again, I think your finding and numbers across so many different areas are great. Great information for a full well-rounded review and conclusions. I think LTT's findings mimic yours quite well and I liked his take on this as well. Strangely enough...

Regards.

Reactions: King_V
You might not have a choice if the card decides its had enough. They don't last forever. I have had 4 GPU since 2013, two of them are spares now (GTX 960 & 2070 Super), one died (GTX 980) and last is only 6 months old... how time flies.

I am sure the newer GPU look better than your current one.
Until December I was running a Radeon R9 285. While the card didn't die, it was starting to have problems. My monitor was always pinkish (not the monitor either as it was fine connected to the laptop) which made me think the RAMDAC was failing on my old GPU.

Makaveli

Splendid

Instead of writing all that you could have just said I prefer Nvidia gpu's

So for about 33% less than the 4060 Ti 8gb you get about 33% less performance on average while losing out on DLSS and other Nvidia features while dealing with AMDs not exactly stellar software experience.
FSR 2 works quite well and is comparable to DLSS. What other "features" do you mean? Hairworks??? I've not had any issues with the AMD software in a LONG time and I've had Radeon GPUs in my desktop for 10 years now. On the other hand on my work computer with an nVidia GPU I had problems with their software all the time. What finally fixed that problem was the pandemic and me being able to work from home. The AMD Software this or AMD Drives that is a falsity that people, like you, have tried to keep spreading for over a decade now to discredit AMD GPUs.

Glad to see that the RX6750 made it into these charts. It still seems like the next step up for $330 with 1440 capability.
Yeah, that one was the last GPU I tested while writing this up. I had RX 6700 XT numbers, but the 6750 XT can be the better option depending on prices these days. So I finished the last benchmarks of the 6750 XT at like 3am, and the article went live at 7am. This is also why the 6750 XT wasn't in the 4060 Ti review...

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
People are overreacting weirdly and expecting too much. Wake up guys, this is not even an XT card. What did you expect? Its 2023, process node jumps are very small (7nm v 6nm) and architectural improvements will only do very little. Amid the wake of inflation and high costs, this is a well-priced GPU in my opinion. I don' t really expect a card that doesn't even have the XT factor to perform exceptionally well, look at history, most non-XT cards performed unimpressively. However, I really appreciate how AMD reacted to the community and the feedback of youtubers to reduce price even further, it tells you that they're listening, and having an eye on the competition.

InvalidError

Titan
Amid the wake of inflation and high costs, this is a well-priced GPU in my opinion. I don' t really expect a card that doesn't even have the XT factor to perform exceptionally well, look at history, most non-XT cards performed unimpressively.
There is unimpressive and then there is delivering almost exactly the same performance for almost exactly the same price as two years old cards from the previous generation.

The only major positive about the RX7600 is that it should nudge everything else in its neighborhood down, like Intel's A750 going down to $200.

I went back nearly seven years and read reviews of the (USD) $290 GTX 1060 6GB (192-bit) and $230 RX 470 8GB (256-bit). Both were far better entry-mid range value cards for their performance and money specifically in compared with their previous generations even at higher tiers.

Now for the real controversial statement as both a 4K PC gamer and PS5 gamer: with 5th generation $500 consoles out there running games at 4k/60FPS, I just don't see how anyone would even remotely be interested anymore in building an entry level gaming PC for just 1080p or at best 1440p gaming these days.

EDIT: Thank you Jarred for your work as always!