[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5 3600X never going over its stock 3.8GHz speed

KingSlayer69

Honorable
Feb 8, 2016
Hey guys,so I was never really interested in what my cpu is boosting to(since it works just fine for everything I do),but recently I started watching it(both HWInfo and HWMonitor) and the damn thing never goes over 3717MHz.I know the advertised boost is 4.4GHz on a single core,but mine never actually boosts a single MHz over its base speed.I have a AORUS B450M mobo and I tried with both XMP on and off and PBO on auto and enabled.Is there anything I'm missing or is there something wrong with the CPU?Have to mention a friend of mine has an ASUS B450M mobo with a 3600 and his boosts just fine to almost 4.2GHz on all cores.It's well within warranty so I'd like to return it if its faulty.Thanks!

Solution
Hey guys,so I was never really interested in what my cpu is boosting to(since it works just fine for everything I do),but recently I started watching it(both HWInfo and HWMonitor) and the damn thing never goes over 3717MHz.I know the advertised boost is 4.4GHz on a single core,but mine never actually boosts a single MHz over its base speed.I have a AORUS B450M mobo and I tried with both XMP on and off and PBO on auto and enabled.Is there anything I'm missing or is there something wrong with the CPU?Have to mention a friend of mine has an ASUS B450M mobo with a 3600 and his boosts just fine to almost 4.2GHz on all cores.It's well within warranty so I'd like to return it if its faulty.Thanks!
Have you ever reset CMOS? If not, do...
Have you ever reset CMOS? If not, do so.

Also, install the latest chipset drivers and get them only from the AMD support web site to ensure they actually are the latest.

Once you have reset CMOS and installed chipset drivers, find the following settings in BIOS and enable them: CPPC, CPPC Preferred Cores, and Global C-States.

I'd also enable XMP so it sets up your memory for optimal operation.

Once that's set up, the way to see boosting best is in light, bursty workloads. I use a virus scan to do it. Also use HWInfo64 to monitor clocks...and set it up as shown here:

Last edited:
Solution

KingSlayer69

Honorable
Feb 8, 2016
Ok update:cleared the CMOS by using the jumpers for CLR_CMOS that the mobo has,after i reset everything to default optimized profile in bios just like the aorus manual says,i enabled the 3 things you mentioned and now the cpu is boosting nicely to 4.4 on all cores.I will update the chipset drivers just to be sure,thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler