AMD Reveals High-Performance Zen CPU, GPUs With HBM, And FinFET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there goes my bank account (again) :).

Seriously, this is exciting news, if AMD can really pull a rabbit out of their hat again and give Intel a run for the crown, that would be very exciting!! Their last few cpu/apu series were a bit disappointing performance-wise, so hopefully 'ZEN' will be able to deliver as promised.

MyDocuments

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Looks interesting, and with the new FX line using DDR4 then I guess we're in for a new MoBo chipset...
Message to all Motherboard manufacturers, don't forget to produce some smaller Form-Factor motherboards this time around; uATX and ITX (as well as the standard ATX) for these new processors. Thank you.

3ogdy

Distinguished
I'm all excited but...a 40% performance increase isn't that much, is it, people?
I mean...that's 40% better performing than...FX-8150...which would translate into 25% higher performance than the FX-8350.

How wrong am I?

edwd2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
waiting for benchmarks, bulldozer destroyed 2600K on the PPT slides back then. im excited and really hope this is true though.

G

When this comes out (Zen cpu), I'll wait two months, read all the benchmark, and if it actually holds it's own against Intel on a price/performance, they will get my money. And if they don't, I'll go with Intel.

Sorry AMD, after you burned me as a day 1 FX-8150 buyer, you'll have to demonstrate value this time around.

I really hope they have something here. The last few releases have been anti-climactic where competition is concerned. I would definitely consider getting an AMD processor if they can live up to the hype. If they can compare to something like a 4770, 4790k, or 5820 at a good AMD price, I'd consider it.

dgingeri

Distinguished
40% when AMD can't do in 4 cores what Intel's CPU do with 2, or AMD with 8 cores can't do what Intel does with 4. (A10-7850k vs Core i3-4340, FX-8350 vs Core i5 4670k) It's not that big of a leap. I hope they have some other significant shortcuts to improve performance.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
From the results I have seen, at the same clock speed on SINGLE threaded benchmarks, haswell is ~60% better than the 8xxx series. If this 40% holds up, AMD will seriously close that gap, and create some SERIOUS competition with multithreaded tasks which is currently their strong point. I can't wait to see how their lineup unfolds.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
I thought they had new gpus coming out in 2015 with stacked memory?

I really hope they deliver on zen. They did before with the athlon series, and the competition that came out of it was great. If they can do the same thing again, it will be great.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Following the diagram to its word, it appears it would be a 40% increase over excavator (excavator hasn't been released yet and will be next year and is 3 revisions above the 8150 . It is the successor to kaveri which was a successor to Vishera FX-8350). So it'll be roughly 45-50% faster than bulldozer in IPC.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
40% when AMD can't do in 4 cores what Intel's CPU do with 2, or AMD with 8 cores can't do what Intel does with 4. (A10-7850k vs Core i3-4340, FX-8350 vs Core i5 4670k) It's not that big of a leap. I hope they have some other significant shortcuts to improve performance.

Honestly I'm not expecting AMD to dominate Intel any time soon. No, what i see Zen doing is simply bringing serious competition.

So it should be like the early Phenom II vs Core2Quad days which were totally fine imo. Sure Intel was technically ahead on the ultra-high end, but that wasn't by much.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Just a note, guys...the "40%" increase on the chart is the increase from Carrizo to "Zen". Carrizo is the Excavator chip, which is coming out this year, so the 40% is on top of the improvement between Bulldozer & Excavator. So, the FX-81xx series was "Bulldozer", the FX-83xx series were "Piledriver", & there were never FX-series chips under "Steamroller" or "Excavator", making it slightly hard to make comparisons. But the Steamroller APUs (Kaveris) had, what, a 5-10% increase in performance over the Piledriver (Richland) APUs? Assuming Excavator/Carrizo APUs get a similar 5-10% improvement, that could be extrapolated to a potential increase of anywhere from 55% (low-end) to 70% (high-end) going from a Piledriver FX to a Zen FX.

Does that potentially put them behind in performance compared to Intel? Don't know, depends on whether Intel has said what kind of performance improvement Skylake will bring over Haswell. But even if Skylake brings a 10-20% increase in performance for Intel chips, that still narrows the gap (i.e. if Haswell has 60% better performance than a Piledriver FX, Skylake would be 75-90% better, dropping the gap significantly).

But, this is all just speculation until we can get some actual benchmarks.

EDIT: fixed that BB code...

there is a strong possibility that the exc cores in carrizo is an upgrade over the mobile-oriented steamroller B cores in kaveri, not whatever the original SR was supposed to be.
desktop zen is basically claiming significant upgrade over a laptop-friendly uarch.

Marius Cirsta

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Hopefully it's just a coincidence that Mr. "Papermaster" made the announcement but knowing AMD it ( unfortunately ) might just not.

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
This is exciting! If AMD really pulls through this time, the desktop CPU could really have some big improvements over the next few years as Intel will have to seriously improve in order to stay ahead.

teiva

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
i love competition and really hope AMD succeed with these chips. Having said that I'm quite happy with my 8350 gaming rig (especially with Mantle games). Bring on the new tech and DirectX 12.

Looks interesting, and with the new FX line using DDR4 then I guess we're in for a new MoBo chipset...
Message to all Motherboard manufacturers, don't forget to produce some smaller Form-Factor motherboards this time around; uATX and ITX (as well as the standard ATX) for these new processors. Thank you.

What is interesting is I was saying that DDR4 would come with AM4 a long time ago. Of course it is still a bit of time till it does but it is what makes sense with AMDs nomenclature.

Funny though is that now AMD is following Intel with SMT and higher bandwidth cache.

I guess we can only hope that the IPC is good and that whatever process tech they are using (it could be Samsung as they are the only other company with FinFETs right now other than Intel) is efficient and doesn't have any leakage problems. If it is Samsungs FinFET then we wont know for sure as all we have seen it on is their S6 CPU which is a different beast from what AMDs Zen core should be.

I just hope they are competitive again. Intel was on such a stride when they had AMD nipping them in the butt and I wouldn't mind seeing that again as we benefit more than anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.