AMD Rising: CPU And GPU Market Share Growing Rapidly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Everyone saying the jump from an i5 to a Ryzen 7 was great, I went from an FX-8120 to an i3-6100, and while single-thread performance is very good on the Intel (compiling code in Unity, FPS in some games), the systems hangs and gags all the time. Even slower, the FX was butter smooth for overall use (Chrome loved it).

Intel locked us on low core CPUs for way too long. It's architecture may even not be that good, but we never had a really competitive CPU to benchmark against. We do now. And, at least me, will go Ryzen on my next purchase.

Giroro

Splendid
"...although the Vega graphics architecture isn't the performance leader in the desktop space, it has helped AMD improve key metrics such as average selling price (ASP)"

Something about the messaging around this GPU shortage is rubbing me the wrong way - And not just the thought that AMD might believe the reason GPU prices have doubled is because Vega is, just, so good you guys. The Crypto rush should fall off soon since profitability is steadily dropping. AMD is going to get a cold reality check that there isn't much market for under-performing (at least for the retail cost) and relatively inefficient GPUs. Clearly AMD doesn't want that, which leads me to my real point:

"AMD's growth came during a 4.6% sequential decline in the graphics card market, which JPR attributed to the "sharp rise in prices driven by cryptocurrency miner’s demand.”

This is a disturbing statement. If we assume that the market has declined despite the fact that essentially every GPU produced is being sold, then if follows that nvidia/AMD have actually CUT production as demand increased. Are AMD and nvidia doing this to fix prices? Or is the current DRAM shortage/price fixing problem really that bad? Which it might be ... some of the companies currently making DRAM have been found guilty of price fixing multiple times. The whole PC industry has been filthy with price-fixing for a very long time so it wouldn't surprise me.
Either way, I think it warrants an investigation.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
AMD is also selling the Vega GPU setup from the Intel G series separately, so there is market potential there also. She is holding that assembly in the lead pic,

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
folks also tend t forget that amd has maintained over the last couple years that they are not targeting the top end of the market. the vast majority of the market is well below the $1000 priced card.

lacking something that beats the 1080ti was never on their agenda. they hit their target very well and once again hit the nail on the head for mid range and lower gpu's. never seen a breakdown but how many 1080ti user are there compared to 580 users? i'm willing to bet that amd did their homework very well and sells a large quantity more 580's than nvidia sells 1080ti cards. the cheaper cards are priced better than nvidia's equivalent as well. or at least were before the prices went stupid for all cards.

amd did exactly what they said they were gonna do exactly how they said they would. folks do love to forget this little piece of info when regards to the top end of the market.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
anyone who says that no one is using a 1080ti on 1080p is wrong look at shroud and summit1g they are both using that card on 1080p at 240hz lol oh and summit1g is doing sli waterhawks 1080ti on 1080p so ya know

jpe1701

Honorable

I don't think anyone was saying that no one uses one, just embellishing that the vast majority of 1080p gamers have gtx 1060 rx 580 level cards. I personally use a 1070 for 1080p but that's just because I was excited about Pascal and didn't want to wait.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
As an AMD fanboy, I'm not impressed. The first gen Ryzen's are poor value as it doesn't include integrated graphics which can be useful and Intel has graphics in competing CPUs. Raven Ridge fixed this. We must not forget that Intel is delayed in years for their 10nm products and the semicon industry are close to match chipzilla. In my opinion, Intel intentionally delayed the technology as there is little benefit for them while allowing AMD to become a bit healthy.

AMD is lucky with again with memory on their GPU products. I still recall AMD pioneered the memory controller feature in their CPUs which easily improved CPU performance because they're behind Intel. The same thing happened with GPUs. AMD's better memory hardware in the RX 470/570/480/580 but inferior GPU has turned ito into a price efficient GPU miner for memory intensive algorithm such as ethash/ethereum.
The cheapest Nvidia GPU with memory that can be found in RX 470/570 is the GTX 1070 and we know it is an awesome gaming card with a price to match making the AMD cards cheaper for mining ethereum

I don't know what you were using for motherboard, but I had no problem over stability with my MSI X370 Carbon. MSI boards are bang on with Ryzen. Memory speed was an issue until AMD came up with new AGESA updates, but the latest patch for my motherboard is finally the BIOS providing 3200 MHz + speeds.

As of me, I am at 4k @ 60 FPS, so going Intel was stupid when Ryzen was released. I was getting the same gaming experience without the multi-thread performances by going Kaby Lake.

Even there, all my crashes was coming from my EVGA 1080 FTW that I ditched after it dying for a second time in less than a year.

However, my impression is that you were OC more than you should and you forgot to take into notice it was a new chipset and a new architecture, so of course stuff was to happen. When you think about meltdown to, I am just glad of my choice. If Zen 2 is interesting and I can upgrade with the same motherboard, I probably will.

My only issue right now is the lack of IGPU.

The majority of high end GPU users are not gaming on a 200$ monitor. Just look at the G-sync and freesync monitors, the majority of their resolution is not 1080p, it is something else bigger.

Playing at 1080p with a 1080 TI is a waste. Just get a 1070. My 1080p system is right now looking for a RX 580. No way in hell I will use my TI on this.

darkwanderer117

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017

I tried two different asus boards and one asrock board. I do OC but nothing crazy. I had my ram at 3200. The system just wouldn't stay stable. Random blue screens under load and even some times while gaming. I couldn't afford to lose any more work/time playing with Ryzen. I am sure further bios updates smoothed out the sailing and maybe an MSI board would have done the the trick. I am also positive the next round of AMD motherboards will have a much wider selection of models with the success Ryzen is having. I still think the lack of top end models hurt them for this launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.