Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Dual channel Single Rank Two Dimm.. 2666mhz .. so If I get a Good CAS 13 3200mhz Rams 16 gb ... (x2)8gb It's wasted money?
Especially I have to add ... I am not "the OC guy". So after this said wld it be Wasted? Better one bank 8 Gb 2666mhz?

Looks pretty good to me :/ Yeah it's not beating intel's offering but i dont think most was expecting to either and it's close enough that most people wont mind.

Also looks like there some issues with SMT with some game. When Gamer Nexus disables SMT on his 1800x, he's getting a sizable boost in FPS performance. Disabling SMT allowed a stock x1800 to match an OC 1800x @3.9GHz with SMT enabled.

It happens on intel cpu's as well before but amd seem to have a bigger hit with it enable.

Overall im happy with the performance overall. It certainly not like bulldozer launch years ago.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7UBHjtCXhU&t=1s"][/video]

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

I think a lot of people are going to compare this to bulldozer sadly

a lot of people jumped on the hype train

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Come on, people. If hype told you it would beat a 7700k in games, then sorry, the mistake is in that belief. Ryzen has lower clocks than Kaby Lake, and no IPC gain could beat that. Also, Intel architecture is around for years, and people optimized for it for a long time. Ryzen has just arived, let soft developers do the hard work now. Not even Windows deals with power states properly.

I'd say: wait more :p

From what I've seen the results look pretty solid. I mean in gaming / single thread dependent things Ryzen isn't going to cause you an issue in the way the older FX parts did, and in stuff that scales well to 8 core / 16 threads Ryzen 7 is a serious bit of kit.

I think anyone expecting a 'clean sweep' vs Intel were being unrealistic. If someone does heavily threaded stuff and can use the cores then Ryzen looks very good.

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Impressively clear. Thanks for this one. Others are way too technical "to me". So yes, 3200 mhz with ram is way over too much. Better sticking at 2600 if ones doesn't OC in particular. The important is the Gap now between the 1800X and the 1600X if the gap is too big then I will invest in 1800x so taht I can keep it for more then 5 years, but if the same can be said for the 1600x then let's get that.

It's particularly interesting also what is not gaming, and that review explains. For example if you are Neo Archaeology Workers (rendering) or if you are doing VR (vr interested) using Eve or casual gaming but High enough perfomance then Ryzen is still suggested. If u mono game with a Desktop then better going for Intel.

Finally this is what we all expected and Intel has kept me with a Pentium 4 until today ... ;)

EDIT: btw I agree. for waiting more. At june (max) we will have the FULL PICTURE. June 2017 means Vega, means a lot of stuff and THIS IS FOR REALLY ALL. We can also compare the price of 1600x and performance and minimum requirements.
We need time.
I totally agree with above, not just for SW dev thing (that will need minimum 1 year - and 1 year means NAVI GFX .. another world), but I mean 3 months. and it will be totally different the meaning of Ryzen 7 and Intel "superiority" (of what, I really don't know from the unethical side it perfectly represents).

I think that AMD will find hordes of people buying the 1500X 1600X ... and I believe I will be in there. Will see. 600 Euro. the Unjust price that USA puts on our shoulders is anyway a good price to pay. Multi thread means stable VR .. etc.

We will make you pay hard the wine.. since US wine or any other place wine .. really sucks.

Good luck all!

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Just one more: Reading back what has been written in the topic is fun. If you read some of the assumptions or attitude versus the reviewers houses etc it's funny to see ppl opinions.

Anyway, now that AMD has it's horses, or whatever Force you might see in AMD, it's a force for sure.
They will surely play with the price as INTEL is doing now, As amd is still a LAme duck.

It has it's top horses out, and top OTHER GEN donkeys out.
So what people do? They still can't see the big pic. We can't. Once the horses will be out, even AMD will be able to lower AMD 1800X price, (i do not expect it will happen but it might happen or raise it) and also will play accordingly with other prices.

With the realease of this CHips it's "incredible" how all the HW prices are changing. From SSD to other HW ... and it was ABOUT time (thank you Intel ... I am of course sarcarstic).

Depedning on sales and on competitors we will see DANCING (with the stars) their prices. Amd various lines (now only partially out, for this reason "a lame duck") and all the Intel stuff (and more HW related and not).

I am sure somebody wrote this already, it's pretty obvious surely but for who reads or writes maybe not for all clear, after all.

AMD at the moment is like a Virgin and all the Rocks are being thrown at it to disfigure its body, but when the support will come, and it will come, the rocks are going to cover INTEL once and for all. So in June Intel or comes with something out or the party is over for some time. Keep throwing rocks at AMD .. don't worry.

Ides of March is something, June will be the time of Juno - Hera .. and Hera doesn't leave nothing alive when comes on Earth.
Ryzen again.

My intuition was correct: gamers wait for higher clocked, 6C or 4C versions, pro-sumers rejoice. Overall, not a gaming CPU (for now?).

I have to say I wasn't expecting this many hiccups for a day 1 review across the board. All reviews I've read so far had hiccups one way or another. Come on AMD, fix things quickly! People doesn't have that much patience :p

Also, Naples must have Intel scared ****less. Like, seriously scared. I wonder what Dell, HP and other OEMs will do in regards to Intel's piggybacking. AMD will most definitely get market share back now. If they don't, I'll be terrifyingly surprised and will blame Intel preemptively, haha.

Cheers!

EDIT: Typos.

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
For RAMs from Tom's Harware review:
"Asus notes that pushing memory transfer rates in excess of 2933 MT/s on its Crosshair VI Hero requires memory binned at 3200 MT/s or higher with Samsung A-die ICs. AMD hasn't opened up all of Ryzen's memory sub-timings yet, but we expect the company to open this up soon. Currently, Asus' testing with Hynix A-die ICs tops out at 3000 MT/s, but that may improve with microcode updates. " (page 4)

So if we buy 3200 it will only work later. not now. Sorry but I am really noob on this stuff. (?)...
Is it going to work with 4 memory banks or just 2 .. is this going to evolve with MOBO\CPU updates?

Actually no game or software now uses 16gb .. I mean not considering extra Pro works, so maybe not worth for me.

DMinion

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
I must say that I'm not surprised of the reviews because it basically mirrors most of the leaked information. So in a sense we already knew what was coming.

As many have already said, it's just the beginning and it'll be an exciting year to come. In the meantime, I've held off on upgrading from my i74770k because I wanted more than 4 cores for content creation, Ryzen now gives me that option at a reasonable price. I'll probably wait a couple more months for all the kinks and bugs to be worked out but I'm eager to get my hands on a 1700 or 1700X.

It's all good news for us the consumer especially when the R5, R3, and Vega hit the market.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
i just got into a heated argument with an AMD fanboy. man. i thought ryzen will be the chip that will actually make convos with amd fanboys to be based on facts and boy that delusion was over the top.

that hype. why did they drop the ball on gaming performance. i have yet to see a game where ryzen pulled ahead (10% or better). this is a bummer. i thought i could save money going ryzen for my next gaming build. darn it AMD.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Read the review a bit more carefully then. Ryzen has problems with SMT in gaming, it has more performance when it's disabled. But that's not a flaw, that's the games and Windows that can't use it right. Remember Bulldozer needed an update in Windows 7 to work the way it should in multithread, it's the same. Also, power profiles are not working quite right, taking away performance. And lastly, for the last 5 or so years everyone developed with Intel in mind, obviously they will fare better than a completely new CPU.

I said once, I'll say for a long time: wait. Patches, bios and drivers will roll out at large in the next weeks and months, and then we'll see what Ryzen is really about. Remember that most serious reviewers are saying they will revisit the tests and go deeper into the subject, and there's reason for that.

Counterpoint: it's only a clock disparity for the most part.

TechReport shows good frame times (and Toms also did), so the CPU grunt *is there* for games. They need higher clocks now. I would imagine that will come with the 4C versions; or at least I hope so.

I am wary of OC though. I read in TR (they included a 2600K) and Ryzen goes around Sandy in circles at stock, but I have mine at 4.6Ghz since day 1, so it's still hanging with the newer gen just fine. I'm more concerned about AVX2 is going to get more predominant now in games than pure CPU grunt being lost in my 2700K. Sorry; point is that Ryzen does look *viable* for gaming, but the 8C parts are not showing that fully. The less specialized press got that part wrong about Ryzen as well; it was not touted as a 7700K fighter, but a 6900K fighter. It does just fine exchanging punches with it and edges it out (tech-KO maybe?), so we gotta wait just a bit for the higher clocked versions, if they ever arrive in their 4C and 6C flavors. I haven't read anything other than Juan links stating that they won't be higher clocked. Anyone with new information in that regard?

Cheers!

EDIT: Added word.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

i would love to share the enthusiasm but: 1. can't remember the site but disabling SMT in r7 does provide more performance but on intel it's the other way around (it could be from guru3d or anandtech or here) so i'm not sure if it's a windows deficiency. 2. The dozer, even with the patches still lacked gaming performance.

now regarding the MULTICORE future that we have been promised. that is a sentiment that's been going on since the c2q days, remember when phenom/2 hit the market? the x6? the ongoing notion at that time was "hey in the future, developers will take advantage of this and that". now i had 2 choice, spend time pondering on the future of videogames and pray devs take advantage of multicore cpus or just play videogames. i took the latter.

the only light in the tunnel for me (personally) for AMD is if i go 1440p but cheaper i5s are able to deliver similar performance at that resolution and i don't think i have the budget to do 144fps on that resolution.

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Please avoid it stayed at the level of the hype it did not matched them kind of "discussion" because otherwise we lose the Karma of Sharing all have here. I found this review deeply summing up all the things are said around and really SMART in the point suggested and touched.

If I may share it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7_1AQc6Xf8 His voice is hearable (all the respect to others which are still cool and informative) i think it asnweres and sums up all the stuff in all the other things I READ.

Key words are

-SW Devs (adaptation) - like in American football AAA Alignment, assignment, adjustment ... WR basics.
-months\time
-GFX coming (perf. results are based on that, so now we can't still have a last word!) Especially on the "Low point" of Ryzen, which is not a low point since we are speaking of Dx11 games that have been DEVELOPED FOR INTEL SO FAR, and since future is Games with Dx 12 and Vr and SMT ... so please Intel or blinded take a big cup of ... (i say it because you are confusing those who come here and do not understand nothing of what we are all talking abt)
-Cooling is More then fundamental (buy a big case, ... I have got a vengeance c70 .. it's 12 years I have a slim Dell Dimension 5150 c NO DON'T LAUGH) vents, and good I guess thermal paste...
Amd also btw pushes consumes of New Cases and mostly but this is for sure, of Cooling systems, because its perf depend deeply on that. So wonder why Amd will have a lot of deals also with Cooling system brands (this helps more to "flood" the market by creating "Bonds" with producers, contracts and so on ... and it will do it LEGALLY, not like INTEL. (So... back of intel fan boys, you are supporting unethical stuff, I am saying it because Intel is appealing to the Court, they are not paying the US and EU fines).
Remember always especially in US where you have no idea mostly of what is justice: A country or a man that attacks magistrates or brakes laws and wants to keep this out of records implies that the country that has those magistrates broken (institutions) are part of a NOT FREE SYSTEM. Indeed a regime. Just go back at Greek institutions if you don't believe it. I mean Arcaic time, when the law was still eye for an eye. The one that Intel works for, the revenge. (Before Dracontes and Solon).
Of course there is something called "Appeal" to a verdict but ... I mean in front of a clear fact we are just appealing on semantics ... (typical of modern era and I know what I am saying, ask any lawyer how this works ... ) it's just semantics. Intel is guilty... and needs to pay to come back clean.

-1700 COMES WITH A Cooling included
-Rams package will be surely soon released to match the basic 2600 mhz \ or future unlocked sets AM4 will permit.
-So far in full load AMD consumption spikes up 155W /10 W higher then Intel spike. in idle instead is lower then Intel

I have a question:
What cooling brands do you suggest?
What models (in case you can see that) do you suggest? Answering to the first would be helpful.
What if I don't want a liquid system.

I just wanna remind everybody that we are talking (for the top of the line, which is not the only good piece) of a 500 dollars 600 Euro Against a 400+ one. If Intel lowers that price it would be like an auto punch in its face. LoL... Like a killer that says, hey I haven't killed anyone while it is killing on prime time...

Oh.. sorry for brainwashing you.

010TheMaster010

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Kyle [H] seems really impressed with Ryzen. This is very encouraging. I just hope the story becomes it trading blows with 6900Ks not "AMD: still a dud. 7770K walking all over R7"
That would be bad

After reading the specialized sites I am reading less specialized sites and that is the general message, unfortunately. They are not going for the "good for everything, but gaming" statement and just go "not a 7700K killer".

That is worrying. I hope that tune changes in the upcoming months. At least, people that actually knows will be happy with Ryzen.

That being said, I feel confident about Raven Ridge now. I am expecting good things from that APU now.

Cheers!

The R7 models aren't really the best option for gaming, I fully expect the R5 (and probably the higher clocked R3 models) to offer *exactly* the same game performance (or even a bit higher if clocks are up a bit). When you consider the price point of a 6 core / 12 thread R5 being less than a 4 thread i5- then you have a very different proposition.

Also it's interesting you mention Phenom II x6- I went with one of those as I use my machines for multi purpose (it was purchased for CAD rendering work + light gaming). That machine has recently been donated to a friend and it's still a decent gaming cpu, where older quads aren't keeping up anymore (there are quite a few games that want 6 - 8 threads, and start to choke on quads now, games *are* getting more threaded slowly). I don't see games needing 16 threads any time soon, but the 'a Core i5 is enough for any game' argument simply isn't true.

My personal guess- the 6 core / 12 thread R5 is probably the pick for gaming if the price rumors are true as you are getting something 'fast enough' for older games with huge capacity for future titles at the cost of an Intel quad thread part. I personally wouldn't buy less than an 8 thread processor these days if I was building a gaming rig.

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
After one has someone has spent 1000 dollars for a machine (CPU component by Intel) that is (almost) reached by a starting price one of 500 THERE IS LIKE 0,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that that Human will refrain and say publicly to other people (or at least me that I am honest, but today being honest is equalized by people to be stupid) hey I did this huge purchase at the time now I feel betrayed by intel or things like that.

Nobody will ever be refraining from the money someone has spent on something. We are way to detatched from Nature and bluntness and honesty to say that. So I do expect actually much more intel people coming here and disrupting (or anywere the AMD work... and what they are doing also benefits Intel actually because it boosts the sales of everyone not just of AMD) ... REMEMBER THIS.

By paradox:

consider if AMD was reaching 1000 USD Intel piece and passing it all in all performance: what do you think people would say?
There would still be hundreds of not just fan boys but Stubborn dishonest people that just can't grow up and tell themselves, hey I have been brutalized by a company ...

Still a 500 Dollars CPU is OUT OF the MArket. As in MOST REVIEWS is stated correctly. We are paying 500 CPU that should be launched at way lower prices but why we do this?

I tell you why ? And it's not the fault of Intel this time.
It's because we are in Singularity Era and we are paying the huge risk these companies are paying for investing in long run projects in an era where Finance has (unfortunately) it all and decides who wins who dies just by naming it...

There is a whole need to go back to redesign our communities and systems and AMD is working that way, we need to ask this to Intel too. We are in singularity, if we want this singularity to go well we need to cooperate all together. This is not a game. It is very complex but it has HUGE opportunities.

Agree with cdrfk thesis ... very wise point and actually almost completely fact based if not completely.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well it validates my silly purchases, *though not really*, so I am pleased. But if they work out the kinks, they are going to be the go-to CPU for a while. A way to get great performance now, and possibly the best performance later out of newer titles built with Ryzen and 6+core Intel CPUs in mind from the start.

Always liked AMD's no holds barred approach to motherboard and CPU design, and GPU design. No artificial limits designed to create distinct markets.

jdwii

Splendid
Figured to be everything Juan was saying and some of the rest of us EDIT Amd even had me hyping at the end ha ha
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks?showall=1

"AMD Ryzen R7 1800X Review: An i5 in Gaming, i7 in Production"

Very good description even in games like watch dogs 2 it does bad in since that game DOES use 8 cores well. BF1 looks slightly better. I was actually expecting 6900K like results in gaming.

Also note how it does well or wins in multithreaded tests and loses in single threaded tests JUST like we were trying to tell users. Who said that was impossible

Also 4Ghz normal overclock not 5 not 4.5