Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Are you serious?
Your own post shows a 6 core eng sample at 3.3/3.7 GHz competing with i7s and clearly trouncing i5s.
1600X is 3.6/4.0 GHz !!!

AMD-Ryzen-geschaetzte-Workstation-Performance.png

If price is included in the equation, Rizen is truly amazing.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
is there any review of ryzen comparing performance in games of double and single rank memory ?
as i noticed that double rank gives more performance in games ( and winrar ) than single rank at same settings. ( though in phenom 1090t ).
( gta 5 showed 9% better performance for double rank than single at same settings ( there was no gpu bottleneck ) and speed. In comparision, cpu overclock of 12.5% gave just 4.5% performance increase despite game being cpu bottleneck ( single thread constanty above 95% and multi thread above 80%, gpu ( hd7950@1.3/1.575ghz core/memory clock respectively ) mostly between 50-60% ).

Btw, has anyone have any insight or idea if amd is laser cutting the die to make lower core sku or just using software, because to produce 4 core form 8 core die yields have to be abysmal which clearly won't happen, so if they don't laser cut then we can have core unlocking days back ( and probably one of the reason they didn't launched 4/6 core sku earlier ) :p

jdwii

Splendid

Wrong if you are a pure gamer a 7700K cost about the same as the cheapest R7 CPU. Also a 7600K will OC to 4.5Ghz easy and beat the RX 1800X at 4.0Ghz in gaming while costing HALF as much

jdwii

Splendid

8150 did quite well in other things besides games to how did that work out for Amd's market share?

Right back at you, jdwii. A pure gamer won't get the 1800X, but the 1700 :p

A bit more expensive (than the i5), but way more justified price wise.

Until we don't see benchmarks for the rest of the line up, the best Ryzen CPU is the 1700 for any gamer.

Cheers!

EDT: Clarification of point.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

That graph was an early estimation made before launch and assuming the final chips would perform much better than they finally do in reviews. The commercial 6C RyZen has higher clocks than expected when that graph was made, but the IPC is lower than expected. The higher clocks are compensated by the lower IPC and thus the 1600X must be behind the i7-7700k in heavily multithreaded benches. Check the recentest estimation made by Anandtech for both multithread performance and single thread performance. The i7-7700k is above the 1600X in both, and the gap is higher if we consider games

R5EstimatesMT.png

R5EstimatesST.png

Both Anandtech and AMD seem to consider the 1600X is the competition for the i5-7600k. The i5 will win in single thread and slightly threaded workloads and the R5 will win in heavily multithreaded workloads. I think that is why AMD uses the name "R5".

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Ok, I like to be wrong, anyway my post above was besides too much wording perhaps referred to Sales (which is with finance- stategy - market product positioning) the most important thing in any thing you do today. (unfortunately) the position that goes between the Head and the shoulders, is the kill of honor, you don't feel nothing, you just die instantaneously. That is where the Johnny Top line hits.

At the moment also seeing the price and "somatizing" the whole revolution that is coming: Goddess competition Polemos, Athena Areia is here or should be raised as goddes, I feel like I am going to 1700ize my self. I'd have a cpu that will last 5+ wich is great.

One question I was wondering (especially reading last 10 pages) about and maybe we will just know in 1 year or more is what is the quality more going?
Where are AMD producers going to use the best quality of their materials, or how the "case" and fate will bring the batches of CPU to be best.
The first phase series not regarding if they are r7 r5 .. or the ones that will be produced late.

Maybe sombody will say that after all what is important is the SW, but maybe also material can be better (or this never actually verified in history).

So the question is to learn: better to buy early production (better quality indeed they are) or no, better wait when the products will start to be more then the demand, then quality will be better ?
or this is just a legend?

Maybe with tech items all is just random, you can get a failing item and variables are too many, dusty, humidity, AC\DC levels and stuff like that, interaction, human factor, compatibility that we can't say after all...?

I am just thinking how much prices after all have gone down.
With Dell (OK leave the 200 EURO over price out)
I spent around 1200 Euro (?) for a pentium 4 It was a DELL dimension slim build in 2004 end, it last maybe 2\3 years then it started to take hits. It never had a serious videocard, the vga also is integrated, ram 2 to 4 dimm ... today we have promises to reach 5+ years and this stuff LOOKs to be going to last so as they say\we say.

I spend 1100 for a super quality (lowest of top gamma) and I can do a lot of stuff.

My built, just imaginery:

PSU Corsair RM x 750W 105
Cpu 1700 Johnny Ryzen 349
Corsair veng cl 14 3200 16 gb 170 (or waiting for 3200 Flare X - Fortis strips - seems crucial stuff here folks... I don't think it's just marketing)
Father Board (darth) - x370 Prime Asus Pro 160
Xfx Rx 480 8 gb - 215

SSD 275 gb(linux and win?) -Crucial MX 90
1 tb EZEX WD blue 7200 50
----------------
Gonna get head set Logitech g430 (for it versatility) 51
A nice seat (?) 200
Trakir 5 250+
AverMedia c985? 150+
An external drive 3 tb 100

What I wanna say is that we spend the same or less and we have totally stronger (or simply better) machines then yesterday. Ok I know that these are laws written years ago and these rules are actually obsolete I also read but... some people say it's a great time to make a configuration. is this true?
What do you think about this?

I think that retailers in general are going to be happy for what is going to happen.
Just think about all the people that can't afford (I can't) and will buy from India to China to Russia to Europe Africa Americas' Australia especially the most populated ones I mentioned. Imagine how much is crucial how much these HW consumes. (AMD really is democratizing participation to tech ..maybe this is not clear? or am I wrong?) and how much minerals and also especially energy more will be consumed in next years (more then before?) ... We are approaching the next kardashev scale (maybe also these "laws" are outdated ...) I believe that less energy we consume the better we are anyway.

Vega 10 and 11 ... same house -... aren't going to relatively do better but consume less or they will always ask for 750 600 W monsters ?
I am really really curious about this and also about NAVI 2018. I am sure some of you already know the answer on this.
-------------
Looking at the graphics above. It's clear that "THE BEST BUY" is a 1600 X and then u put on it a Vent like Noctua or Cryorig (as someone suggested me this brand is good too) and you will have a fighter for Intel... anyway. Single tread isn't going to be "abandoned"?
as with our SW we will do much bigger, things with bigger datas, bigger multitasking.

Just the VR Leap motion thing comes to my mind...

jdwii

Splendid

So a gamer should pay the same and get less? Is this Amd's new message i remember when Amd processors used to offer more FPS for less money.

Ryzen seems good for everything else but for people who just game and use their PC's for normal tasks i can't see a reason why they would need a CPU that performs worse in games but works good in blender.

thegentlewoman

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
The differences are so slight... really unless we do gamin'competition (professional ones) it is clearly a tete a tete. It's just a philosophical choice now, a choice of "a flag"... and anyway for mutlithread and streaming ryzen is said to be better (so since most of ppl, the "selfie generation" all these youtube channelers and stuff do it... I think ryzen is gonna take it all).. just pro (gamers) are going to stick on Intel.
Let the voice spread, from Archaeology to Zombies all the people will move to Ryzen because they know they have a tractor engine to do all their rendering stuff for a good price. I mean this is obvious. It would be nice now to learn what is Intel going to do (we know AMD strategy we don't know Intel's do we?) beside lowering its price and bs like that.

Not necessarily, jdwii. I got the i7 because I knew going forward it would justify the extra price and I was right.

At stock clocks, the i5 and i7 are pretty much the same (gaming wise) and the i7 puts the premium in it's HT capabilities, right? Both OC about the same (on average) and behave closely in games, but nowadays the i7 is the better purchase IMO (yes, for games). That is why I think is not that idiotic to suggest a person to go with an 8C/16T CPU instead of a 4C/4T CPU just because it's better when they are kind of close in price. I think that is the main reason AMD put the 1700 right next to the i7 (non -E, that is), because the 4C CPUs are starting to take the place of 2C CPUs for games.

Depending on the performance of the 1400 and 1500X CPUs, they might be the new value kings for games.

Cheers!

That's really interesting to see. I wonder if the extra L3 for the 2+2 is helping it off-set some of the load in the games when fully stressed out.

Cheers!

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

The most interesting part I think is this: scaling is off, it's a bad benchmark, but every situation in which there is only one CCX active, performance is a lot better than with two CCX. Makes me sad for the 4-cores with 2+2 :(

But also very hopeful for the APUs :D

rcklc5.jpg

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

I compile and run simulations that scale almost linearly with cores, so I only care about MT. What I see in that (MT) estimation is that 1600X offers i7 performance for i5 price. Knowing what I run I bet that 1600X will provide significantly more performance that i7, but that is my particular case. I also game, but I'm usually bottle-necked by the GPU. Regarding ST, if ST is all you run. then don't buy i5 or i7 they are a waste of money, an i3 is all you need.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

I don't believe that, there's definitely something wrong with how treads are being handled, especially in certain games (weather it's windows or the game engine at fault or both even).
You can see that much on the games that are having trouble on youtube reviews with single cores maxing out an other cores idling.
Weather this get's fixed with windows update or game patch's remains to be seen. But there is definitely something going wrong with tread allocation in games that's not happening on Intel chips.

Also saying that fixing the outlying games that are worst affected is only gonna raise the average gaming performance by 1-2 percent is just a silly statement..
So what, Who cares how much it raises the average for gods sake...
If it wasn't for those games that are worst affected (dropping 20/30 frames an the like) no one would be complaining at all...!!

Otherwise Ryzen performs great.

I did state before the chip came out that there would be problems with the first wave of boards etc.. this is new technology there is always problems with the first version of anything... maybe it was rushed.. maybe if it was late there would of been hell to pay too...
I can't wait for game patches to start coming out and new BIOS's an windows updates also...

When this problem with the games gets sorted will people finally just admit Ryzen is a great chip i wonder ? Or will some people just start looking for something else to complain about... I certainly hope not anyway.
I'm sure all new titles will be optimized and a lot of whats already out... Maybe not some of the older games though unfortunately.

I still believe the chip is an Excellent CPU.. It's a pity about all this fiasco taking away from it that's for sure.
Especially seen as how the drop in frame rates in the games affected is imperceivable.

jdwii

Splendid

I agree with that If Ryzen was actually outperforming the 7700K in the same games the 6900K is.

That's the point even when games scale to 8 cores Ryzen can't beat a 7700K and can't even consistently beat a 230$ I5.

Least pricing on the R5 seems to be really great now we wait on performance numbers. I really thought Ryzen might need a patch or something since it seems like its performing similar in 4 and 8 core configurations in games that can easily use 8 cores.

jdwii

Splendid

Least Amd employee's aren't downplaying single core performance like that anymore. I remember when someone from Amd was doing that months before launch even once told me we already have high speed single core CPUs go with that if you care about single core performance.

See the thing that's wrong with that statement is Intel isn't selling me 1 core compared to lets say 6 from Amd they are selling me 4 cores and Amd would be selling 6. If games use one core at higher usage compared to the other 5 cores then we might have a issue with the game not getting the same numbers compared to a faster per core processor. Most games are starting to finally use 4 cores at least. Anything over a 1060/480 would bottleneck a I3 and you won't be getting the full usage out of your GPU

I think something is wrong with the way Ryzen actually works 4+4 cores so when games scale beyond 4 cores it doesn't act correctly, I have no idea why

I read this at Jayztwocents youtube comment and basically laughed at how badly some people are
"Also, why didn't you at least test the non-demanding games at higher resolutions to flesh out the differences (or more precisely the clear Ryzen lead). Like, seriously are you trying to make the i7 look as good as possible?"

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
You can see that much on the games that are having trouble on youtube reviews with single cores maxing out an other cores idling.
Thats because core part of cpu can bottleneck by 2 ways, single core thourghput and multi core throughput.
And here ryzen is showing single core throughput limit and it is getting amplified by uncore part ( that is poor memory latency) ( i am surprized how ryzen even manage to get 99% of theoritical ram bandwidth while having latency of ddr1 era ).
And this is why people care about ipc or atleast single core throughput ( ipc*clock speed ) by better single core performance they don't actually mean that they want a single or dual core only cpu.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

I don't get why some people in this thread are trying to convince me that something more expensive and with less performance (for my needs) is better, My top priority is not gaming, gaming is secondary, i never spend more than $150-180 on a GPU, any CPU is good enough to get full usage of that. On the other hand I compile a lot, and that is an area where Ryzen shines. I also run simulations that in all aspects are perfectly parallel with zero data communication. I can even spawn the exact number of threads and fix them to specific CPUs to avoid thread migration (simulations run for several days). So my expectations are to do at least as good as MT Cinebench if not better. Why the hell should I buy an i7 7700K for $350 when a $250 R5 1600X will give me more performance where it matters and exactly the same while gaming? And if I can spare $350, what I should buy is R7 1700.

Pretty much this.

As of noted for YEARS now: Games really do not scale beyond a handful of CPU cores in any meaningful way, due largely to the GPU rendering process being single-thread dominated. New Low-Level APIs help this somewhat, but you still have two/three threads dominating the total workload.

Essentially, games are a classic case of Amdahl Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl%27s_law

Essentially, your maximum theoretical speedup of making a program more parallel is limited by the part of the program that is serial. Or simply put, if 60% of the program can not be made parallel, then your maximum speedup you can obtain via threading alone is capped at 40%.

Point being, there's nothing wrong with how Windows handles threading; if you have three threads doing 90% of the total workload, you're going to see a lot of cores idle on a 16 core CPU. Simple as that.

Least Amd employee's aren't downplaying single core performance like that anymore. I remember when someone from Amd was doing that months before launch even once told me we already have high speed single core CPUs go with that if you care about single core performance.

JF_AMD. His hyping of BD really hurt AMD badly once we found out it wasn't anywhere closed to what he was claiming.

jdwii

Splendid

No one is trying to convince you i said several times that Ryzen is superior to Intel in everything but gaming for the money.

In your case Ryzen is amazing in almost all cases but gaming Ryzen is at least not bad. Once i get more $$$ a 1700 is becoming my rig that handles my handbrake machine and some other tasks.

If you are doing work like you said i'd never recommend a I5 over a 6 core Ryzen part, if anything i'd try and tell you to get a 1700 at least for your work try and fit it in the budget

Lame fact about me, i'm having more fun from BOTW on my switch then i have been on my PC for 2 years. Power is not everything(also why i'm not as active on the forums).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

That bench is weird. 3+0 faster than 4+0? 1+1 faster than 2+2? I wonder 0+0 must be a real winner here :D

Don't have too much hope on the APUs. Yes, they have a full CCX, but they use a different CCX with half the L3 cache than its big brothers. Half the cache will hurt performance in games.