AMD Reviving FX Brand For High-End Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Blah blah blah...all I've heard from AMD for a over a year is talk. They keeps flapping their gums while intel leaves AMD further and further behind.[/citation]
Sure, but reading this gives me one hell of a hard-on!
Seriously, 8 cores? Yes I know this is old news, but still, the way it's written... clever bastards.

G

The FX branding leaked awhile ago nothing new here. Which is a shame because they should be showing actual performance data and a release date already.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
AMD's last FX line died-out when it couldn't compete with Core2. I hope this means AMD's internal testing is going better than everyone expects, and that Zambezi (are we talking bulldozer here, I lost track) is a real contender. If AMD expects people to pay FX prices for Core-i5 performance, they're sorely mistaken.

And don't get me wrong, I'm AMD through and through, and I'm waiting for their next gen product to come out to update my computer. I just don't want to find out I'd have to pay $900 for an unlocked processor that barely out-performs a mid-tier Intel.

[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]AMD's last FX line died-out when it couldn't compete with Core2. I hope this means AMD's internal testing is going better than everyone expects, and that Zambezi (are we talking bulldozer here, I lost track) is a real contender. If AMD expects people to pay FX prices for Core-i5 performance, they're sorely mistaken.And don't get me wrong, I'm AMD through and through, and I'm waiting for their next gen product to come out to update my computer. I just don't want to find out I'd have to pay $900 for an unlocked processor that barely out-performs a mid-tier Intel.[/citation]

Zambezi is the CPU only part of Bulldozer, so yes its the same. From the pricing it looks like it will compete with Sandy Bridge. They priced the top of the line one at about $350.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Intel's tri-gate transistor on 22nm is going to kill AMD. Not that I have a problem with AMD, they make decent enough products for their cost. I just don't see how they are going to be able to compete with Ivy Bridge when it comes out.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
It's a never ending cycle with Intel and AMD. Intel is the much bigger company so they will usually have the lead. Then when Intel gets fat and lazy AMD will suddenly drop an innovation bomb that will kick Intel in the seat of the pants and get them going again.

You can thank AMD for Sandy/Ivy Bridge in a way because without AMD, Intel would still be sitting around doing not all that much and enjoying its monopoly. I intend to buy an AMD FX CPU on day one regardless just to support AMD. Not because I'm a fanboi (I have no problem with Intel CPUs) but because I want to see the ongoing increase in CPU tech and innovation driven by the rivalry.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]jasonakkerman[/nom]Intel's tri-gate transistor on 22nm is going to kill AMD. Not that I have a problem with AMD, they make decent enough products for their cost. I just don't see how they are going to be able to compete with Ivy Bridge when it comes out.[/citation]
Intel is putting a marketing "spin" on this to make potential customers think they have something new and better. It is really just a PR effort to increase sales. Investigate it. Others, including AMD, also have this technology already.

Like others, though, I want a real part, not talk and hype. All this talk and hype without real parts is, IMHO, likely hurting AMD, not helping.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree ikefu. Not to mention just because amd has been sitting back seat doesn't mean they can't just come out with something that takes the lead.

I'm also not a fanboi of either I will buy w/e fits my needs and fits my budget.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Intel is putting a marketing "spin" on this to make potential customers think they have something new and better. It is really just a PR effort to increase sales. Investigate it. Others, including AMD, also have this technology already.[/citation]

I'm not saying that I believe the exact numbers that that Intel is putting about about their new transistor, but even if they can get half the expected performance gains and power saving it will still be a huge leap.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but every search I do about this technology returns results from big name periodical producers ranging from "ground breaking" to "world changing", and they all talk about how Intel invented the technology. Please share with me this information you have about the technology already existing and how other already have it.

http://eda360insider.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/3d-thursday-intel-and-finfets-tri-gate-transistors%E2%80%94a-different-kind-of-3d/

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Offing superior value products in the largest market segments, and a competing product in the enthusiast segment should do alot for AMD's sales. Now if AMD can convince average joe consumer that their product is superior for average joe's needs to Intel's for the same or less $'s(which it is), then they could change the computing game. They have a low end APU(C/E chips) that eats Atom in both performance and power. If their mid range APU(Llano) can compete with current gen I3's then they will be a force to be reckoned with. The high end enthusiast market is just for bragging rights, with today's CPU power who cares?

I'm still waiting for 4-core support from a majority of programs/games out there. Even relatively new games have bugs that require disabling multicore functionality just to run right. Seen it in support forums all the time.
8 cores? Sounds sexy, but for now impractical.

verbalizer

Distinguished
me specifically am looking forward to the 990FX with SLI.
that's what I want.
I like Intel but most of my units are AMD; I am a nVidia guy more than I am Radeon. So when the 990FX SLI was announced to me it's not about Bulldozer.
that's just an added bonus if indeed it is a heavy performer.

G

JasonAkkerman: This is less of a "revolution" than HiK Metal Gates were, and Hi K Metal Gates weren't that much better than AMD's 45nm SOI.

Your perceptions are the 800 lb gorilla in the room: All of these "trusted journalists" delivering these "profound predictions" to you are just as bought-and-paid-for as the OEMs are. Intel has so much dirty laundry that the FTC doesn't have time to go through it all.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
And where is the product ? If you talk about names where are the products carrying such name. By now it is a " FX " Name for a non yet ghost public product.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not satisfied with the 990FX chipset. I was hoping that the AMD 9-series motherboards would've also included PCI Express 3.0 and at least Hypertransport 3.1 - AMD doesn't even mention USB 3.0 for christ's sakes.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/9-series-integrated/Pages/amd-990fx-chipset.aspx

How long am I going to have to wait for a real upgrade, the 990FX is just an 890+? What will come after the 990 - AMD 10-series? That's what I'll be holding out for.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]8 cores? Sounds sexy, but for now impractical.[/citation]
Whether its running Folding@Home or playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with Fraps or Xfire broadcasting you can definitely use 8 cores. BFBC2 uses up to 6 cores already and if you want to add frapsing or broadcasting with Xfire then having more cores is definitely a must.

On top of that BF3 beta will be around when the chip comes out with the release following 1-2 months after. If Bulldozer delivers on promises then I would really recommend AMD over Intel for BF3.

Status
Not open for further replies.