AMD Releases New Athlon FX CPU SKUs, Wraith Coolers Join The Party

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm sorry you thought that. If you'd asked, I could have saved you a bit of typing.

That would probably be considered an abuse of the voting system.

I should have just told you: Okay, where is my FM2+-socketed APU with Excavator core & GCN GPU? It's not in stores, and it's not on any current roadmap. And if you could prove that wrong, I'd happily thank you! But, as it stands, it sounds pretty dead, to me. Of course, they could always announce it tomorrow, but that doesn't make me wrong today.

It doesn't help me that they managed to salvage some portions of the die for another product. But you were too busy trying to prove me wrong on some technicality to see my point, which is that A10-7860K is not Carrizo and that you can't buy a desktop APU that is Carrizo. That's all I care about, and all I was trying to say. I don't think it was hard to understand that's what I meant, as long as you're not reading with a mindset of picking people apart.

Just curious: are you capable of having discussions with people for more than 5 minutes without it turning into an argument? I actually know people who can't, so I'm just wondering...

AMDHTPC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
"AMD Releases New Athlon FX CPU SKUs" - Did I miss something or are the 3 FX CPU SKU's referenced in the title the new "PhantomFX" CPU's, because their nowhere to be found in this article. Could the title of the article be any more misleading?

That is what I said the Article title says "New Athlon FX" but its all about the AMD APUs, which are not for gaming. Oh and Shrubbery, lol!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Bit, you say that you understand why they would disable the GPU, but you said things like this:
It sounds really odd that they wouldn't sell an APU version, if they went to all the trouble of building a die with a full GPU
So you must forgive me, because that leaves me with the impression that you think it is odd that they wouldn't sell an APU version, if they went to all the trouble of building a die with a full GPU. :p Well, I can see how you might think it is odd, but it becomes less odd once you consider the following:

Carrizo was built and optimized for lower TDPs and moderate clockspeeds. That plus architectural improvements makes Carrizo much better than Kaveri and Godavari (Kaveri Refresh) in the mobile 35W-or-less market. However in the desktop world, they aren't replacing those designs with Carrizo when it comes to full desktop APUs. That is either because FM2+ doesn't support the necessary voltage planes for the GPU side (rumor) or simply because they can't hit high enough clocks with the lower-TDP-optimized Carrizo. So that DOES beg the question, why release Carrizo Athlons at all? Because they are useless in the laptop world if they have a nonfunctional (defective/flawed) GPU. They either disable the GPU and turn them into moderately-clocked desktop Athlons (pushing them as high as they reasonably can given their nature), or throw them away. In hindsight that makes my own wish for an unlocked Carrizo Athlon "K" to be unlikely and even pointless, unless they overvolt well.

As far as Excavator + GCN on FM2+ goes? Extremely unlikely for reasons above. They would probably need a new/modified design, and if they do release a fully enabled Excavator APU (be it Carrizo, Carrizo Refresh, or something else) it will probably be on AM4. At this point they'd be crazy to put any more resources into FM2+. The only reason we saw Carrizo Athlons was because they were a byproduct that would otherwise have been wasted.

Take care, young Shrubbery.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

I'm sorry for my part in dragging out our argument. I understood what you were saying, and it was a fair point, even if I can't get the fully-functional FM2+ Carrizo I wanted, since last year. I didn't like being downvoted, when that's all I was trying to point out. But, what's a vote or two, really?

This article was a bait and switch I think THG purposely put a misleading title
"New Athlon FX CPU SKUs" to get people to read it since few really care about or are interested in APUs. I feel used, so I'm done with this thread.

And Shrubbery

Status
Not open for further replies.