News AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Review: 3D V-Cache Powers a New Gaming Champion

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
This is quite untrue. I have seen benchmarks of Shadow of the Tomb Raider using 75% of the cores/threads of a Ryzen 5 6c/12t chip. IIRC it was a 3600, on a game that came out in 2018.
The 75% proves that it is true. Also I didn’t say that you have the highest performance with 4 cores/8t, I said it’s enough for gaming. And it easily is.

Well I just upgraded from a 3700X and managed to get a couple of hours gaming on it today. I’m pleased with my initial findings. Paired with 3080 and running at 1440p 240Hz I can feel the difference in COD Vanguard multiplayer (not put enough time into others yet). I cannot say for sure but I have a feeling it’s the improved lows that I am noticing the most.

Reactions: King_V and Why_Me

guru7of9

Reputable
Jun 1, 2018
Does this cpu cost more to produce with the extra cache? If so it might not go down in price as soon as some think.
The Ryzen 5800X3D is pretty sweet bit of kit!
Unfortunately here in Oz the price of the 5800X3D is $699 vs 5800X $499 and is sold out everywhere. :(
I am running a 5600X. if it were around $ 550 i would seriously consider buying one . Will have to wait and see if the price settles down !
But alas i may miss out if they are only a limited run but im not prepared to pay overs.
As for all this productivity performance blah blah blah. its all crap ! It is still pretty good at productivity for what it is . It is an 8 core cpu vs the intel 16 core 12900k and a lot cheaper.
I dont really care about productivity tbh and im sure there are a lot more people out there like me that just want their games to run faster and have some thing that can do office on the side occasionally but its just not that important! !

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

guru7of9

Reputable
Jun 1, 2018
And yet the funny thing is AMD seems to be heavily pushing the 5800X3D as a gaming CPU. They show only gaming workloads in their marketing. If AMD was confident 3D VCache was a general purpose game changer, then it would show some of those benchmarks as well but those are missing. So no, Intel has nothing worry about here.

The only reason why gaming workloads would be suitable for this application is because games have a lot of data reuse (running a loop over and over again on the same things). A majority of other processor heavy applications don't reuse data by the nature of the workload itself (crunch one set of data, move on to the next set when done).

So what your really saying is that AMD have built and marketed the 5800X3D to what its very good at, ie gaming ! Sounds logical to me! :)

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
So what your really saying is that AMD have built and marketed the 5800X3D to what its very good at, ie gaming ! Sounds logical to me! :)
There’s a seismical calculation app I saw it having huge gains with the 3D cache, so good it beat everything including 5950X and 12900K but aside from that mostly on same perf as 5800X or a bit slower or a bit faster, nothing worth writing about.

guru7of9

Reputable
Jun 1, 2018
Also 5900x is for content creation! And 3d cache is... well not good for content creations. So why make a content creation chip that it worse than the normal?
3d cache at this moment makes sense in games so 6 or 8 core chips that is already in disadvantage at content creation makes much more sense as gaming chip!
unfortunately that is nature of the beast with regards To PC BUILDING. New stuff comes out all the time!
i would have thought you would have waited a little while longer until all the reviews of the new Intel Alderlake came out to see what is better !

spare a thought for all those who bought Rocketlake ! a 6 month lifespan !

But with your 5900X if you crank up your ram to run at high as possible, maybe 4000mhz and infinity fabric still aty 1:1, then thats probly as good as you will get . maybe even a undervolt it but your milage will vary for both. but you can get some big gains for gaming at 1080P with a good vid card !
as shown by Wizzard at Techpowerup

I don't understand how some can't see this is AMD giving AM4 one last hurrah while giving a glimpse into the next gen.

This isn't a "ditch your 12900k and expensive motherboard and RAM and come over to this side". If you're on AM4 with a compatible motherboard and do a lot of gaming you could get this and be good for another year or so.

I think it's amazing what AMD has done with the same socket and for the most part backwards compatibility over the last few years.
You are right on the money! I couldnt have said it better ! :)

Last edited:

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I got the CPU now since yesterday and tested it in 3DMark from TimeSpy all the way down to 06. The results were quite interesting, first of all I switched from a 3700X with PBO optimized by Stilt, with my ram running on 3800 CL16. Now the new CPU runs on 3600 CL16 and PBO is not possible.
Big gains in Firestrike, 11 and Vantage Extreme which is a DX10 benchmark. Small gains in 06 since it’s too old and too hard cpu limited and TimeSpy and Port Royale since those were GPU limited anyway. I used a 2080 Ti Strix with high OC. Efficiency as high as was talked about, I’m very happy. What I’m not happy about is that the CPU will run over 70 to over 80 with high load, meaning “blend” in Prime95. Small FFT would throttle the CPU at the 90° C limit. Cooler is a NH D14 with AM4 kit. So the cooler is like, barely enough to drive it. Not worrying but suffice to say it could be a lot better. It becomes very clear that AMD could’ve demolished Intel with higher clocks, if not limited by too much temperature. But the upside is, like this the CPU is extremely efficient. Love it and greatest CPU I ever had.