AMD Releases Catalyst 13.2 Beta Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyevil

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Got it yesterday when they hit and YES they did make a difference for my gigabyte 7970gh edition card. I noticed slight improvements in the Crysis3 beta vs 13.1

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Skyrim, GW2, Borderlands 2... awesome.How about Farcry3?[/citation]
Unfortunately nothing was mentioned in the release notes about Far Cry 3. This seems like a smaller update, although it might contain a few fixes or performance improvements that haven't been mentioned in the release notes. I wouldn't be able to say anything about that though. 12.11beta/13.1 did have some nice FC3 performance improvements though. Do consider, this is still a beta release.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Lets be honest here, I never have AMD/ATI graphic card, but I think their driver is better than Nvidia now.

Nvidia driver lately is full of crap.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I just want to know, does the 6950 stand anything to gain? They say 6000 series but often times the improvements are 7000 series only.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I am really glad to hear about big latency improvements in Skyrim. I have a 7850, and the stutter (which shows despite a solid 60FPS) is incredibly disorienting. The download rate for this patch is slow as molasses, but when I get it installed, I'll have to see if there's any improvement.

[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Skyrim, GW2, Borderlands 2... awesome.How about Farcry3?[/citation]

Worse for Far Cry 3, IMO. The first beta was better. With beta 3 I was having some really weird issues. Alot of flashing boxes, and some really weird issues with certain road surfaces. The road groves looked almost like looking at it through water. Very weird texture glitch.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Lets be honest here, I never have AMD/ATI graphic card, but I think their driver is better than Nvidia now. Nvidia driver lately is full of crap.[/citation]
what are you taliking about? you dont have an AMD card, but you think their driver is better? On what are you basing that information? and on what basis is nvidia driver full of crap?
Anyway, hopefully thefind a fix for the latency and farcry 3 bugs when the proper non-beta driver is released.

dkcomputer

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]pit_1209[/nom]Let´s be realistics....... don´t be a fanboy.[/citation]

Yeah, being realistic about it, ATI drivers have always been absolutely crap. Look back 10 years, its the same problem they have always had, and apparently will always have. I'd love to own the performance of the new ATI cards for their price, but EVERY single time I get burned with bug after bug after bug on game after game after game, on every single generation. I quit buying ATI for the last time 3 years ago. I recently built a computer for someone who insisted on an AMD 7970, and the very first time he tried to play dota2 he had fatal errors from his graphics card. DOTA2.

How any company has the same major problems for so many years blows my mind, I don't understand why everyone who makes drivers hasn't been fired and completely restructure the department.

beardedvillain

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
As far as Skyrim goes, I was getting almost unplayable stuttering in doors and in general in Skyrim on my 7950, and the only way to fix it was to limit my frame-rate to 59. This definitely fixed it. However, in addition to fixing the stuttering, it also brought along some really bad mouse lag. I found that limiting my frame-rate back to 59 fixed the mouse lag and still prevented stuttering. So, this driver doesn't help me much, but it's nice to know that they are working against it.

[citation][nom]dkcomputer[/nom]Yeah, being realistic about it, ATI drivers have always been absolutely crap. Look back 10 years, its the same problem they have always had, and apparently will always have. I'd love to own the performance of the new ATI cards for their price, but EVERY single time I get burned with bug after bug after bug on game after game after game, on every single generation. I quit buying ATI for the last time 3 years ago. I recently built a computer for someone who insisted on an AMD 7970, and the very first time he tried to play dota2 he had fatal errors from his graphics card. DOTA2.How any company has the same major problems for so many years blows my mind, I don't understand why everyone who makes drivers hasn't been fired and completely restructure the department.[/citation]

I must say i have never had problems with ati or now amd drivers, just take up good driver installation practices of fully removing and clearing old drivers before installing newer drivers rather than installing over the top of older drivers.

also i must say this is the best driver i have had for my 7870 so far even directx9 games not mentioned appear to have stuttering reduced/gone, i cannot wait for the memory scheduler rewrite to help stuttering in dx10/11 games.

gamingboy

Honorable
May 5, 2012
[citation][nom]sirencall[/nom]I just want to know, does the 6950 stand anything to gain? They say 6000 series but often times the improvements are 7000 series only.[/citation]

Yes. It actually fixed some Crossfire problems for me, as in Borderlands 2 would run slower if ran with Crossfire. Now it works like a charm.

It's funny... The stuttering is what made me quit AMD two years ago and we're still talking about it as an issue and people are satisfied with 'reduced' stuttering. I guess you save a few bucks and deal with it?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]They suck like every other AMD drivers.[/citation]

And they suck less than when the class action lawsuit was filed against Nvidia when they lied about their GPU calculation problem for 4 years. I would rather have a driver issue than have to replace the video card completely

markem

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Nvidia needs to catch up to AMD`s superior Performance, price and smoothness. AMD is starting to dominate nvidia on all fronts, this can`t be good for the nvidia fan boys bcoz now the cant even play the "nvidia have better drivers" card rofl

Nvidia really does have better drivers. I can only speak based on my own experience. They've been consistently that way for me for a couple of years now; especially in multi-card configurations.

I've gone from 580s to 680s with no stutter in SLI. I couldn't say the same when I had a single 5850 or 2x5850s or 3x5850s. The only time I had no stutter with the AMD/ATI cards was with only one card in my system. I couldn't figure out why my framerate was so good with crossfire, but the video would stutter at various times. Once I replaced the 5850s with my 580s, I was sold on Nvidia. No driver errors. No stutter.

In my opinion, again based on my personal experience, there's a reason you pay a little bit more for Nvidia cards.

But I never went through having to ever replace any of my cards or having to deal with GPU calculation lies.

At any rate, I think the AMD cards are entirely capable, but the driver team doesn't quite have it together and haven't for (at least 2) years. It will be hard to convince me otherwise at this point since I haven't had to deal with any issues with SLI. When you fork out lots of good money for these things, you don't want to have to deal with reduced performance due to stuttering or other driver-related issues.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
[citation][nom]markem[/nom]Nvidia needs to catch up to AMD`s superior Performance, price and smoothness. AMD is starting to dominate nvidia on all fronts, this can`t be good for the nvidia fan boys bcoz now the cant even play the "nvidia have better drivers" card rofl[/citation]
There's no 'catching up' to be done. As far as I can tell, Nvidia and AMD are pretty much neck-and-neck in the GPU business; the only thing AMD lacks is a 7990 model to answer to the GTX690. AMD's weak point has, as far as I can tell, only ever been their drivers. Nvidia's strong point has been frame latency - with an Nvidia card beside an equally-powerful AMD card, at equal framerates, the Nvidia card's output will apparently look smoother because of the lower frame latency. If they're not side by side, most people can't tell except in a few cases (Skyrim).

And I have tried Skyrim with the new drivers - it is buttery smooth now.

Don't be a fanboy, okay?

gallovfc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
You guys should make a 5760x1080 (or 3240x1920 in protrait) shootout. Choosing the minimum AMD and Nvidia cards required to play each game. From Wow to Crysis 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.