[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 2700x compatibility with my GPU

Daste

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU to AMD Ryzen 7 2700x. Will it be compatible with the GeForce 1060 6GB? Will there be bottlenecks? I saw on youtube the same CPU+GPU running games well. Thanks!

Solution
I had that GPU paired with 2700x and it was great, the GPU will limit fps more than the 2700x but I would go for the 3600 now if I was buying now. The 2700x is a great deal at the moment but for gaming the Ryzen 3600 or 3700 versions are better for gaming and they are way more power efficient. It will also leave plenty of headroom if you move up to the RTX series GPU or the AMD 5700 range.

Of course it depends on your motherboard, what resolution and fps you play at and other system components as to what will work best.

Nvidia and AMD are said to be bringing new GPU's on the market this year so what is out now be better value at least in the mid-range bracket.
I had that GPU paired with 2700x and it was great, the GPU will limit fps more than the 2700x but I would go for the 3600 now if I was buying now. The 2700x is a great deal at the moment but for gaming the Ryzen 3600 or 3700 versions are better for gaming and they are way more power efficient. It will also leave plenty of headroom if you move up to the RTX series GPU or the AMD 5700 range.

Of course it depends on your motherboard, what resolution and fps you play at and other system components as to what will work best.

Nvidia and AMD are said to be bringing new GPU's on the market this year so what is out now be better value at least in the mid-range bracket.

Solution
When I enter your models in that calculator I get that the GPU is bottlenecking the CPU by 64%.

This somewhat makes a little sense in that your CPU can handle a much more powerful GPU.

....but as I said....I wouldn't trust it.

I think they will work well for you together.