charlie786

Prominent
Nov 4, 2020
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Vs AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Vs Ryzen 9 3900X , it's like 8 core vs 12 core for me, Doesn't it's better to have more core's? In other choice the Ryzen 7 3800X is lot cheaper than Ryzen 7 5800X like $100 less and both have same cores, well 5800X have little more FPS advantage no doubt but also cost $100 extra. Too much confusion, Help me choose the best value for money, Currently my bet is on 5800X because if RX6000 series GPU's really better like AMD said then I will surely get it after launch otherwise Nvidia 3070 or 2080 Ti is already in my mind and if I get latest AMD GPU after launch then 5800X will surely provide some extra benefits like they said.

Which one do you recommend?

Current Prices here in my country
Ryzen 7 3800X = $416
Ryzen 7 5800X = $557
Ryzen 9 3900X = $513

Solution
I am making a build only for my HP Reverb G2 VR Headset and I hope you already know to run the headsets like these we need strong system which run this device at it's full potential however I know Reverb G2 Minimum requirement is Ryzen 5 but I have a bad habit to keep open multiple applications like 4K videos running in chrome then simultaneously steam VR application also keep running + some other VR related software and Skype, WhatsApp desktop etc. applications are always running in background. so it's kind of many things going so I want to know those extra 4 cores of 3900X will be helpful in these case for me or not and If I go with 5800X and then pair it with upcoming RX6000 AMD GPU then as AMD said we can use SAM ( Smart...
What do you use your PC for? Is it only playing the latest AAA games, or do you do some productivity or other things as well? What about multi-tasking? Anything that can use more than 16 threads? If you only play games and have a few light applications running in the background, buying a 12 core CPU is kinda just overkill. Also, what resolution monitor do you plan on using with your new GPU? If you plan on playing at 4K or 1440p, then the FPS difference between the 5800X and 3800X might not be noticeable in most AAA games. The 3900X is really only for you if you do some heavy multi-tasking or if you have some highly multi-threaded workload that can use those 24 threads fully, because games won't even use the 16 threads of the 3800X fully. As for 5800X vs 3800X, the difference would only be noticeable if you have a high-refresh rate 1080p monitor with a powerful GPU.

charlie786

Prominent
Nov 4, 2020
What do you use your PC for? Is it only playing the latest AAA games, or do you do some productivity or other things as well? What about multi-tasking? Anything that can use more than 16 threads? If you only play games and have a few light applications running in the background, buying a 12 core CPU is kinda just overkill. Also, what resolution monitor do you plan on using with your new GPU? If you plan on playing at 4K or 1440p, then the FPS difference between the 5800X and 3800X might not be noticeable in most AAA games. The 3900X is really only for you if you do some heavy multi-tasking or if you have some highly multi-threaded workload that can use those 24 threads fully, because games won't even use the 16 threads of the 3800X fully. As for 5800X vs 3800X, the difference would only be noticeable if you have a high-refresh rate 1080p monitor with a powerful GPU.

I am making a build only for my HP Reverb G2 VR Headset and I hope you already know to run the headsets like these we need strong system which run this device at it's full potential however I know Reverb G2 Minimum requirement is Ryzen 5 but I have a bad habit to keep open multiple applications like 4K videos running in chrome then simultaneously steam VR application also keep running + some other VR related software and Skype, WhatsApp desktop etc. applications are always running in background. so it's kind of many things going so I want to know those extra 4 cores of 3900X will be helpful in these case for me or not and If I go with 5800X and then pair it with upcoming RX6000 AMD GPU then as AMD said we can use SAM ( Smart Access Memory ) however I don't have any idea about whether it will be helpful for VR thing and multitasking or not. For me the confusion right now is to go for more core of 3900X or go with Latest Ryzen 5800X which have only 8 core but better single core performance and also better FPS if in case I like to play Non VR games sometime.

I do have Sony Bravia 4K TV as my monitor because as I said above I am not a hard core PC gamer yet and this is my first desktop build, I am using Asus rog gaming laptop with i7 and Nvidia 960 + 16 GB RAM from last 4 years and never played a single game on it yet but it's not enough for my HP Reverb G2.

Last edited:
I am making a build only for my HP Reverb G2 VR Headset and I hope you already know to run the headsets like these we need strong system which run this device at it's full potential however I know Reverb G2 Minimum requirement is Ryzen 5 but I have a bad habit to keep open multiple applications like 4K videos running in chrome then simultaneously steam VR application also keep running + some other VR related software and Skype, WhatsApp desktop etc. applications are always running in background. so it's kind of many things going so I want to know those extra 4 cores of 3900X will be helpful in these case for me or not and If I go with 5800X and then pair it with upcoming RX6000 AMD GPU then as AMD said we can use SAM ( Smart Access Memory ) however I don't have any idea about whether it will be helpful for VR thing and multitasking or not. For me the confusion right now is to go for more core of 3900X or go with Latest Ryzen 5800X which have only 8 core but better single core performance and also better FPS if in case I like to play Non VR games sometime.

I do have Sony Bravia 4K TV as my monitor because as I said above I am not a hard core PC gamer yet and this is my first desktop build, I am using Asus rog gaming laptop with i7 and Nvidia 960 + 16 GB RAM from last 4 years and never played a single game on it yet but it's not enough for my HP Reverb G2.
Okay, based on what you are saying you'll use the system for, I'd say the 3900X is probably the better option. Either CPU will really be fine for you, the performance difference in games wouldn't be noticeable because the GPU will be the limiting factor in almost every game, and even if the CPU is the limiting factor, the HP Reverb G2 has a refresh rate of 90 Hz, which means it cannot display more than 90 FPS - both the 5800X and the 3900X can easily deliver 90 FPS in games, when paired with a capable GPU.

I'm suggesting the 3900X because of the multitasking habit that you've mentioned - while 8 cores will also handle those tasks while gaming in current games, in the future games it might not be enough, so the 12 core is a safer bet.

If you play non-VR games, my guess is you'll use that 4K TV, in which case again you'll be GPU-limited in almost every demanding game, and so there will be no FPS difference between the 5800X and the 3900X.

TLDR : The 5800X's better single core speed will won't help your experience in games, but the 3900X's additional cores will help you in multitasking, hence the 3900X is the better option.

Reactions: charlie786
Solution