AMD Rising: CPU And GPU Market Share Growing Rapidly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure my next system will be an AMD one. Currently I'm still on a i5 760, but am looking forward to replacing it with a Zen+ sometime this year. That said, single thread performance is is still a key user experience metric (unfortunately many apps still aren't multithreaded) and AMD hasn't really been able to match Intel there. Hopefully AMD have addressed this one issue I have and will increase boost clocks to more closely match Intel's with Zen+. Have to wait and see.

jpe1701

Honorable

I can't wait to see what they have come up with but if you're coming from an i5 760 it will be great. I have started using my 1700x pc as my main computer because it can handle so much more going at once than my 6700k and things don't feel any slower so they're not too far behind already.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
@Nitrium: The small difference in AMD vs Intel in single-threaded today is immaterial next to the huge difference we'd have with AMD out of the market. Somehow they rallied and gave us a leading-edge product in Ryzen. That forced Intel to finally produce some of what they could have done years ago, with overnight announcements of more lakes than Wisconsin. Who do you want to reward with your purchase? If the AMD product is even competitive (which it certainly is!), go with them.

AMD needs and deserves our support. They may not be able to come back from the brink again. Just consider that, and the decision is easy.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015

IPC wise, current gen ryzen is comparable to broadwell (intel i5/7 5xxx series) so they're not too far off. Ryzen+ will pluck the low hanging fruit and increase clock speeds but yes, we have to wait till April to find out just how much further they go. Last summer I went from an i5 3570k to a Ryzen 7 1700 and overall the platform feels much smoother so I'm happy with my purchase.

Its great to see amd getting off of life support and I really look forward to an Athlon 64 like golden age again

I'm 100% value based consumer; bang for the buck is the only thing I care about. Zero brand loyalty - after all, we don't work for them! This is why I switched to AMD for my GPU needs to an HD7950, because nVidia priced its competing GTX 770 at a significantly higher price (and with a 1GB less memory!) - that has since been replaced with an R9 390 with the same rationale (the competing GTX 970 with its paltry 3.5 GB vs 8GB on an R9 390 for the same price). Ryzen has definitely made AMD extremely compelling in the CPU space. Unless Intel drastically reduces it's prices, or the upcoming i5 8650K is something special, it'll likely be an AMD system for me.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Might have been a misunderstanding here. I edited the article and added the direct Su quote from the Seeking Alpha transcript.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

amen to that. not a single brand is loyal to me and takes advantage whenever they get a chance. an extra 10% ipc is not worth an extra 30% in price at all. bang for the buck is the only way to go. 90% of the performance for 70% the cost is a no-brainer no matter how you try to rationalize it.

ngaio

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Sorry, the downvote from me was by mistake. I wanted to expand what you'd written by clicking the down arrow and instead downvoted. Wish there was a way to undo it.

I didn't mention IPC at all. In fact I specifically referred to AMD's lower turbo boost numbers as the key reason for my slight reluctance to go AMD (e.g. AMD's 4.0 GHz boost on a 1600X/3.8 GHz on 1700X/4.0 GHz on 1800X vs Intel's 4.3 GHz on an 8600K/4.7GHz on an 8700K).

jpe1701

Honorable

No problem. Lol. I've done it myself before.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Unless you need to play games at ultra-high frame rates (more than 60 fps), Ryzen gets the job done. I have a 60 Hz monitor, and switched from an Intel 3770K to a Ryzen 1700x, and I'm really glad I did. I enjoy solid 60 fps gaming, and work tasks have doubled in performance, as expected. Multi-threaded performance is king for most PC tasks. Single-threaded performance is far more important for phones, which need to boost to finish specific tasks quickly, and then go back to power-saving mode in order to improve battery life.

DbD2

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
If you look at the steam survey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/) AMD gpu usage has fallen off a cliff. Looks like everyone is selling their gpu's to miners, and every new gpu is being bought by miners.

*edit* I take that back, it's when they started to include China, obviously no one in China is using AMD.

AMD does gaming great. The only scenario where it doesn't fare well is in games at 1080p... with a 1080 TI. I am telling you right now, nobody is doing that. A 1080 TI is made for 2160p 60Hz or 1440p 144Hz. This stupid benchmark should have been never used, however it is spread like the good word of Jesus Christ.

Ryzen with a GTX 1060 or an RX 580 VS an Intel... doesn't change anything. This is because the CPU become the bottleneck, which is only happening with tremendous GPU capabilities at the lowest resolution. The CPU is not a factor in the higher resolution and will only become worst with 8K coming around.

After what I heard about Intel and their practices over the years, I will not buy anything from them. Specter and Meltdown is another example of performance over security flaws. Intel CEO is involved into an insider trading event... and we are just saying it is okay?

If I can encourage AMD somehow with my purchases in some occasion with my choices, I will. I am not a fan of Vega 10, however that thing is really a mining card and AMD told us on the get go...

While they are gaining market there is a problem heading AMD's way. Memory prices both RAM and video memory have nearly doubled in price. This in part is due to high SDD capacitys. If Ryzen+ coming this spring were to have a DDR3 controller or hard drive makers were to cut prices is the only chance AMD has for another great year.

Mar 1, 2018
Made money twice last year on risky short term trading on AMD stock. AMD reminds me of Robert E. Lee and the Confederacy....brilliant leadership and courage, in the face of an overwhelming enemy that has limitless resources and a President in the White House who is insisting on American primacy and dominance. " Gettysburg" has not been fought yet. AMD's small incursions into Intel/ NVidia " territory" are like the Confederate cavalry raids of Jeb Stuart, Mosby, Morgan, and Forrest. The " main event" is yet to come, where a " one-two punch" can knock AMD to the canvas. A bust in crypto mining would hurt AMD far more than Intel/NVidia. That coupled with a simultaneous release of superior performing products to AMD's could send Lisa Su and company back to the stone age.

theyeti87

Honorable

Up until October 2017, I had been holding on to my i7-950 system since it was built in 2010. I had been eagerly waiting the release of Ryzen and made the switch to a Ryzen 7 1700 system. I have never built with AMD for myself, until Ryzen. They certainly deserve my dollar more than Intel.

I want AMD to remain competitive for the long-run, as we all should.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Sometimes typos and grammatical errors slip through the cracks in the rush to get the news delivered to you as quickly as possible. I've let our editors know. Thanks for the feedback!

Mining is just the cherry on the cake, it is nothing really for AMD in comparison to machine learning, AI, LTE on chip, IGP, IOT, consoles, server and scientific sector.

Yeah, they are selling their cards like crazy, but it is nothing compared what is to come. There is a reason why the stock just keep fighting back all the time.

darkwanderer117

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017

I have two 1080 TI in SLI only pushing a 1080p monitor, but only for FPS games. Gsync and solid 144/fps no dips was the goal. I tried a 1800x with my system the fps difference when gsync was disabled was minimal except in certain ultra high fps games, I am talking 300+ FPS in CSGO. I ran it for nearly 6 months and ditched it for an 8700k. Mainly because the Intel boards were more stable. Three boards in and my 1800x just loved to crash and I didn't have it in me to keep waiting for bios updates. I personally think the big hurdle AMD is going to have to overcome is the bias of the mobo manufactures. They seem to only build budget boards for AMD and even the top end boards they make are lack luster. I can't wait till Zen+ and Zen2. I want the same thrill I had with my Athlon XP 3200+ again. Still to this day I feel it was the best bang for my buck I ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS