Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eathdemon1

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016
a lot of the gaming multi thread stuff can be explain with the windows scheduler. as I understand it cores zero through 3 are treated as phycal cores, than 4 through 7 treated as logical on a i7. the issue with ryzen is in ot only alternated between real and physcal, but needs to swap to a difrent cache for the second 8 threads. the only fix is ms doing a update to it, and that could take several months.

AMD really should have just waited an extra month to facilitate a cleaner launch. Get in touch with Microsoft to implement the fixes for it in advanced, and also get in touch with the MOBO manufacturers as well to finish up the BIOS issues.

From various comments you just made, are you telling me that if someone came to you and said all I do is video game, its all I'm interested in and I want to build the best video gaming system possible then you would hose them and building a system around the i7 6900K??? You wouldn't be in business for very long doing that to customers and then quote a couple outlier games where the i7 6900K beast the i7 7700K. Lets be honest, if someone asked you for gaming system you would recommend the i7 7700K over the i7 6900K for gaming as most of the time it has better gaming performance - and that isn't even taking into account the insane price Intel puts on its i7 6900K. Right now 8 core 16 thread processors are not the gaming line of processors, they are the workstation class of processors.

The gaming processors are the 4 core 8 thread and maybe even 6 core 12 thread processors. The gaming processors for Ryzen will be the R5 4 and 6 core processors, and they should boast better overclocking potential than their massive R7 brothers. As many others have stated as well Ryzen's gaming issue(s) aren't Bulldozer's issue. Bulldozer's low gaming performance was easy to understand from the get go, all one had to do was run any benchmark like Cinebench, look at the very low single core performance and bingo that is why it doesn't game in the enthusiast market. Ryzen is totally different, from all the benchmarks we have, with the powerhouse it is it should be gaming much, much better. Something is currently hobbling it, but it is far from the hardware issues Bulldozer had. Ryzen has very good IPC and very good single core execution, once the issue is found that is crippling its 1080p gaming potential it should hit the same gaming benchmarks as Skylake based on its very impressive workstation performance.

R5 Ryzen processors will bring AMD back into enthusiast gaming, but they won't dominate there, where they have a chance of dominating is with their R7 and Naples line in workstation and server application.

I fully expect the 6 core Ryzen processors to hit 4.3Ghz and the 4 core R5s to hit at least 4.5Ghz. The R7s don't overclock well at this point in time, but 8 core 16 thread beasts usually don't have a lot of overhead. Most R7s are hitting at least 4Ghz, and on average the i7 6900K hits 4.3Ghz, I would say 4Ghz for a freshly released Ryzen isn't that bad. In fact I remember a lot of guys posting here now saying things like Zen will never hit 40% IPC gains over Excavator, Zen will never have competitive performance to Haswell, Zen will be lower core count, never getting to 8 cores and 16 threads and will have much lower clock speeds never exceeding 3Ghz. Funny Ryzen has proven all those predictions WRONG. Getting their 8 core 16 thread processors to overclock to 4Ghz it isn't outlandish that their 6 core processors should hit at least 4.3 and their 4 core processors to hit 4.5Ghz.

I do agree with you , and I really believe that is why AMD only released its R7 line and held back releasing its R5 line. I think AMD was hoping that the R7s would be judged not as "gamers" but as "workstation" processors. Most people buying a 8 core 16 thread processor only game as a side-note. Most people who buy an 8 core 16 thread processor are doing heavy rendering, video editing, ect. and in those respects the R7s truly shine. I think AMD was expecting more people to judge them on those qualities than gaming on an 8 core 16 thread beast. AMD's gaming processors - the R5s were held back probably in hopes of having those very fixes you mentioned addressed by the time they launch.

eathdemon1

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016

air cooled or watter cooled? I am on a i5 6600k at 4.3 air cooled. if the r5s cant do that, I am not so sure.

Not all air coolers are equal, so that is a loaded question. I would expect that my ND-15S air cooler in a push pull configuration could allow the R5s that overclocking headroom.

NickatNight8320

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
http://Forbes

Verbal confirmation with Forbes that r5 6 core flagship to bump speeds up to 3.6/4.0 a la 1800x?

Question being did AMD plan this earlier - leaking lower core speeds to keep Intel off guard, or is this in direct response to reviewers?

I'm in total agreement. Ryzen has hit the performance level in games that I was really hoping for, and far surpassed anything I could have dreamed of in workstation loads. I am very happy with Ryzen even in its current state, and I fully expect Ryzen to get better and better with Windows driver updates, bios updates and game optimizations.

I do a lot of rendering and video editing, and am overjoyed with Ryzen's workstation performance. I already have my R7 1800X, and will probably pick up a R7 1700 as well. I've heard that they are overclocking the best at this point in time and I will probably see which one gets the highest overclock then set the other one aside for a customer build later. I don't think I will be finishing my build for about a month either, as I don't know which motherboard to go with and would like more of a variety of RAM available before buying. Like you said by waiting a month it will be more apparent which motherboard is the best- I usually always go with Asus, but it looks like Gigabyte may have a performance lead this time around.

As stated, with two fewer cores to contend with the R5 6 core flagship should have the overhead to overclock to around 4.3Ghz, hopefully more. At this point its almost a certainty that there will be incoming bios updates from AMD. While those bios updates will hopefully help to address whatever is hobbling the processor in gaming the updates may also have a significant effect on the general overclocking ability of Ryzen.

eathdemon1

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016

if the 1600x can be oced to 4.4 on air cooling like my i5, that would be a good upgrade even with its lower ipc, but if it cant that is a issur.

jwcrellin

Reputable
You gotta remember that this is AMD's first attempt at newer cpu nano fab stuff. They're on a super steep learning curve. They just made a product that's 30% faster than bulldozer. I mean, darn it, that's huge.

daerohn

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
The people who defend AMD, are missing something...

If the gaming performance being low is due to a software issue, like BIOS, optimization, windows etc. it can be fixed. But if the problem is with the hardware it can not be fixed easily via software. You need to write core specific program which is a huge effort for the gaming companies.

So what is the situation right now. AMD has done a good job with Ryzen. However there are still some issues like Phenom. They fixed some in Phenom II (by the way I had a 955k back and now I have FX8320 as I feel it is best to support AMD, as Intel for me is the big evil company).

What I will be doing is to wait a little bir to see how the software companies react to Ryzen. In the next few months we will be seeing some progress in that field. I also would like to see the BIOS and driver updates. and recheck the benchs. Although I do not think gaming performance will improve much, however right now it doesn't seem awfully low. In fact if the R5 and R3 have the same gaming performace with half the price of Intel counterparts, still it can be recommended.

eathdemon1

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016

the issue seems to be with windows scheduler not handling thread allocation in a optimal way for ryzen. also the split memory cache is just weird, and is making the issue worse. both can be fixed by ms. if the r5 and r3 can be oced to atleast 4.4 on air cooling, I would say its the best way to go. on the flip side, there a rumors is going to release a 6 core replacemenrt for the 7700 and bush that down to replace the current i5s. if they do that, this gets very interesting very fast.

randomizer

Champion

Which is an unforgivable mistake by one or both parties for such a critical product launch.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
so which is which when it comes to ryzen's gaming performance then? some blame windows/ms, some blame dx, some blame AMD, some even blame intel.

the way i see it:

1. if this is a core utilization issue with windows, is it not possible to disable not ONLY SMT but the 4 extra cores? i5s are beating i7s in gaming perf. if this is more of an OS issue, let the os reference lesser cores by disabling them. the simulated r5 should beat the r7 ala i5vsi7. if the argument holds true.

2. pardon me, but DirectX for all i know, ever since i started building machines and playing videogames on a PC, is a HAL (hardware abstraction layer), i may have failed to see the changelogs from dx7(when i started) up to dx12. did it change? is DX no longer HAL?

3. the "OPTIMIZATION" issue has been on going since Dozer came out. pundits were saying "give it time, we'll see devs taking advantage of 8 cores". circa 2017 and devs are still not optimizing for 8 cores?

4. the saving grace is the upwards 1440p performance. we could argue that it's less CPU bound but CPU perf does matter (to an extent) as lesser CPUs are showing abysmal performance like the FX8350s in the gaming benchmarks. seeing the r7 being an EQUAL to any i7 at 1440p makes me really want to believe AMD's stand.

maybe everybody still with a 1080p monitor (like me) should just VSR/DSR to 1440p. that way we're not losing any performance due to some optimization issue.

eathdemon1

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016

r7s will almost never beat the 7700k, which is true of the 6900k btw. the lower clock speed having 8 cores couses means unless the game is very well multithreaded, the fewer cores, but higher clock speed i7 will win.
as to the other issue of optimization via the os, that is on amd for rushing ryzan out the door, and ms will fix in the coming months.
the r5 and r3 cpus will be better for gamming becouse of the higher oc room, assuming amd isnt already pushing them to the limit.

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

The gaming benches are all over the place though, I see no common results, its obvious there are some flaws to be fixed with certain set ups with some combos and settings seemingly working better than others. Looks really rushed this launch re mobos and ram compatibility but I think ryzen have a good future, after reading the stilts analysis I look forward to mobile ryzen, I think gf14nm will shine in the 2-3ghz range.

jdwii

Splendid

No i'd have them get a 7700K and according to IPC test's and frequency scaling on Ryzen OC i'd still recommend the 7700K as the best gaming processor 300mhz more on ryzen won't change that.

R5 will not bring Amd back in Enthusiast gaming it will make them a option again for people who do more then gaming. R3 will be Amd's major win CPU.

jdwii

Splendid
"r7s will almost never beat the 7700k, which is true of the 6900k btw. the lower clock speed having 8 cores couses means unless the game is very well multithreaded, the fewer cores, but higher clock speed i7 will win. "

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-02/cpu-skalierung-kerne-spiele-test/#diagramm-anno-2205-fps

Nope a 6900K meets a 7700K in every modern title over games using 8 cores and in some the 6900K beats it

However a 8 core Ryzen part fails to do the same

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-7

I'm telling people the 4 and 6 core parts will look worse(as a lot of modern games can make use of 8 core) and i highly doubt we will see that big of a clock speed advantage on these parts.

Also the 6900K has less IPC and less of a clock speed compared to the 7700K while meeting or beating it. Guess i'm gonna copy this so i don't have to keep typing this over and over again.

Intel's node is higher performance then the one used by Global Foundries. GloFo's 14nm LPP process is more optimized for mobile, and some of us had predicted that Vcore would start to become an issue much past 4GHz. So far, it looks like that is in fact the case.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Reviewers are not saying that Ryzen is bad at gaming. They are saying (i) that there are better chips for gaming, and (ii) that RyZen doesn't game as AMD pretended.

Reviews have compared Ryzen with everything, old i5s, newest 7700k, 6900k, FX-8350,... Reviews have found it is worse than 6900k for gaming. From PcGamer:

I expected Ryzen to be right in the mix, matching Broadwell-E. But while that happens in a few games, in others it comes up well short, sometimes by 20 % or more.

Framerates are relevant for current games. Yes today Ryzen can do 60FPS on a given game and Intel do 80FPS and many people will not notice the difference. But what if tomorrow a more demanding title gets 70FPS on Intel and only 50FPS on AMD? There is a reason why reviewers have performance "CPU tests" at 1080p. Not only reviewers benchmarked Ryzen performance today, buy estimated how it will perform in near future with new games and more powerful GPUs.

About software to catch up a bit and bugs be resolved, I want to be totally respectful but I consider those arguments are a copy of arguments given on Bulldozer launch. Many years after a high-clocked quad-core continues being the kind of games despite consoles have had 8-cores for many years now. And all of us know that the scheduler patch for windows increased performance by 2--5%

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5448/the-bulldozer-scheduling-patch-tested