News AMD Ryzen 9 7950X and Ryzen 5 7600X Review: A Return to Gaming Dominance

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Well, AM4 was supposed to get support until 2020 IIRC, eventually they kept pushing out updates until this year when AMD belatedly extended support for Zen 3 to first generation motherboards only because Alder Lake was competitive, initially they tried to avoid it. Something similar might happen again, or not. It depends on their future architectures and whether Intel will remain competitive. But of course the average fanboy will believe that AMD is his friend and they will certainly support AM5 well beyond 2025...

That's really my point. If you look Zen 3 to Zen 4 release dates, it's not hard to image a world where AMD just waits an extra 2 or 3 months for a Zen 5 release so they aren't breaking their promise. AM5 might not get any additional CPU generation support or they could keep it till 2030, but without knowing what is going to happen with Zen 5 it's really not a guarantee of anything. There are selling features of Zen 4 that are desirable, but I don't think a promise of any CPU till 2025 is a feature that you can put any stock in, thus it's not a feature at all.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  • I don't think it's the IHS itself that's really the problem, as a solid chunk of metal (probably aluminum with some sort of plating) generally has pretty good thermal conductivity.

Nickel plated copper and usually a layer of gold to help the solder adhere to it.

Thicker than usual heat spreader to keep the Z height of AM4 (that is due to switching from ZIF to LGA)

Delidding and liquid metal just shrinks the gap between the IHS and the die and uses an even more conductive interface than the very stable solder which does not melt under the heat of the CPU.

I'm looking forward to the first lapping as well, that is going to be a serious reduction in thickness, should have a pretty big impact on temperatures again.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
In Yes Tech the author managed to get 7950 to run under 60 degree and reduce power usage to almost 50% so there is good potential in AMD 7000 series to really efficient!

View: https://youtu.be/7JiYAwKIHRY

The main take out for this is what many people like me hates, AMD, NVIDA and INTEL are "forcing" the technology to stay relevant in the benchmark charts, which is by no means bad, unless you increase power and temp to unpleasent levels. But yeah Bryan from Tech Yes City did an awesome job explaining how easy it is to tune down the Ryzen 7000, at the cost of some performance lost (not much, but there is some lost).

KyaraM

Admirable
The main take out for this is what many people like me hates, AMD, NVIDA and INTEL are "forcing" the technology to stay relevant in the benchmark charts, which is by no means bad, unless you increase power and temp to unpleasent levels. But yeah Bryan from Tech Yes City did an awesome job explaining how easy it is to tune down the Ryzen 7000, at the cost of some performance lost (not much, but there is some lost).
Are you as excited about the increased efficiency undervolting and power limiting brings to Alder Lake, too? Because, from what I have seen, it's bulls when Intel does it, but completely fine for AMD.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
?
It's up in the "News" section of the forum... that's where I always look. Don't like navigating a website.

Weird, I thought it was a review but clicking on review did not show it. Then I clicked Ryzen 7000 which went to an article from 30 days ago. Nor was it down the home page when I scrolled, Tom's doesn't want people to find it?

Are you as excited about the increased efficiency undervolting and power limiting brings to Alder Lake, too? Because, from what I have seen, it's bulls when Intel does it, but completely fine for AMD.

Im ok with anything that helps to keep power bill down, either be for intel, amd or nvidia.

I do not know why are you "attacking" my post since I already stated many, many times that AMD made (for me with this Ryzen 7000 launch) a bad move trying to squish this much performance (by going insane on stock power drawn and temps) to stay on the "top" of the benchmarks charts.

And I do not care if my PC have intel or amd inside, I only care about price/performance + power drawn/temps. Thats why some years ago I got the R5 3600 (to upgarde my beloved Core i5 3570) instead of the i5 8400/9400 which were considerable more expensive where I live. And Im very happy that back then I did the right move, I now can upgrade to any Zen 3 part without issues or spending any more money on my system than just the CPU (or a better cooler if I go the R7 or R9 way).

Weird, I thought it was a review but clicking on review did not show it. Then I clicked Ryzen 7000 which went to an article from 30 days ago. Nor was it down the home page when I scrolled, Tom's doesn't want people to find it?
Everybody and their grandmas are using google to search forums...
Just type the site name first and the search term second.

And I do not care if my PC have intel or amd inside, I only care about price/performance + power drawn/temps.
The 12900ks is already on the same level in perf/power as the 5950x, the 13900k that will come out in a month or so will beat it by a whole bunch as long as you are ok with eco modes.
The 5950x uses 120W the 12900ks is locked at 125W
intel score=24770 amd score=24838
So while the 5950x is technically more efficient it is extremely close to where a normal person wouldn't even consider it different.
It's about 1% difference in performance for about 5W difference in power.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...r-core-i9-12900ks-im-test-update.html?start=8
SF87HAp.jpg

Reactions: Why_Me and KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
To give a percentage for how much the 12900K loses being locked to 125W, which is rather close to cutting consumption in half:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...er-lake-tested-at-various-power-limits/2.html

It's 14.9% without undervolting in this test. Here, it's about 12%:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/qwn1j9/core_i912900k_performance_efficiency_at_various/

Again, no undervolting, just a simple lock on the power consumption. Add an undervolt to it, and you shouldn't be far off from the result of the 7950X, at similar power draw. The 13900K should act similarly.

The 12900ks is already on the same level in perf/power as the 5950x, the 13900k that will come out in a month or so will beat it by a whole bunch as long as you are ok with eco modes.
The 5950x uses 120W the 12900ks is locked at 125W
intel score=24770 amd score=24838
So while the 5950x is technically more efficient it is extremely close to where a normal person wouldn't even consider it different.
It's about 1% difference in performance for about 5W difference in power.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...r-core-i9-12900ks-im-test-update.html?start=8
SF87HAp.jpg

Thank you I guess, for telling me everything I already know.

BTW, just in case I still wasn't clear enough, the last two PCs I build and recommended to a very good friend and to one of my brothers were intel PCs with Core i5 insides, because there was no doubt in my head back them (early this year) that zen 3 made no sense at all.
And when my boss asked me a few months ago to "design" and build 4 PC for a press team that primarily wotk with the Adobe Suite I went with Intel Core i7 for all of them (the Core i9 was out of our budget and Ryzen 9 was sorta an option but it meant that I had to go down the stack on the GPU).

Last edited: