AMD Releases New Athlon FX CPU SKUs, Wraith Coolers Join The Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

What about this article is biased in any way? I never even mentioned Intel. This is a straight forward news post comparing AMD's new products to their existing ones without any negative spin on the article at all.

Just because somebody accidentally put in the wrong CPU doesn't mean their biased. That's a very weak argument to start with.

Plus, remember guys that the A10-7850K is still the flagship CPU for the APU lineup.

It does not say "top of the line" it states that the A10 7860K is a new high end APU. How is that incorrect or say it is the top of the line?

What Intel bias? This article in no way mentions Intel at all nor does it state anything bad about the new CPUs/APUs. It just talks about the new parts and information given about them.

You are really reaching.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Actually, this is good to see that they're getting their thermals under control. The Intel Haswell set of chips are 88w designs for the most part, and these are 65w designs. Considering the disparity in IPC, it's very likely that these might be closer to being competitive on a performance per watt basis.

Against the Skylake series? Nope, not going to be close, but at least they're making progress.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
"AMD’s Zen CPUs are still a ways off, but the company has a few new products based on its current processor technology for users to get excited about."

Yippeee...bring out the champaigne
/Sarcasm

Refresh after refresh. Wake me up when FX Zen is here.

Aug 5, 2015

Just because somebody accidentally put in the wrong CPU doesn't mean their biased. That's a very weak argument to start with.

Plus, remember guys that the A10-7850K is still the flagship CPU for the APU lineup.

No, that's also incorrect. the 7850K was succeeded by the 7870K.

Aug 5, 2015

It does not say "top of the line" it states that the A10 7860K is a new high end APU. How is that incorrect or say it is the top of the line?

What Intel bias? This article in no way mentions Intel at all nor does it state anything bad about the new CPUs/APUs. It just talks about the new parts and information given about them.

You are really reaching.
The article was edited earlier this morning. It used to read "top of the line" instead of "energy efficient." The writer downvoted me when I mentioned it.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
The article was edited earlier this morning. It used to read "top of the line" instead of "energy efficient." The writer downvoted me when I mentioned it.

Don't you ever point out inaccuracies or inconsistencies in my articles!!!!!!

I AM THE LAW

gmayol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
"Why do you downvote someone just for stating the truth?"
hmmm do you live in Wonderland ?
that's what you should expect these days... :)

The 40% reduction in energy use of Excavator cores is due to architectural changes or it is just the fab. node... surely being myself naive.
Anyway, probably the proper energy eficiency comparison should be comparing processors built with the same fabrication process node. And probably the same purpose, it makes no sense comparing a flagship processor (built for max speed) eficiency to a budget balanced processor (built around some sweetspot).

Surely I'd like to read a deeper "hands on" article on Excavator cores...

Cheeers

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Desktop Excavator was always supposed to have a 65W TDP; whilst the GPU-less 845 will stay below this, Excavator will not scale quite as well as Steamroller so I would imagine the revised cooler is necessary if you plan on overclocking.

Lopping off half the L2 and introducing a bigger L1 probably makes sense, especially considering the transistor and power budget from having L2 cache, plus the fact the L1 was too small in previous iterations.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm curious to see whether the actual efficiency improvements are anything like the TDP drop they claim. Hard to see how this can be achieved without either a new core or process node.

I think it's revealing that they're shipping a 95 W cooler with the chip.

Ethan Feinhaus

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure that the 95W cooler is the cheapest thing the AMD currently has to be used for that purpose.
Besides, it never hurts to have a colder CPU.

Nice AMD! The new Wraith cooler is a great addition, as well as the Excavator architecture and improved iGPU, even if only slightly. This is what I like about AMD, they manage to take their designs and improve them bit by bit, little by little, while having an attractive price.

I'm not sure on the exact details for this unit, but AMD has made it a standard practice to release higher clocked or more energy efficient units after their CPUs have aged a bit. In the past, AMD was able to do this thanks to a combination of a matured fabrication process with higher yields of better quality chips and minor adjustments in the CPU. Improvements because of the fabrication process happened with the FX 8370 and FX 8370E not too long ago. AMD also did improvements by minor adjustments with the Jaguar into Puma cores as well, where they were able to shave the voltage down on numerous components to drop TDP a fair bit. So it is likely that the A10-7860K gets its reduced TDP from one of these factors or a combination of the two.

Aug 5, 2015

It does. The 7870K is faster, and therefore succeeds it. Sort of like the i7-4770K being replaced by the Haswell Refresh i7-4790K.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Note: the A10-7860K does not have an Excavator core. It wish it did, but it's still Steamroller-based.

This isn't Carrizo for the desktop. They killed that, and it's still dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.