Review AMD Ryzen 7 8700G Review — 1080p-Capable Gaming Comes to Integrated Graphics

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G Hyper-RX, Power Consumption, Overclocking, Test Setup
Hyper-RX -> HYPR-RX
"The Ryzen 7 8700G utterly destroys the previous-gen Ryzen 7 8700G"

This review appears to be much more favorable to the 8700G. AnandTech did all testing at DDR5-5200.

Gamers Nexus found an issue with STAPM being enabled and degrading performance. That's Skin Temperature Aware Power Management, which obviously is not relevant to desktop APUs in a desktop computer.

There have been good bundles in the US with 7600X/7800X3D + motherboard + DDR5. Micro Center obviously but also Newegg.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17261224

If you do live near a Micro Center, take note of the stupidly low open box prices on DDR5-6000 kits. These returns aren't happening because the memory is bad. Maybe it's because they were included in so many bundles:
https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966965/desktop-memory-ram?storeid=181

Last edited:

suryasans

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
The included AI accelerator needs to be exposed in Gaming. It Will become a break through if the Ryzen 8700G GPU+NPU can be combined with discrete Graphics like Radeon RX 7600 to accelerate ray tracing effects in Gaming in the same FPS like Ray tracing effects disabled.

Reactions: artk2219

Tom Sunday

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
I will wait another year to buy Ryzen 8000G series as these APUs are still not a good value in terms of price/performance.
The kids in their 'VANS T-Shirts' at GameStop are of a different opinion regarding all of the hoopla being now offered on the various tech channel reviews. Their argument is that the 8700G will not in real life have the same juice or capability of a (2019) GTX 1650 mobile and which so far allowed them playing quite satisfactory 80%+ of their mostly outdated and now starkly reduced on-sale games. And no matter what AMD is now promising the new 'Phoenix' chips are being capable off!

For me these new Phoenix editions are essentially pointless as well. The three-star rating here in way telling the story! The Phoenix line I also think represents a niche product and the niche here is even smaller than with the once mighty Threadripper. Making me wonder why AMD would even bring this kind of new product to the market! Talking about niches:
  1. Office PC: Too much GPU performance
  2. Gaming PC: Much too little GPU performance
  3. Parents PC: Too much GPU performance
  4. Multimedia PC: Marginal at best
  5. Children's PC (simple games): Possible
According to current rumors, Zen5 x3D will not come onto the market until 2025 and which would be my first consideration all things considered. Finally it will be curious to see in see how AMD sells or will market these new APUs through their strategic partners.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
The included AI accelerator needs to be exposed in Gaming. It Will become a break through if the Ryzen 8700G GPU+NPU can be combined with discrete Graphics like Radeon RX 7600 to accelerate ray tracing effects in Gaming in the same FPS like Ray tracing effects disabled.
16 TOPS is weak. It has an efficiency advantage in laptops when it can be used. I don't think there's any chance that it can make upscaling or raytracing better.

We'll see how XDNA 2.0 does at a significantly higher 45-50 TOPS. But I would still bet that it is not utilized by games anytime soon, or for offloading functions that are already handled by a dGPU. (I would love to be proven wrong, I still think it's a neat accelerator to have.)

8700G is weird.
Only with half the L3 cache of 7700x, it doesn't perform well in game even with a dgpu.
Should be interesting to see how Strix Point does with increased 24 MiB L3 cache, but also a dual-CCX design.

Reactions: Order 66
AM5 really does need a cost reduction on the chipset, to help lower motherboard pricing since you cant do much about the RAM cost. Hopefully that can be addressed whenever they release the x700 series, i'm sure theyre also not worrying about it as its selling anyway, even with the high price. In the long run it's likely not sustainable, hopefully they figure that out before they have another socket 939 moment.

Apr 1, 2020
To borrow a slide from Techspot's review, as TH did not test Baulder's Gate 3, saying the 8700G is a -capable- 1080P gaming chip is a massive stretch. Yes it's a more demanding game than Fortnite or WoW, but to me "capable" in 2024 means "60fps". I would change the title to "Much improved, but still chasing entry level dGPUs".

6500XT-BG3-p.webp

...To me "capable" in 2024 means "60fps".
No way. 60 fps is way more than "capable" — that would be good or even great gaming performance (assuming you're not talking about minimum details with upscaling and frame generation). Capable means it can run it acceptably, and anything above 30 fps is generally sufficient for entry-level gaming, with performance above 40 fps typically ensuring that there won't be massive stutters dropping things well below 30 fps.

The 8700G is a competent integrated GPU. It's not fast and won't come close to budget graphics cards (RTX 3050 or above), but that's not really the point. It can at least provide a reasonable gaming experience while not requiring any additional hardware. Unless you want to count faster RAM I suppose. :p

AM5 really does need a cost reduction on the chipset, to help lower motherboard pricing since you cant do much about the RAM cost. Hopefully that can be addressed whenever they release the x700 series, i'm sure theyre also not worrying about it as its selling anyway, even with the high price. In the long run it's likely not sustainable, hopefully they figure that out before they have another socket 939 moment.
You can get an A620 for $75.

Apr 1, 2020
No way. 60 fps is way more than "capable" — that would be good or even great gaming performance (assuming you're not talking about minimum details with upscaling and frame generation). Capable means it can run it acceptably, and anything above 30 fps is generally sufficient for entry-level gaming, with performance above 40 fps typically ensuring that there won't be massive stutters dropping things well below 30 fps.

The 8700G is a competent integrated GPU. It's not fast and won't come close to budget graphics cards (RTX 3050 or above), but that's not really the point. It can at least provide a reasonable gaming experience while not requiring any additional hardware. Unless you want to count faster RAM I suppose. :p

"Competent" and "Reasonable" are perfect ways to describe an iGPU that can't do 60fps on anything but minimum detail levels (if then) while costing more than a setup with even an entry level dGPU with far more performance (as pointed out at the end of the article, and in most others as well) and with a total system cost that exceeds a console.

Reactions: Order 66
You can get an A620 for $75.
Yes, and that is still cheaper than you can find most b760 boards for, but a320 used to be sub 60, and starting at 75 you could start picking up a starter b450 board. Now pricing starts at 75 for a not great a620 board and b650 starts at 110 to 120. I get that there has been around 20% inflation since these were the prices, which is roughly where a620 is, but b650 should be around 90 and not 110. Meaning they're making a bit more profit (that's part of it) and the 600 series chipsets themselves are a bit more expensive to produce. The chipsets could use some cost cutting before am5 prices will really fall, you still can't do much about ddr5 though. I also have no clue what yields look like for the 8000g series, they're new so they're definitely trying to make up that r&d cost, but that price doesn't make sense in the long run.

Would love to see what the performance scaling looks like with higher speed DRAM + PBO since they can leverage asymmetric DRAM ratios. I doubt these APUs will ever make sense outside of systems designed around not using a discrete GPU so it would be interesting to see if higher speed DRAM with lower latency makes these worth considering over a minipc using 7x4x/8x4x mobile APUs.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
Most people see these (correctly) as gaming chips, but I'd be curious in its non-gaming prowess in value and price-to-performance in , for example, non-gaming multi monitor 4k desktop setups.

Reactions: bit_user

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
Most people see these (correctly) as gaming chips, but I'd be curious in its non-gaming prowess in value and price-to-performance in , for example, non-gaming multi monitor 4k desktop setups.
It should be able to support quad 4K60Hz monitors, if the 7840HS equipped mini-PCs are anything to go by.
Of course, it would depend on the mobo maker to add in the necessary HDMI/DP/USB4 connections.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
While it looks generally like a rather nice chip, I remember feeling the same about pretty much all the APUs AMD produced...

...and then feeling let down, when the iGPU portion of those chips sometimes got deprecated while they were still selling as new or because you cannot install Windows server editions on AMD desktop hardware: no other vendor is stinting as badly on signing drivers.

AMD really needs to make sure that
  • their iGPU driver life cycle is extended to ~10 years not 3 from launch
  • the iGPU (& desktop chipset) drivers also work on Windows server editions
because these APU really make for great µ-servers ...that can also be used as desktops.