AMD Ryzen 5 1600X CPU Review

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I never said that the code was precise. In fact code is never precise which is why games these days, being as complex as they are, always have room for improvement with patches, updates and driver fixes.

Bulldozer was not a true 8 core CPU either. They used a more advanced version of SMT but still shared some resources. It was actually something that was patched in Windows 7/Vista because the OS was treating it like a real 8 core CPU and loading each core one after the other. After the patch it would load every other core, in essence it would load the first core of a module then the next modules first core and once the first core of every module was loaded it would then start to load the second core. If it loaded it the other way around, doing the first module in the core then the second, there were performance drops due to the shared resources.

Intels version of SMT, Hyperthreading, suffered a similar issue when first launched with the Pentium 4 where some programs saw a performance decrease due to how the OS saw the threads. That was fixed and since its reintroduction in Nehalem SMT has benefitted performance as the OS knows how to

I don't take RoTS as a end all be all for anything because it is a specific game coded a specific way and would not mean anything to other game types. It is interesting to see but it by no means has been anything more than that.

DX12 has nothing to do with consoles. The PS4 uses a custom version of OpenGL and the XB1 uses a custom version of DX. In fact the XB1 already had a lot of the features of DX12 since consoles already work closer to the hardware and they do that because they are consoles with a set hardware a software. The reason DX was even created was to mitigate the vastly increasing number of hardware and software configurations which back before APIs a game crashing could cause a kernel dump.

I do agree that 7 needs to go before we can see the full benefits of DX12 however in that same vein so does Windows 8 as it is still only a DX11 OS.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Look at the 4K resolution from that survey. They are a vast minority, still only .78% of all surveyed Steam systems. VR headsets look like they are in about .24% of systems currently.

Now it is not the end all be all but the majority of gamers do use Steam so it is a pretty good point of data. And VR will go up in the coming years as will 4K. However 4K will only see a burst in adoption when mid ranged GPUs are able to play decently at decent settings and VR will increase when it becomes more cost effective and mid ranged systems can push them.

Bleeding edge does not always mean the majority, in fact mid range is the majority most of the times.

I did forget about the BIO but I still have never seen an insane increase unless that micro code update fixes an existing issue for performance. And any driver can increase performance, even chipset.

The biggest problem with AMD is this gain looks great because it had such a bland CPU to beat. AMD has basically caught up to Intel in terms of performance. I doubt they will have a Nehalem or SB jump. The reason I say this is because Intel has hit a wall and if a company that outspends their rivals by billions a year hits a wall so will AMD. They may be able to optimize but their biggest gains will be when they get a decent process that allows for better clocks than they have on the current 14nm LPP. Anything else will be a vast change in how the CPU works. I honestly do not think we will see a major CPU performance jump for another 2-3 generations from either side and by then I am hoping they are moving to new materials for the CPU itself.

I never said you could play a 2017 game on a single core. Hell you couldn't play Crisis on a single core due to how the game was coded, it basically used the second core for the audio processing.

However, software is always well behind hardware. Crisis was an outlier as it took a few years before dual cores became the bare minimum. And you can still game on a dual core, an i3. Sure it has SMT but SMT is still at best 20% gains in performance.

I know it will eventually happen, eventually we will all be sitting on 8+ cores as normal. Software still will take time to translate those advancements into performance gains.

We have had quad cores for 11 years. Intel released Core 2 Quad in 2006. As said you can game on an i3 which is a dual core with SMT. Maybe in another 2 years a quad core, true not SMT, will be the bare minimum.

Matthew McKellar

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
I'm interested in why so many AutoDesk products were tested for the "Workstation" workload. What I would much prefer is a benchmark consisting of a flow analysis simulation, stress analysis, and geometry recognition and import speed for each major CAD suite. Would be fairly simple to do, you just need to have it canned for Creo, SolidWorks, and Inventor/AutoCad.

Status
Not open for further replies.