[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 3700x Very High Idle Temps Over 80C

Aug 16, 2021
Hello! First post here

I've had a 3700x for over a year now, but only recently have I noticed that my temps were extremely high. I do realise it is small, but I have a 120mm AIO watercooler from EVGA. I've swapped from a 1600 to my current CPU, so the thermal paste is not stock. At idle, the CPU jumps to about 85 C, and when running any process, it jumps to 95 C and slowly returns to 'normal'. Under load, my clocks are about 2.0 GHz - 2.5 GHz, and at idle are about 3.0 GHz to 3.5 GHz.

I've replaced the thermal paste, and the application is good, and my coolant temps are around 50-55 C under idle, and 65 C under load. Though, load and idle for the CPU are usually around 90-95 C.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: AMD RX5700xt
RAM: 32GB 2400 MHz (2x16GB)
Motherboard: MSI b350 Tomahawk

Solution
I've just cleaned out the radiator, and no, I cannot verify that the cooler is full, though there is no sign of leaks or issues with it. I've no longer got the stock cooler, but I'm willing to get one for a baseline to find the source of the issue. And I'm reading this temps off of Core Temp, and the EVGA Flow Control software. I don't believe the temps are as low as 60, with the issues I'm having software-side with thermal throttling (?) and such.

Thank you!

In truth, a 120 should be getting taxed from a 3700X. To the point of throttling, I cannot say. The throttling would indicate the issue is the reverse of my consideration at first (above) and I trust Core Temp with Ryzen as it works well on all my AMD machines.

I would...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
How are you reading these various temps?

In an uneducated guess I would think that your coolant temps are likely more indicative of the actual temp of the CPU. It seems that since you have changed the paste and such that you can verify there is good plate to spreader contact going on.

Might be worthwhile to consider placing the stock (air) cooler back on to see what kind of temps you see that way. Are you positive that the AIO is operational, full of water, and positioned correctly so as not to cavitate/air bubble in the pump?

Have you blown dust out of this machine and the radiator in this past year?

Aug 16, 2021
How are you reading these various temps?

In an uneducated guess I would think that your coolant temps are likely more indicative of the actual temp of the CPU. It seems that since you have changed the paste and such that you can verify there is good plate to spreader contact going on.

Might be worthwhile to consider placing the stock (air) cooler back on to see what kind of temps you see that way. Are you positive that the AIO is operational, full of water, and positioned correctly so as not to cavitate/air bubble in the pump?

Have you blown dust out of this machine and the radiator in this past year?

I've just cleaned out the radiator, and no, I cannot verify that the cooler is full, though there is no sign of leaks or issues with it. I've no longer got the stock cooler, but I'm willing to get one for a baseline to find the source of the issue. And I'm reading this temps off of Core Temp, and the EVGA Flow Control software. I don't believe the temps are as low as 60, with the issues I'm having software-side with thermal throttling (?) and such.

Thank you!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Thank you!

In truth, a 120 should be getting taxed from a 3700X. To the point of throttling, I cannot say. The throttling would indicate the issue is the reverse of my consideration at first (above) and I trust Core Temp with Ryzen as it works well on all my AMD machines.

I would imagine that you can locate a used (unused) Spire for next to nothing. If not, something like a Hyper 212, Snowman, anything like that should give you a good baseline temp for consideration.

Solution
Aug 16, 2021

I would imagine that you can locate a used (unused) Spire for next to nothing. If not, something like a Hyper 212, Snowman, anything like that should give you a good baseline temp for consideration.

So I got a 240mm AIO cooler from MSI, but I had to wait for a bracket that arrived today. After a few tests, the CPU hasn't exceeded 60 C whatsoever! I'm surprised that the 120mm underperformed by that much, but the problem is resolved. Thank you very much for the help, it is much appreciated!