Review AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX and XT Review: Shooting for the Top

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Agreed on the CPU part unless you do 4K which then requires a good GPU and if the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU, you will get micro stutters because the CPU is not fast enough. Anything running at 1080p is going to depend more on the CPU. Going to 1440p will require some from both and 4K will primarily require a strong GPU and the CPU needs to be fast enough to keep up with its demands. My i9-10850K is still good enough to handle 4K but going from 30 to 60FPS requires at least a 3090 or 6900 XT.

MSFS 2020 is so main thread depended that you even can CPU bottle neck a 4090 in 4k.....especially close to the ground with a lot of live traffic infusion on complex 3rd party detailed airports in study level 3rd party airliner (which is the most fun). Doesn't matter the video card.....CPU has to calculate a lot, no matter what....

mjbn1977

Distinguished
The price on that 7900 XTX is scalpers price at $1800 because I just looked up the MSRP on the 7900 XTX and it is $999.
DAH, Captain obvious.....I posted this with a LOL for fun, since scalpers even trying it now again, after getting burned with the 4080......of course it is a scalper, and yes, everyone knows that the MSRP is $999......

colossusrage

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
I think if you have an RTX 3080 or above / RX6800 or above, there is no need to upgrade to this generation. The 4090 effectively is the only card to double performance over the 3080, but it comes at double the cost of a 3080. I'm going to sit this one out. If I was coming from anything older, I would consider a 7900XTX after a few months post release to see if some of the power issues and other bugs are ironed out.

A monotholic 7900 XTX was going to be priced similarly to the 4080 at $1200 or even more, but for what? a slightly more performance?
This is the first generation of a "True Chiplet GPU" so you would expect some problems and things that needs to be improved.
Cutting costs is now a priority, and its for the benefit of end-user/customers first. Tech companies will gladly sell you a monotholic chip but don't expect 2018-2019 prices.
I do understand that there is a performance hit, but this chiplet technology is still not mature and still getting improved.
This is where the industry is heading, to using chiplets. Wafer costs are skyrocking and not getting cheaper anytime soon.
Maybe intel "Tiles" approach will solve most of the chiplet problems.. who knows but one thing for sure is that chiplets are the future.
Nvidia charges $1200 because it can — some people (enough?) are willing to pay that. AMD basically matches them on performance and charges $1000. But how much do the GPUs actually cost?

380 mm2 on 4N (tweaked N5P) for Nvidia, simple packaging (no chiplet stuff)
300 mm2 on N5P plus 220 mm2 on N7P for AMD, more complex packaging for chiplets

I look at that and can't help but think the cost of 80 mm2 on latest gen process probably ends up being less than 220 mm2 on n-1 process, plus the additional cost of the high performance fanout bridge. So rip out Infinity Fabric (about 15% of the die area), shrink things down, and a monolithic Navi 31 implementation probably ends up right around 400 mm2, maybe less. And because AMD can't charge as high of a premium, and because it probably ends up being close to the same cost for manufacturing, AMD still charges $1000.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I want to say how utterly disappointing this release is for AMD . In general this generation for both AMD and Nvidia is underwhelming. Everyone is over-charging for the performance given for starters. The 7900XT(X) should have been the 7800XT(X) from what I am seeing in the benchmarks. It would seem both AMD and Nvidia are wanting to charge more for less in the enthusiast/high end market. I feel like the 4090 should have launched at the 4080's MSRP of 1199 despite oddly being the best bang for the buck this gen. The 4080 should have been 799-850 while the 7900XTX should have slotted in at 699-750 while be named the 7800XTX (again based on performance not being the top SKU for AMD). Hopefully the market will course correct but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Here's to hoping. 🤞

Reactions: digitalgriffin

elforeign

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I am currently playing Cyberpunk 2077 on Ultra Settings with Raytracing on highest settings (Psycho) on 1440p without using DLSS. Average framerate is 60fps. I call that very well playable. And that is probably the most intense raytracing title out there. no stuttering....

You're also on a 4080, so kinda defeats the purpose of having prices be reasonable for a GPU.

I have a 3080 12gb which I got for MSRP at $750 and game just fine on CP with DLSS at 2K.

Reactions: systemBuilder_49

mjbn1977

Distinguished
You're also on a 4080, so kinda defeats the purpose of having prices be reasonable for a GPU.

I have a 3080 12gb which I got for MSRP at $750 and game just fine on CP with DLSS at 2K.

Yeah....I usually also turn on DLSS (quality) at 2K in Cyberpunk. I literally can't see a difference (and I keep searching for one) between on and off besides having about 40fps more.

But I responded to someone that generalized Raytracing to be unable to deliver unplayable framerates.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Typical, I was one day early. XTX sold out as soon as they appeared. I was asleep. A few XT around though. the Powercolor Red Devil looks reasonable.
https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1668741687

Guess I'm one of the happy few that does not care a whit about RT, so these cards are compelling given the absurd pricing on nVidia. This would be the first AMD card I've gone with since the ATI days.

It will be my first one in almost 10 years, I think I had the gpu that went into PS3. The games I play don't have RT so I won't miss it.

I think if you have an RTX 3080 or above / RX6800 or above, there is no need to upgrade to this generation.
Yep, but if its a few generations you will notice the difference.

Reactions: J_E_D_70

mjbn1977

Distinguished

I hate scalpers.....I really wanted to get a RTX 3080 in 2020 and searched and searched and couldn't get one. I just couldn't get myself to buy from a scalper. The 4080 and even the 7900s are really expensive. If they would be all $200 or more cheaper we might would have the same scalper problem. Looks like Nvidia thought about this the same way and said "you know what....if we make the prices lower, the scalpers increase the price anyway, so why not take that extra cash for ourself and cut the middleman (scalper) out of the picture". And AMD went "Hell yeah, thank you Nvidia, now we can price our $600 and $700 cards $300 higher"

Reactions: salgado18

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I hate scalpers.....I really wanted to get a RTX 3080 in 2020 and searched and searched and couldn't get one. I just couldn't get myself to buy from a scalper. The 4080 and even the 7900s are really expensive. If they would be all $200 or more cheaper we might would have the same scalper problem. Looks like Nvidia thought about this the same way and said "you know what....if we make the prices lower, the scalpers increase the price anyway, so why not take that extra cash for ourself and cut the middleman (scalper) out of the picture". And AMD went "Hell yeah, thank you Nvidia, now we can price our $600 and $700 cards $300 higher"
I initially wanted the RX 6800XT, but then all hell broke loose and my odds of getting one normally went up in smoke.
Ok, how about a 3080 FE from Best Buy or FTW3 Hybrid* from EVGA? Tried for 5 months and gave up.
[I don't know why my dumbass didn't just get in the queue for EVGA's non-Hybrids - since that queue was moving faster - and then just buy a Hybrid kit... I guess the desire for an upgrade wasn't that serious XD]
Pricing went down later, but I didn't care anymore and new stuff is here which doesn't meet my desires.

It's a hobby for me, I'm not after the latest and greatest(1440p doesn't require THAT much horsepower), but I do want to stay the gpu liquid cooling route with either an Alphacool AIO or a gpu only custom loop; get the lowest tier model that fits those.

[I don't know why my dumbass didn't just get in the queue for EVGA's non-Hybrids - since that queue was moving faster - and then just buy a Hybrid kit... I guess the desire for an upgrade wasn't that serious XD]
If it's any consolation a friend of mine had the hybrid kit on notification from like Dec 2020 and it was never in stock. I was fortunately able to get one of the hybrid 12gb when they hit reasonable prices the first time post launch.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Dec 13, 2022
Why don't AMD use an extra chiplet but run the card at a much reduced frequency? The power draw would be far far less but the performance greater?

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Wasn't AMD that told us it would be a 1.5x6950XT? The moniker"XTX" would at least make some sense anyway. Well l.. at least its priced right considering it's a 6900XT sucessor launched at exactly the same msrp. But I'm really disappointed that there won't be a 7700XTX with 1.5x6750XT performance at $500 😭 Oh well.. at least its AMD , I want to support them

Last edited:

HC1Gunner

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Our Radeon RX 7900 XTX and 7900 XT testing shows a big improvement over AMD's previous generation cards, with the XTX at least managing to trade blows with the RTX 4080 while costing $200 less. Even so, at $999 and $899, the fastest AMD cards for the RDNA 3 series don't come cheap.

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX and XT Review: Shooting for the Top : Read more

This is the same joke we had two years ago when there was a global chip shortage keep most Users from be able to purchase a graphics card. Here most people sit in the same boat again, can't score a card from AMD or Nvidia, instant sell outs. Lot of 4080 on the shelfs, but most people don't want a 4080 because its too close in price to the 4090. With no chip shortage, why AMD has NO stock out of the gates is just plain stupid, I'm so sick of these companies games they play with no regard to home Users, and mostly catering to the OEM companies.
I have all my new hardware for my new build, once again all I lack is a video card. I'd rather have the 7900 XTX (save some $$), but I can see the way things are going with AMD and its 3rd party cards, I going to be forced into buying a 4080, and wasting $500!

anonymousdude

Distinguished
i wonder how many of the 200k cards were XT models.

There were more of those available here but then everyone was told to avoid them.

I'd imagine far too many. Caused by a combination of binning and expected demand.

Yeah....I usually also turn on DLSS (quality) at 2K in Cyberpunk. I literally can't see a difference (and I keep searching for one) between on and off besides having about 40fps more.

But I responded to someone that generalized Raytracing to be unable to deliver unplayable framerates.

You gotta look at the fine details like thin lines and hair. It's also much easier to tell on a bigger monitor and with a still frame. That being said DLSS Quality and FSR2 Quality both look fairly indistinguishable from native. Even FSR Ultra Quality wasn't that bad. It's when you start getting to the lower settings that more artifacts start to pop up.

Honestly, raytracing is a couple of generations off before it becomes a mainstream feature. The hardware just simply needs to catch up. DLSS and FSR2 are being used as a bandaid for the underlying hardware problem instead of their intended use. Which IMO is to extend the useful life of hardware, not to use it day one just to hit your target frames.

Reactions: systemBuilder_49

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I want to say how utterly disappointing this release is for AMD . In general this generation for both AMD and Nvidia is underwhelming. Everyone is over-charging for the performance given for starters. The 7900XT(X) should have been the 7800XT(X) from what I am seeing in the benchmarks.
I have to agree that AMD's cards were mis-named BUT theoretically their cards have WAY MORE POWER than the 4080 and as to the mis-naming - who knew that NVidia would make a 4090 card with FIFTY percent more power than the 4080? That's crazy!

AMD should have reacted by renaming their cards the 7800xt and 7850xt. But they have BY FAR the best GFlops/$ of anything ever built, 60 for the 7900 xtx, 58 for the 7900xt, vs a paltry 49 for the 4090, and 40 for the 4080. No other GPU is above the mid 30's per $.

So I am very happy that people don't want to buy them because that makes it easy for me to buy them and I bought a 7900xt today, happily, at msrp. The chance that the 7900xt gets 10% faster over time and exceeds the 4080 is high. the two cards have 10% and 30% higher peak TFlops than the 4080. The ray tracing of the xtx is 3090 TI level and of the xt is 3080 TI level which is good enough for me.

I like to call ray tracing "shooting at puddles" because in multiplayer games it is virtually useless because even if you see an enemy in a puddle, the puddle will not support a ricochet shot so what good is it? And would you rather play in the rain or in the sunshine?

Last edited: