News AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core CPU Lands in XMG Apex 15 Gaming Laptop

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Too chunky for a notebook. In my opinion this is a useless notebook.

It's more of a desktop replacement instead of a Apple Air wannabe.

I actually prefer real laptops with all the ports and decent cooling that doesn't throttle the system after 30 seconds.

My issue is the 15" screen. I went 17" 3 laptops ago and won't go back. I wonder why there isn't more 17" gaming laptops as it would give more room for cooling ... for that matter why not 19"+ ultra-wides with a full keyboard?

I guess I'm that niche guy in the niche market that wants a 20"+ Ultra-wide laptop with huge performance ... ideally for less than $3,000. Ya I know dreaming on that one.

XMG Support

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
It's more of a desktop replacement instead of a Apple Air wannabe.

I actually prefer real laptops with all the ports and decent cooling that doesn't throttle the system after 30 seconds.

My issue is the 15" screen. I went 17" 3 laptops ago and won't go back. I wonder why there isn't more 17" gaming laptops as it would give more room for cooling ...

Thank you for your question. We don't have 17" version of this particular AMD chassis planned yet, but there will be a successor to our XMG ULTRA 17 which has already been teased by LinusTechTips.

If you have more questions about XMG APEX 15, you will find a big FAQ right here.

Of course we're also happy to answer any of your questions right here at Tom's Hardware.

Cheers,
Tom

Apr 1, 2020
I cant understand why they try to cram it into a 15" , its too little room for efficient cooling that also means less noice from fans.
Give us 17 to 20" options so the 3950x dont have to throttle.

XMG Support

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
Thank you for your feedback, @MJAU.

Please rest assured, the 15" is perfectly capable to avoid thermal throttling.

After 15min of Prime95 (Small FTT's), the R9 3900 is still running at 3.5GHz on all 12 Cores with only ~82°C CCD1 temperature.

In Furmark+Prime with R9 3950X, the CPU Temperature rises to only 90°C which is still below throttling point.

Or to put this into performance results:

apex15_cpu-comparison.png

17" would not make such a big difference on cooling. The empty air volume might increase, but the heatpipes get longer and you don't want to increase the thickness, so you can't use much thicker fans either.

Currently there is no plan for a 17" on this platform. But if XMG APEX 15 sells well, I'm sure the ODM will consider it when they update their roadmap later this year.

Cheers,
Tom

p/s. Feel free to follow our subreddit at /r/XMG_gg for more in-depth discussion.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020
Yes, of course :)
Well I just bought one fully equipped. I just went for pure power wihtout compromise and comparison and accept the heat and the fan noise that comes with it .
The "undercover" design to me is an advantage cause people dont expect it to have that killer performance.
And importantly the Schenker support is amazing, knowledgeable and top professional when it comes to service. They helped me to get the complete image of my desktop system onto this notebook All in all a real powerhouse, very flexible and with phantastic suppport.