Oct 14, 2017
Hi guys,

i recently updated my computer:

MB: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming - > new: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
GPU: 8GB Gainward GeForce GTX 1080
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X -> new: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 -> new: added 2 more
PSU: 500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10 CM Modular 80+ Gold

After a week of normal usage without any problems the pc started randomly restarting. I didnt touch anything in the BIOS, no overclocking, nothing. It was hapening in idle as well as under performance. After a while i could force the restart by starting a windows defender scan.

I updated BIOS to the newest version, changed PSU and GPU, all without any improvement, but changing the CPU (to a Ryzen 5 3600) stopped the random restarts. I managed to get a new CPU as replacement, but now i am hesitant to use it because i fear that i might have done something wrong (or missed to do sth) to create these random restarts.

Does anyone have a clue why it started? And why it worked for 1 week without any problems? Do i have to consider something when using the Ryzen 7 5800X, maybe something not compatible?

Hi guys,

After a week of normal usage without any problems the pc started randomly restarting. I didnt touch anything in the BIOS, no overclocking, nothing. It was hapening in idle as well as under performance. After a while i could force the restart by starting a windows defender scan.

I updated BIOS to the newest version, changed PSU and GPU, all without any improvement, but changing the CPU (to a Ryzen 5 3600) stopped the random restarts. I managed to get a new CPU as replacement, but now i am hesitant to use it because i fear that i might have done something wrong (or missed to do sth) to create these random restarts.

Does anyone have a clue why it started? And why it worked for 1 week without any problems? Do i have to consider something when using the Ryzen 7 5800X, maybe something not compatible?
Bios updated to last version ?

Hi guys,

Did you reset CMOS, especially if you updated BIOS?

How did you transition to the new motherboard? with a clean install of Windows or by just moving over drives? You might get along with just moving drives but a clean install makes it much more likely to be trouble free without chasing problems.

niko_bele

Reputable
Oct 14, 2017
Did you reset CMOS, especially if you updated BIOS?

How did you transition to the new motherboard? with a clean install of Windows or by just moving over drives? You might get along with just moving drives but a clean install makes it much more likely to be trouble free without chasing problems.
I didnt reset CMOS and i didnt clean install windows. But the working CPU right now (Ryzen 5 3600) is one i borrowed from a friend when we investigated the restarts and that CPU does work without any additioanl settings, resets etc. I just swapped the new error causing ryzen 7 to the ryzen 5 and the restarts disappeared, i doubt it depends on a clean windows install. Maybe resetting CMOS as you suggest might help, thanks for that hint.

niko_bele

Reputable
Oct 14, 2017
Diagnosing is all about eliminating things. Since there always should have been a fresh install, it's an easy thing to eliminate for sure by doing a fresh install. Simply assuming X is a poor method for diagnosing PC issues.

I have reinstalled windows now, but am still hesitant to use the new cpu, because it worked 1 week without problems before the restarts started. This feels like something broke it after a week or gradually during that week of usage. Can a low watt psu damage the cpu? My >500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10 CM Modular 80+ Gold< should be enough according to some sites which offer a psu calculator, but it does not leave a lot of head room.

I have reinstalled windows now, but am still hesitant to use the new cpu, because it worked 1 week without problems before the restarts started. This feels like something broke it after a week or gradually during that week of usage. Can a low watt psu damage the cpu? My >500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10 CM Modular 80+ Gold< should be enough according to some sites which offer a psu calculator, but it does not leave a lot of head room.
If you're not resetting CMOS as you change out the CPU then you can have just these types of problems. If the new CPU uses the memory settings from the prior CPU it can slowly corrupt a Windows installation. A CMOS reset forces the new CPU to retrain memory, so be sure to reset CMOS just to eliminate that as a potential for causing the problem.

The PSU might be an issue but only when using the GPU as while gaming it draws very heavy power almost continuously. In normal use the CPU itself is very efficient and rarely draws continuous heavy power...really not unless processing a heavy all-core workload, something like transcoding a video (Handbrake/h.264) or a 3D graphical image (Blender). Gaming does not load all cores of a CPU, neither very heavily nor continuously, even though it does the GPU. Something like Folding at Home will load both CPU and GPU heavily and continuously, that's when your PSU is most likely to to be insufficient.

Last edited:

grantbaby80

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
Is your motherboard a B-350 or a B-550? I think only B-550 or X-570 recommended for that cpu. I have a B-550 F gaming and a 5800x and so far things working fine. I would check the QVL for that mobo.