Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Thank yo jdwii. Sorry.. Understood.

Regarding the post above, yes agreed, but as for the issue of ITX somevbody asked did you delay them. They said, no, we can't do that. They will release ITX whenever these companies want to do it or feel comfy todo it.
So I say this beacause I wanna know: Is there any chance that Devs of games or the same ATi radeon throws in optimizations for new games to make the Ryzen Nvidia\ Ryzen Radeon work better together ?
Something like that? I guess it exists...

We need to hope (depends on how many of us will buy) that companies will INVEST in these tweaks or scripting etc. What does this depends upon too? Is there any factor? does it depend do you agree on external SW\devs etc or still mostly from AMD (to which most of us is "STARING" at right now) ? I think AMD is now facing outward not inward (meaning that) : they are taking care of the commercial part and on zen 2 and 3 .. they wanna see now how the MKT and devs will respond.

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

I don't wanna take nothing away from other formidable posts here but I wanna quote this because it is good to read for all and I know many of us and me too don't go from page one reading back all the pages. This is really a great post. Besides the fact that I played 2.86 Larry leisure suite, commando (Sierra), Disney Donald Duck adventures, and so on .. but I mean LARRY! (of course I was not at the time a techy and I am not at all now).
I miss so much the steady little FLOPPY all was running perfectly on those machines. One of the reasons I wanna learn a lil linux is because it reminds me dos.

The rest is gold dropping like Wikileaks realease which I am in since years too.

You made me think and it sounds like the umptheenth repetition but we have to see how DEVS will take this new "opportunities" will they like it, just go meh?, just go we don't care?I think it depends from the market too. Devs do what producing house asks. They wanna sell hard. So if most of gamers will buy 1600 or 1500 AMD .. let's say.. then surely there will be an added reason for devs to do some change.

I ask myself also what will happen with games like Star Citizen that are in the middle of release (yes sure!).. realease time? Do they will have a problem like now to adapt their script and stuff to the new tech?

Will dev again, like in general what is the Architecture of AMD? Somebody understands this, maybe somebody is a dev here? What can you say about this ? I am sure maybe u even wrote about this. and maybe I have missed the post where some o f you expressed her his opinion about this.

I think this was Joker Production's original review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lay7YuqPscQ

I think it is interesting that the R7 1800X was so close to the i7 6800K in gaming in this review. The reviewer was able to utilize the ram at 3000Mhz, however was only able to obtain a 3.9Ghz overclock. I know that Scan is advertising 4.2Ghz overclock bundles with water block coolers, I wonder how many volts they are pumping to get that overclock. The reviewer also quoted that he used the newest available bios from Gigabyte and a lot of reviewers used the bios that came with the reviewers kit that was outdated. IT would have been interesting if he had a i7 6900K to compare, but the Ryzen 1800X did well even in gaming vs the i7 6800K in this review. In workstation benchmarks the R7 1800X blew the i7 6800K away, again would have been interesting to see the i7 6900K in those benchmarks.

It would be interesting to see how the R7 1800X would

8350rocks

Distinguished

According to AIDA64 benchmarks...it is *not* the IMC. The MBs do not support the higher clocked RAM. It is that simple.

As for gaming...do not discount that many people are migrating to 4K displays. I myself intend to do so...and the 1800X is perfectly fine for 4K IPS monitors...there are barely any that have a refresh rate over 60 Hz at the moment anyway...so 80 FPS in 4K is superfluous.

8350rocks

Distinguished

OC3D got a 4.0 he ran for 30 minutes under linpack OCCT without any errors. He was pushing temps approaching 80 @ 1.4 Vcore with h100i cooling after 30 minutes though.

I think a legitimate custom loop could probably pull off 4.1 on these early samples...but much more than that would be tough.

Also, consider that Joker was running his 1800X under the Noctua air cooler that shipped because he could not get an AM4 brakcet for his deep cool water cooling setup in time for the review. So...I think some samples will hit 4.1 under water...4.2 might be a bit much, but not out of it for being a high side outlier. High numbers of those may be rare though...

8350rocks

Distinguished

That is the right channel, wrong video though...

I dont think so... but think there were some Hardocp forum users trying it out (although it might have been just discussion).

I'll see if i can find that conversation again.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176053/components-processors/amds-su-says-patches-will-boost-ryzen-gaming-performance-it-will-only-get-better.html

Looks like AMD is already working on patches and bios updates. Its also nice to see that some game developers are actually working with AMD this time around - doubtless because AMD powers the console systems that are their bread and butter.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ryzens-biggest-problem-isnt-coffee-152014655.html

An interesting read, for those who are unfamiliar with Intel's go-to playbook in marketing, and those who like to pretend it doesn't exist.

randomizer

Champion
Thanks. I expected that most reviews would be running on Windows 10 and wouldn't have had time to do multiple OSs. The kerfuffle around Microsoft's redefinition of mainstream support for Windows 8.1 makes me curious whether or not optimisations have been skipped (or at least delayed) for earlier OSs. Given that there are issues even on Windows 10 I don't have high expectations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Ryzen is compatible with Windows 7. I think I read where someone said it would "boot" but I don't think its supported. Windows 7 doubtless wouldn't even be able to tell what processor was running. I don't know about Windows 8, but as far as I know Ryzen was built from the ground up to be compatible with Windows 10, not previous Windows.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

So gaming has been fixed, all sorted now or what ?

randomizer

Champion

I couldn't care less about Windows 7. It is in the extended support phase of the support lifecycle and expecting proper support for new hardware is unreasonable, even if it would be nice to have. Windows 8.1 is still in mainstream support so it is perfectly reasonable to expect Ryzen to work without issue.

Got ya, that makes sense. Haven't heard anything at all about Windows 8.1, but as you stated they are still trying to get the bugs worked out for Windows 10.

No, gaming hasn't been "fixed". The newest bios available, which some reviewers didn't use, shows better results, but its not the "fix" needed. Even with the newest bios Ryzen trails Intel in 1080p gaming, but was much closer when compared to the i7 6800K utilizing the latest bios available.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-gaming/

While I don't think its the whole answer, I still think we will see much needed bios updates, hopefully Ryzen's gaming problems are all software related at this point.

No, AMDs problems now are not software related and FORTUNATELY not architecture related either. They just need a few extra Hertz in their CPUs to hang, without questions, next to the 7700K. The software patches (for BIOS and games), except a few exceptions, are not going to make that big of a difference.

The only hope left I could see, is if the Ryzen 4C versions can OC decently past 4.3Ghz or come clocked higher by default at around 3.8Ghz base. That is a slim hope, but it's there anyway.

Cheers!

Yea, but it doesn't make any sense that in almost every benchmark Ryzen is trading blows with Intel, but then in game it takes a rather significant FPS hit. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that bios and software optimizations will make significant gains in gaming.

I will keep my expectations for those fixes very, very low.

Cheers!

dgothi

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2014
Just to be clarify. Does AMD Ryzen's X370 motherboard have bios which it is buggy can affect games and work (Adobe and 3ds max)?

Ryzen literally just released today, it will take time to optimize it. I expect a few bios updates before the R5 releases in a month. Hopefully those bios updates helps 1080p gaming. From various reviews it is apparent that AMD created a true workstation / server beast with the Ryzen R7. The Ryzen R7 also competes well against high end Intel i7 6900K in 1440p and 4K gaming, however slips and has some undefined performance issues in 1080p gaming. It looks like AMD may have been so focused on 1440p and 4K gaming - something its previous FX Piledriver processors couldn't do that they overlooked working the bugs out of 1080p gaming.

For people buying Vega and high end GTX GPUs Ryzen will game near equal to i7 6900K at this point in time. The reason being at 1440p and 4K resolutions Ryzen trades blows with the much more expensive i7 6900K. Anyone buying GTX 1080, 1080Ti, Vega, ect is going to be gaming at 1440p or 4K, or those expensive GPUs don't make any sense.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3175775/computers/ryzen-7-1800x-and-radeon-fury-x-building-the-water-cooled-fire-breathing-apex-of-amd-power.html?page=3

Ryzens only shortcoming at this point in time is 1080p gaming. I find it funny that no one is talking about the workstation prowess of Ryzen and what it means for Naples server processors. The server market is where the real money is and where AMD can truly make a comeback, yet all anyone is talking about is the performance issues with 1080p gaming. The implications of Ryzen trouncing the i7 6900K in so many multi-threaded applications and benchmarks is huge to the server market, yet AMD stock has gone down for two straight days because they had a performance problem in only one metric of one category. The reason is simple- AMD released a true powerhouse of a processor with Ryzen, it is a true workstation and server beast, yet all anyone can dwell on is in 1080p gaming it currently has IPC equal to Haswell which is still a good gaming processor.

I'll say it again, Ryzen just released today, any new piece of technology is going to have bugs to fix and updates incoming. By the time the R5 is set for release I'm sure AMD will have 1080p gaming benchmarks up, maybe not equal to Kaby Lake but better than they are now.

In the meantime while we are all scaring the holy **** out of investors can we all agree that Ryzen is a resounding success as a workstation processor? The gaming market is nothing when compared to the revenue of the server market and AMD stands to make a killing with Naples at its price to performance index. Investors with AMD stand to do very well in the server market regardless if Ryzen ever goes toe to toe with Kaby Lake in 1080p gaming.