Question AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - CPU voltage and frequency fluctuates on idle

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Hi all,

I have build a whole new PC couple of days ago. Everything fresh and new and out of the box. Nothing OCed.

Motherboard: AOURS B450 Elite v2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Kingston Fury Beast
PSU: MWE CoolerMaster 700W
SSD : 480GB Kingston
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660

I have a problem where I noticed via AIDA64 and CPU-Z and HW Monitor all of them [to be sure] that I have big CPU voltage and frequency fluctuates on idle.
Like Voltage is from 0,924v to 1,126v and Clocks 2994Mhz up to 3114Mhz.

Keep in mind that when I run AIDA64 stress test the voltage jumps to 1,218v and Clock to 3897Mhz CONSTANT !

The temp on idle are max 38C and on full load AIDA64 test its max 64C.

I researched for days to check if this is okay, as I see very big FPS spikes in my games and I really don't like that as I payed a pretty good amount of $ for this build.

Everything is in normal operating range.
Ryzen boosts when needed and immediately goes into rest or almost sleep mode until something else needs done.
For the first few days windows will be doing a lot of background tasks if you use the computer while it is on.
And most people (including me at first) expected Ryzen to perform and behave like older AMD and INTEL processors. It does not.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/ssd usage?
only 480gb ssd? how full it is?

CPU/GPU temp and usage during the game is around 3340Mhz and 48c MAX, usage is around 10% ,, my BASE clock speed is 3,9GHz
SSD is around 3% max usage, RAM usage 30% with chrome in background temps for motherboard and SSD are never above 38c
SSD is populated by 290GB

FYI: I updated the BIOS to the latest version and the motherboard chipset as well.

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Everything is in normal operating range.
Ryzen boosts when needed and immediately goes into rest or almost sleep mode until something else needs done.
For the first few days windows will be doing a lot of background tasks if you use the computer while it is on.
And most people (including me at first) expected Ryzen to perform and behave like older AMD and INTEL processors. It does not.

Hmm okay but what the point of getting a 3,9ghz CPU for it to run around 3,3Ghz and not even all cores by playing a game, I dont get the most out of it :/ that whey

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Also, what is bothering me is that there is now Ryzen Power Plan in Windows Power Plan Settings and if I put it on High Performance Power Plan still it does not change.
Thats what concerns me, even doe if its sett to high performance where I edited it to be on 100% max CPU its not still moving, then I went to the BIOS and set and exact Voltage and Clock : 1,25V and 3,9Ghz which is all normal.
Power Plan doesnt change it nor the BIOS settings. It doesnt not change,it doesnt listen to me XD at all [my bios settings] nor the Power Plan in Windows
Then I disabled:
the CooLnQuiet and
Down Core Control and
the Core Performance Boost
and the Global C State Control
And the Precision Boost thing is left on Auto.
All have I done is to set it to just have my base 3,9Ghz and normal voltage, but IT DOES NOT comply at all.
Its concerning me why is it not obeying any of the settings ???

You have to turn off precision boost. It will override all other settings you make.
And you are trying to make it behave like an older processor.
Setting a 3.9ghz overclock is actually hampering the performance of the chip. Which can easily do 4.4ghz if cooled properly. Probably 4.4 all core is possible.
But you must forget about clocking older chips.
Let it do its thing.
Go into bios and set it to bios defaults and reboot.
Re enter bios.
Now set your memory speed, timings, and voltages.
Turn OFF PBO.
Set a multiplyer of 44
Set CPUvoltage to 1.275-1.3v .start at 1.325 and work your way down until you are unstable.
This should give you 4.4ghz all core boost and let the processor Idle down when not needed.

Reactions: Phaaze88

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
You have to turn off precision boost. It will override all other settings you make.
And you are trying to make it behave like an older processor.
Setting a 3.9ghz overclock is actually hampering the performance of the chip. Which can easily do 4.4ghz if cooled properly. Probably 4.4 all core is possible.
But you must forget about clocking older chips.
Let it do its thing.
Go into bios and set it to bios defaults and reboot.
Re enter bios.
Now set your memory speed, timings, and voltages.
Turn OFF PBO.
Set a multiplyer of 44
Set CPUvoltage to 1.275-1.3v .start at 1.325 and work your way down until you are unstable.
This should give you 4.4ghz all core boost and let the processor Idle down when not needed.

I think we misunderstood. I never said I want any kind of overclock nor have I done it. I am just saying that I want my CPU to work and behave how I payed and set it.
Its base clock is 3,9Ghz and its constantly being on 2,9Ghz and on Full load it goes to 3,9Ghz.

But what worries me is that even though I set the Power Plan in Windows to High Performance and placed correct set values for voltages and clock speed in bios to 1,22V and 3,9Ghz and Base to 100Mhz as default still it is not stable nor at the value I told it to be. Its fluctuating on its own all the time not getting influenced by any of my changes [tweaks/ commands].

I think we misunderstood. I never said I want any kind of overclock nor have I done it. I am just saying that I want my CPU to work and behave how I payed and set it.
Its base clock is 3,9Ghz and its constantly being on 2,9Ghz and on Full load it goes to 3,9Ghz.

But what worries me is that even though I set the Power Plan in Windows to High Performance and placed correct set values for voltages and clock speed in bios to 1,22V and 3,9Ghz and Base to 100Mhz as default still it is not stable nor at the value I told it to be. Its fluctuating on its own all the time not getting influenced by any of my changes [tweaks/ commands].
How are you monitoring CPU clocks, temperature and voltage?

As previously mentioned, Ryzen's very different from older Intel CPU's. Mainy, it's extremely dynamic with how it boosts and idles individual cores for energy saving. It might seem as though it's not running at higher clocks because it boosts only when the processing load demands it, you have to use a capable monitoring utility to see it in action.

Of course, run with the latest BIOS and chipset drivers and with both clocks and voltage on AUTO in BIOS to let the CPU run the way it's supposed to. If you're worried about performance that boosting behavior makes it hard to look at clocks to assess it, instead run a real-world benchmark and compare to known performance marks for your processor: the best one is Cinebench 20. Run BOTH multi-thread and single thread and compare those to see if it's performing up to spec for both.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
If you are not trying to overclock why are you disabling all of the performance and power saving parameters???????
Ryzen is different than all processors before it. It is designed to give best performance when it runs at stock settings.
You are trying to make it act like an old processor design which it is not.
All you are doing is crippling performance trying to make it act like an older processor.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
If you are not trying to overclock why are you disabling all of the performance and power saving parameters???????
Yes...that's important part of Ryzen's performance and energy efficiency. The chipset driver installs a Ryzen Balanced power plan so run it unchanged as it lets the CPU manage power using it's internal mechanism. Ryzen boosts and idles for power effieciency up to 10 times more frequently than Windows can with it's methods using it's power plans.

Ryzen 5000 CPU's supposedly don't need Ryzen power plans, but I'd still use them if the chipset driver installation sets them.

There are things you can do to improve performance, entirely different things from legacy CPU's. PBO, for instance.

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Hmm yea okay, understood.
So as I got it, even doe if I put the power plan on High Performance and Set parameter on BIOS the CPU will never listen to my settings but It will behave on its own every time as that it how it is made ?

I have disabled the up mentioned features as it was all on auto and it was fluctuating my CPU like in 1 second he would switch between 0,088v to 1,4v to 1,21v, to 0,950v and the cloks as well in the same time from 800mhz to 4,2Ghz !!!

That scared me so I tried to tweak the bios settings to turn of any auto stuff and now after doing it I am at this level.
On idle: around 1,1V and on 3Ghz and on max load its 1,22V and 3,9Ghz stable and constant.

P.S: I am using AIDA64 Extreme, CPU-Z, HWMonitor and HWinfo64.

You completely do not understand how Ryzen processors work.
Go into bios and load bios defaults.
Restart.
Enter bios and set memory to correct speed ,timings and voltage.
Save and exit.
Boot into Windows.
If you have not already done so ,download AMD chipset drivers and install them.
https://www.amd.com/en/support

Now go to power plans and select Ryzen Balanced.

Your processor is not 3.9GHZ
It is 0 (yes ZERO) to 4.4GHZ.
When sitting at the desktop ,browsing the internet ,doing mail, watching Youtube etc.... 2-3 or 4 cores may be turned off. Resulting in Zero GHZ. Because they are not needed.

Single threaded and lightly tasks will cause one or two cores to boost to 4.4 GHZ.
Heavy multi threaded tasks will use all cores at 3.9GHZ more/less depending on power draw and processor temperature.
So trying to make it run 3.9 GHZ all the time is wasting power and crippling its performance.

Hmm yea okay, understood.
So as I got it, even doe if I put the power plan on High Performance and Set parameter on BIOS the CPU will never listen to my settings but It will behave on its own every time as that it how it is made ?

I have disabled the up mentioned features as it was all on auto and it was fluctuating my CPU like in 1 second he would switch between 0,088v to 1,4v to 1,21v, to 0,950v and the cloks as well in the same time from 800mhz to 4,2Ghz !!!

That scared me so I tried to tweak the bios settings to turn of any auto stuff and now after doing it I am at this level.
On idle: around 1,1V and on 3Ghz and on max load its 1,22V and 3,9Ghz stable and constant.

P.S: I am using AIDA64 Extreme, CPU-Z, HWMonitor and HWinfo64.
If you use any power plans other than a Ryzen power plan installed by the AMD chipset drivers it will over-ride Ryzen's internal energy savings mechanisms. It will probably do that even if you use a Ryzen power plan and take Minimimum Processor Performance State off 99%, which is the way the chipset driver installer sets it up by default.

But getting back to basics: the most important thing to realize is you're not using good methodology for setting up your system. ANY time you're trying to customize settings...or tweak performance...you NEED to baseline performance using standardized, default settings. Set up in full auto...like @Unolocogringo suggests...and use a good benchmark program to assess performance FIRST. ALSO use a monitoring program that properly supports Ryzen systems. Once you've done that you'll be able to see if anything you do is helping or hurting

In NORMAL OPERATION, with a proper monitoring utility (HWInfo64) you'll see clocks of individual cores boosting to max rated clocks and core voltages spiking to AS HIGH AS 1.5V. That is normal and by design for Ryzen CPU's! In between spikes cores will turn off...that's C6 power state, deep sleep. When it does core voltages and clocks drop to 0 but you'll see it as something very low...maybe .6V and 2900Mhz or so. It can't be polled for it's true status since that would 'wake' it up, so it reports a false value instead.

And it's doing all that very rapidly...up to 100 times per second for each core. No monitoring utility can pick all the changes up, so you're not seeing the whole thing. Ever.

Last edited:

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Done.
Placed all settings in the BIOS to default.
Installed the latest chipset driver from AMD website.
Restarted.
Booted back up. Choose the balanced plan.

And now... the results :

As I said on the beginning, it is non stop fluctuating from 2,9Ghz to 4,4Ghz ... no timeout yet its on idle , to be more precise its not going like : (from 2,9ghz to a bit of 3,4ghz then back the to 3,6, 3,7 etc) -> No, no, its literally just doing the 2,9ghz and jump to 4,4Ghz only those to ... up and down , up and down :/ All that is on idle state
I am running nothing but HWiINFO64.

And the minimum temp of the CPU is higher now.
Before
it was on idle max 37c and now its 50c minimum 49c :(

When I ran the AIDA64 Extreme stress test, it is on 100% [full load] constant 4,4Ghz and 1,35V and 72c temp.
As I said I dont want overclocking, just the normal and good functioning.

Last edited:
As I said on the beginning, it is non stop fluctuating from 2,9Ghz to 4,4Ghz ... no timeout yet its on idle ,
.... :(
That is perfectly normal operation for Ryzen CPU's. It boosts agressively to max rated clocks (4.4Ghz for 5600G) from "idle".

But it's also not idle. Windows is never idle, the OS is always doing something in the background. There's over 150 processes with 2200 execution threads on my system right now, at any time one of them will wake up and 'do' something and the CPU responds by boosting a core to max clock to get it done fast and go back to sleep.

When it boosts, it spikes in temps too. Watch the CPU Die Average temp in HWInfo, which averages the spikes to see the true thermal output.

Your CPU seems to be running spot on like it should.

EDIT add:
And I would not worry about those temps at all. The CPU is rated with Tjmax of 95c, although it's desireable to run in the 70-80c range in heavy work loads to keep it boosting to higher clocks. Putting really good cooling on a Ryzen CPU is almost like overclocking.

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Done.
Placed all settings in the BIOS to default.
Installed the latest chipset driver from AMD website.
Restarted.
Booted back up. Choose the balanced plan.

And now... the results :

As I said on the beginning, it is non stop fluctuating from 2,9Ghz to 4,4Ghz ... no timeout yet its on idle , to be more precise its not going like : (from 2,9ghz to a bit of 3,4ghz then back the to 3,6, 3,7 etc) -> No, no, its literally just doing the 2,9ghz and jump to 4,4Ghz only those to ... up and down , up and down :/ All that is on idle state
I am running nothing but HWiINFO64.

And the minimum temp of the CPU is higher now.
Before
it was on idle max 37c and now its 50c minimum 49c :(

When I ran the AIDA64 Extreme stress test, it is on 100% [full load] constant 4,4Ghz and 1,35V and 72c temp.
As I said I dont want overclocking, just the normal and good functioning.

That is how my 5600X also behaved, voltages constantly over 1.4v on idle, clocking up and down like a maniac. I got tired of it and set a static overclock. Settled on 4.45 Ghz. Right now my CPUs effective clock is around 100-200 Mhz, sits around 35-40 C. Before with PBO it was 50-60 C. And IIRC, one core was constantly boosting up to 4.65 Ghz or something, for no reason.

... set a static overclock. Settled on 4.45 Ghz. ...

That's 150Mhz lower than max rated clock for a 5600X and hurting performance considerably. Especially light threaded performance that's most important for gaming.

I can understand it in some applications, but why average users buy high-performance CPU's and turn them into dogs in pursuit of arbitrarily low operating temperatures is beyond me. But it's your choice.

EDIT: corrected my maths.

Last edited:

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
The info above I shared is with everything in BIOS on default [AUTO] and PBO on Disabled

FYI:
In my BIOS you have 3 options for almost everything: 1. AUTO / 2. NORMAL / 3. manual specific setting like exact clock speed etc

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
That's 150Mhz lower than max rated clock for a 5600X and hurting performance considerably. Especially light threaded performance that's most important for gaming.

I can understand it in some applications, but why average users buy high-performance CPU's and turn them into dogs in pursuit of arbitrarily low operating temperatures is beyond me. But it's your choice.

EDIT: corrected my maths.
In AC:Valhalla that amounted to 1 FPS which is margin of error. I have tested PBO + CO too.
And it's 200 Mhz, boosts to 4.65 Ghz.

And it's 200 Mhz, boosts to 4.65 Ghz.

Hitting 4.65 is great, but, 4.6Ghz is the rated max clock.

One other thing about fixing it at any clock is the CPU cores never get a chance to idle down to really low clocks, with the energy saving that comes with it. Makes it questionable about any 'life time' improving it does as it's more likely to degrade life if anything since it never gets to 'de-stress', so to speak. Ryzen has a lot of better ways to de-rate the boost algorithm and allow it to let under-used cores hit low clocks whenever it can.

Last edited: