News AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core CPU Hits 5 GHz Without Breaking A Sweat

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
More seriously, I'd love to know how long the chip can sustain that speed. My 3600X can't hit it's 4.4GHz max boost at all, although 4 cores are capable of 4.35GHz, but even then they can generally only do it for a second or two.

Reactions: Gurg

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Lots of fanfare about 5 GHz...as though this arbitrary number in and of itself is significant.

The delivered performance is what is significant.

If the 5800X at 'only' 4.3 or 4.4 GHz sustained all-core clock speeds can defeat the 10700K at all core 4.8 GHz at a majority of applications/gaming benchmarks, that is what matters...

Absolutely agreed.

Yet, how many times have we seen the hand-wringing complaints from the pro-Intel crowd about how terrible AMD is because they can't hit 5GHz.

Of course, I expect now that they're going to simply change all that and say "because they can't hit 5.3GHz"

Lots of fanfare about 5 GHz...as though this arbitrary number in and of itself is significant.
significant
Yes, yes it is.

But even in all seriousness, anything a CPU can do at 4Ghz it can do 25% faster at 5Ghz so yes clocks are important.

What you wanted to say is that when comparing different CPUs that don't belong to the same family THEN this number is insignificant.

Of course, I expect now that they're going to simply change all that and say "because they can't hit 5.3GHz"
Meh, if ZEN 3 is actually going to be good intel will finally release rocket lake on 14nm, rocket lake will have 20% more compute units(ports go from 8 to 10) and whatever more cache than skylake so it will keep up the status quo we have now.
Sunny is the arch before rocket so rocket will be at least that.
Intel has made the reservation station structures much wider at four instead of two. Ports have gone from eight to ten. L1 caches on Intel CPUs are getting 50% bigger.
Intel-Sunny-Cove-to-Skylake-Comparison.jpg

If the 5800X at 'only' 4.3 or 4.4 GHz sustained all-core clock speeds can defeat the 10700K at all core 4.8 GHz at a majority of applications/gaming benchmarks, that is what matters...

While I don't disagree its arbitrary its still neat if we are going see these high clocks and this type of performance. This is pretty huge for AMD to take the crown across the board.

Meh, if ZEN 3 is actually going to be good intel will finally release rocket lake on 14nm, rocket lake will have 20% more compute units(ports go from 8 to 10) and whatever more cache than skylake so it will keep up the status quo we have now.

Intel-Sunny-Cove-to-Skylake-Comparison.jpg
Then why havent they already?

If it was ready they would release it as soon as possible. It must not be ready.

They are loosing significant market share in the enthusiast segment to AMD currently. You would think if they had any way to fight back available they would rather than purposely not innovate and loose market share.

They are a business, they aren't going to purposely hold back on releasing it since they are already loosing a lot of marketshare in the segment to amd, regardless of if you think zen is that good or not.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
More seriously, I'd love to know how long the chip can sustain that speed.

What I would like to see in the reviews are to have MSI Afterburner running in the background during the Time Spy CPU test (and maybe other benchmarks) and see the charts for CPU temp and clock speed. That way we can see not only the peak speed but also the sustained speed and possible throttling.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Just imagine the next Threadripper Generation performance . If AMD can pull 20% more performance on their 24 , 32 and 64 cores CPU then AMD will dominate the desktop market for at least 3 years.

Reactions: BeedooX

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I have a feeling AMD might not feel rushed to do TR5000 since there is no competition at all. They should focus their efforts to mobile imo. They already win there, but nobody still will use their chips

AMD cant compete in notebook because Notebooks makers still refuse to make expensive high grade AMD notebooks ... most AMD notebooks are low and midrange , both in materials and specs ... and I dont know why

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Not sure the mental significance either, aside from some kind of measuring contest against Intel. And Intel paid quite a wattage price to reach that figure, limiting their market severely. It's like getting caught up on displacement specs of a combustion motor instead of power or power/liter. I see a lot of parallels between Intel chips and aging muscle cars.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So they did what got a single core to boost to 5.0?

I'm still not biting on all the statements released until real benchmarks come out.

This to me sounds like Tom's is putting out all the hype they can find for AMD's new processors with the recent post like the 10600K being crushed by the 5600 or whatever. (no real numbers just one synthetic benchmark)
This statement then the other.
Without Breaking A Sweat

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Lays The Smackdown On The Intel Core i5-10600K

Or their just posting everything they can find that can be taken with a grain of salt till after released and the real numbers come out.

EDIT competition is good so we will see after real numbers come out.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
significant
Yes, yes it is.

But even in all seriousness, anything a CPU can do at 4Ghz it can do 25% faster at 5Ghz so yes clocks are important.

What you wanted to say is that when comparing different CPUs that don't belong to the same family THEN this number is insignificant.
Not really true you can get to a point of diminishing returns just like overclocking. If your getting a single core boost of 5.0 and the rest can't reach it then is it really 5.0 or take a average of the speed of the cores used according to how many cores the program used can actually use.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
This may not even be using PBO. Ryzen 3000 cpus already have 100MHz of boost frequency available beyond the advertised boost speed WITHOUT even enabling PBO, but they couldn't even reach the advertised boost speed so this was largely meaningless. Renoir greatly improved upon this, with the cpus regularly boosting 150MHz higher than the advertised boost speed.