AMD Releases R700 Instruction Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
It's quite the interesting read but what is written in the article is correct, for the average gamer or consumers, this document either makes no sense to them or they just don't have interest in it.

deltatux

jkeelsnc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Well, finally after umpteen years of secrecy and BS ATI finally documents their hardware so someone in the Linux community can really write some great OPEN SOURCE (not proprietary) drivers for the hardware. More companies need to do this instead of locking the doors and hiding things. How can you trust a company your doing business with if it is all sneaky, hidden, hide everything, and cover up (kind of like the republicans for the last 8 years and Micros&*& for that matter). Companies stop hiding and give us the information so that we don't have to rely on Microsoft forever.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]... or they just don't have interest in it.deltatux[/citation]
They would had interest if it was clear that is key document needed to provide open source driver for Linux and other OSes that support OpenGL and full 3D hardware acceleration. So in the next one to two years we could start seeing very good games for other platforms like Linux, FreeBSD, etc.

I suppose they are preparing developers to begin maximizing games for the 790. Probably would have been better if they released it a little earlier though ^_^. It's interesting that the RV730 (4670/4650) supports that burst read instruction. It will certainly help with the open source driver effort. I'd like to think it would help Linux programmers, but seeing as the main API available to them is Open GL 3, I'm not too sure. Open GL is just falling behind due to politics and some stubborn CAD developers in comparison to DirectX. Sad but true.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
LOL, you're a complete noob.
I game in linux every day and havn't had a need for your MS junk for years.
your 2% number is a complete joke(based off obscure W3Counter.com numbers with a giant MS advertisement leading to it) as it don't account for the fact that the vast majority of webservers and mailservers are linux . Not to mention the enormous server/workstation base that MS don't tell you about in that FUD magazine that's rotted your brain.

The simple fact of the matter is Linux gains market share every year, while MS loses market share every year.

Judging from your complete ignorance with these things I doubt you could build your way out of a lego box let alone a pc.

Have fun with your ignorance.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Norbs if you represent the few mindless linux supporters thani feel nothing but pitty for you. If Linux was anything in thisworld it would of bared some fruit by now. Instead it has shrunkto lower levels and will continue until nothing is left. You canfantasy all you want but it won't save Linux from its certain Death.[/citation]

Actually if you knew how many things out there ran linux in the background and that would not exist without linux u would probably not be talking so much.

I use windows xp for my gaming machine, windows vista ultimate for my media center, and mac OSx (somewhat based on Unix) for my laptop hackintosh (it works thanks to it's linux based bootloader). I also work also for a hospital where 99% of our computers and servers are windows based. Sure MS has a huge share of computer, but maybe i;m a bit more well rounded and understand the benefits of every OS.

My router is running DD-wrt (with VPN =] )which is linux based and it has some great features. Some Nas drives use linux. It's time to get your head out of your ass and stop hating things because you don't understand them. All OS's have their place... Go be a die hard fan of one thing it works out well for the company i really don't care...

Maybe when you can afford more then your one computer that your play video games on and use for fighting on the internet you'll understand. In the mean time go sport your MS stuff. MS FOR LYFE!1!1!!!

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
lol well done to soul_keeper - i use Linux for my media center because windows was just too much of a resource whore!
however for normal gaming etc i still look to windows.

hakesterman - dogs have been in space. +1 to Soul_Keeper.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]fudgeboy[/nom]lol well done to soul_keeper - i use Linux for my media center because windows was just too much of a resource whore!however for normal gaming etc i still look to windows.hakesterman - dogs have been in space. +1 to Soul_Keeper.[/citation]

Hey fudge what distro do you use for your linux media center? I tried a couple and they were not impressive but it's been a while. I still want the eye candy that vista has with the menu transition.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]fudgeboy[/nom]i use XBMC (xbox media center) - get XBMC Live, it says install to USB but you can install straight to HDD[/citation]

Thanks i'll check it out.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Great job soul_keeper. Hakesterman - look back at all of your comments and you will see all of them are rated down, now you might want to rethink yourself.

Oh and I agree with Norbs: all operating systems do have their uses.

I have licenses for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows XP, yet I still prefer Linux because it just works for me. It is so simple to install programs, it is quick to boot, it is configured completely without bloat to my liking. Not to mention, I can run many Windows programs with Wine as well as run free, open source, programs which are very similar for Linux.

But anyways, make that +2 for soul_keeper.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Hey fudge what distro do you use for your linux media center? I tried a couple and they were not impressive but it's been a while. I still want the eye candy that vista has with the menu transition.[/citation]
Hi norbs,
You can also try Boxee + Ubuntu 8.10. I run it on low grade silent PC and the interface it with simple IR remote. I almost do not use my wireless keyboard and mouse. Also I don't have HDD in my HTPC. I run Ubuntu from USB flash drive and all recordings are stored on my NAS + MythTV backend server + SiliconDust HDhomeRun network dual tuner.
Good luck.

davethetech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]It's highly unlikely you will ever see one serious Videogame written for a Linux operating system. you are talkingabout less than 2 percent of all PC's have it, What game developerdo you know that is going to waist their time with a operating systemthat barely survives? I can't think of any. Linux is only for dieHard Microsoft Haters, and you could fit most of those people inthe palm of your hand.[/citation]

Wow, you really got some learning to do man, i'm sorry, but you've completely wronged a right.
Yea, not too many people have it, but I am a LINUX AND WINDOWS user. And btw, have you ever heard of using WINE? or Any other program via linux that runs windows applications??? Yea, not so shabby are they? I understand your point of view, but do some research and understand WHY people use linux before you go shouting that nobody uses it for GAMING PURPOSES. Actually, I find it fascinating how linux can outperform windows in everything including running windows within linux.... that MIGHT be the reason why a driver would be needed as well.... possibly to do some 3D rendering as well? Possibly programming? So many thoughts, too much typing... good convo starter though man gotta give you that!

davethetech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Hey fudge what distro do you use for your linux media center? I tried a couple and they were not impressive but it's been a while. I still want the eye candy that vista has with the menu transition.[/citation]

i'm thinking about gettin back into linux as well as fixin up this emachien to run it as a media center too... i just need to quick refresh on language and commands...other than that anything else such as unpacking / installing drivers would be of great help too... message me if anyone would like to help :)

davethetech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]my_name_is_earl[/nom]lol people! This is about ATI new card where is this thing going?[/citation]

the penguin is at it again LOL!!!
linux community tore a player hater ;)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Linux is only for dieHard Microsoft Haters[/citation]
I'm currently tri-booting Ubuntu Studio 8.10, Windows XP, and Windows 7. I've defended Vista in many arguments, and I abhor ignorant Windows bashing. I'm pretty excited about Windows 7, even though I'll still being using Ubuntu Studio 70% of the time (I only use Windows for Gaming, testing code, and a few apps that don't have linux equivalents).

raden_muaz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Every OS has its use. I use three of them. Windows for game, Mac OS X for software dev and Linux.. to fill those other gaps and just for fun.

"Put fun back into computing. Use Linux & BSD" - distrowatch.com

If you hate MS so much
wait till ms bankrupt and linux community can get hands dirty on the os and make WINE (linux's windows compatibility layer) 100% Windoze.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Every single one of my machines is dual bootable with linux and I end up spending time in Windows mostly because of Photoshop because I refuse to run it on Wine. Never been much of a gamer and all the games I play are capable of running within Wine just fine though.

I do hope that the release of this architecture will lead to OSS drivers for ATI cards. Sadly this is a very limited subset of ATI cards, I wish they would release info on their old architectures too, many folks running linux do it on ancient hardware because of how well linux manages the resources. AMD said they'll do this more than a year ago, maybe their internet connections are bad because this is a heck of a ping spike hoho.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]jkeelsnc[/nom]...cover up (kind of like the republicans for the last 8 years and Micros&*& for that matter)...[/citation]
jkeelsnc: Thanks for sticking to the subject. Next time can you add some info about your views on Kennedy assasination conspiracy theories and the Loch Ness Monster?

Status
Not open for further replies.