Question AMD Ryzen 5 3400GE not capable of 4K@60FPS video?

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Hello,

Not sure this is the right place to ask but why is my Ryzen 5 3400GE not capable of 4k@60 VP9 playback?

The sample in question is this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wo3aJjwTlA

Just to clarify, it is playing the Youtube video on Mozilla Firefox but regardless of browser it is not smooth and I got around 50+ dropped frames for the full video playback (~90% GPU utilization).

The computer is a Lenovo mini-pc with 2x8GB of RAM 2667MHz running in dual-channel mode.

This is strange. Even an ARM-based SoC model S905X3 with a Mali-G31 running the official Youtube app is capable of 4k@60 VP9 playback without issues, I have one and tested it myself.

What's going on?

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
It's a Lenovo mini-pc.

Specs are AMD Ryzen 5 3400GE with a 2.5" 7200RPM HDD, though the hard disk should not affect it. RAM usage is around 3GB out of 13.7GB total (2x8GB with 2GB shared video onboard). Could not get the GPU temps, but CPU is @70C tops during playback. The GPU is being utilized for video decoding.

Could it be the memory timings? It's CL20 @1T (DDR4L-2667MHz), but is running in dual-channel mode so I don't think it should be a problem even for 4k60 VP9 hardware decoding.

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Okay. Upon fiddling with Mozilla Firefox settings (about:config), I managed to alleviate some of the slowdown symptoms of the 4k@60 VP9 video playback.

So apparently it turns out to be browser settings. On Mozilla Firefox, I type "about:config" in the address bar and search for "layers" string. I basically enabled everything related to layer settings, so I am not sure which layer settings is the correct one. Does anybody here have a clue?

I found it funny cause just recently I bought a second 8 gig stick to run this mini-pc in dual-channel and thought 4k@60 was no problem, and apparently it isn't. Only now have I tried it again with a different browser on Windows 10, the Edge browser and it works flawlessly. I hadn't tried before cause Edge browser wasn't functional when the machine was running in single-channel mode (black screen when I tried to play Youtube videos).

Any ideas why?

TRENDING THREADS