[SOLVED] AMD RX6900XT Ultimate randomly restarting PC ?

Brandon.H

Prominent
Apr 2, 2021
Specs:

ASUS ROG-STRIX B550-F,
RYZEN 9 5900x,
32GB CORSAIR RGB Pro 3600,
kraken x73,
AMD RX 6900XT ULTIMATE Red Devil.
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 1000 PSU

simply put, when running certain games my PC randomly restarts. While I can play other games for 48 hours without issue. Ive been doing a lot of reading and many others are having the same issue. Has anyone found a solution? Ive managed to fix how it functions while playing Rainbow 6 and this was by enabling VSync. PC stopped resetting after enabling. Ive tried limiting the FPS via the Radeon software, but it doesn’t seem to limit the FPS. I spent $1700 on this card and am at my wits end with it. I can put my 1080 Strix in and everything runs fantastic. All advice accepted. Ive done full clean installs of windows/drivers.

Last edited:
Solution
I don’t know that it’s faulty. I can put my 1080 Strix back in and have 0 issues. I think the difference is your 6900xt only calls for a 650 PSU. I’ve got the 6900xt red devil which calls for almost 900w on its own. I believe that when everything is running hard my PSU just can’t supply the power. I mean I know it’s close but meh. Once I get a new PSU or if anyone has any other ideas I will be updating the thread.
The minimum PSU recommendation for my 6900 XT is 850W., not 650W. Your RD Ultimate calls for a 900W. So there's only a 50W difference. You've got the higher-binned XTHX core on yours. (y)

Your GPU is probably peaking at just over 400W. Let's give another 150W to GPU transient power spikes. So now we're at 550W...
Where did you purchase the card from?
Let's try testing just the CPU, memory, and GPU separately.

For CPU, please run Prime95 (blended test with all AVX off). How is it after 15-20 mins?
For RAM, boot from a Memtest86 USB and let it go through one full pass.
For GPU, run Furmark for 15mins.

Brandon.H

Prominent
Apr 2, 2021

For CPU, please run Prime95 (blended test with all AVX off). How is it after 15-20 mins?
I’ve done stress testing but not using the software you’ve recommended. When I get off work I’ll stress test again using your recommended software.

Brandon.H

Prominent
Apr 2, 2021

I purchased the card from Amazon Direct.

CPU tested With and without AVX. CPU got up to 80 as highest, 150w, @ 4.5GHz. Odd part is the radiator felt cold the entire time. (Potential pump issue?)
RAM tested fine.
Tortured using FurMark in 4k @ 25 minutes. GPU stayed around 76 degrees, fans at 89% Chip pulling 349w. average 102FPS.

Last edited:
Each of those tests, separately, puts more stress on its perspective component than anything games can do.
Any way you can get your hands on a good quality (high wattage) PSU to test? I'd hate to think that your supernova G2 is at fault but it's a possibility.

Also, go through windows event viewer to see if there's any OS issues being reported. (ignore DistributedCOM errors if you see any for now - this is legacy laziness on Microsoft's part from years ago)

Brandon.H

Prominent
Apr 2, 2021
I haven’t seen anything in event viewer. Between my own thoughts, your opinion and the lovely people over at Powercolor who produced the card, I myself am believing I need a larger PSU. It’s insane to think 1000w couldn’t handle a single GPU setup but maybe it can’t. I’m currently looking into a larger PSU, if you’ve got any recommendations that would be great.

If it is the PSU it's not a wattage power limit issue. It would be a faulty PSU. I'm running an overclocked i9-9900k and RX 6900 XT. Performance is great (see sig) and I'm doing it with a good quality 750W PSU.
Although, it's mainly the RTX 3090/3080 cards that have the transient spikes causing issues with good PSUs, I have heard of the 6900 XT suffering this issue as well.

Do you have a wall readout of peak wattage usage?

Brandon.H

Prominent
Apr 2, 2021
If it is the PSU it's not a wattage power limit issue. It would be a faulty PSU. I'm running an overclocked i9-9900k and RX 6900 XT. Performance is great (see sig) and I'm doing it with a good quality 750W PSU.
Although, it's mainly the RTX 3090/3080 cards that have the transient spikes causing issues with good PSUs, I have heard of the 6900 XT suffering this issue as well.

Do you have a wall readout of peak wattage usage?
I don’t know that it’s faulty. I can put my 1080 Strix back in and have 0 issues. I think the difference is your 6900xt only calls for a 650 PSU. I’ve got the 6900xt red devil which calls for almost 900w on its own. I believe that when everything is running hard my PSU just can’t supply the power. I mean I know it’s close but meh. Once I get a new PSU or if anyone has any other ideas I will be updating the thread.

The minimum PSU recommendation for my 6900 XT is 850W., not 650W. Your RD Ultimate calls for a 900W. So there's only a 50W difference. You've got the higher-binned XTHX core on yours. (y)

Your GPU is probably peaking at just over 400W. Let's give another 150W to GPU transient power spikes. So now we're at 550W. The rest of your system won't peak above 300W (especially since we already know your CPU peaks at 150W). So now we're at 850W.

Note that I'm being VERY generous with these numbers - your system is most likely lower. A 1000W PSU should be able to handle this just fine.

The RX 6000 cards from AMD aren't as power hungry as the RTX 3000 cards from NVIDIA. Nor are they as prone to the PSU over-current protection issues from transient power spikes.

Reactions: Brandon.H
Solution