Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I note FRAPS is very CPU intensive. It's a useful tool for getting FPS out of the GPU, but you are going to have latency hits, especially if Windows stuffs it on a Hyperthreaded core. i mean seriously, how many posts do we have daily about people complaining about shoddy gameplay while FRAPS is up and running? If you have a heavy CPU hog running in the background, CPU performance suffers. And by virtue of having more cores, Ryzen handles this case better.

Nothing to see here.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Why did the OC'ed 5960X also hang?

My guess? A major thread is getting assigned to a HTT core, and stalling out. Hence the downside to adding more and more threads: A greater and greater chance of a major program thread getting assigned to a SMT core and stalling out. I could confirm this if I had the raw perfmon logs, but based on observation and known Intel CPU performance, this explanation makes the most sense.

My point here is the test itself is invalid: You can't try and gauge CPU performance within an application while at the same time having another CPU intensive program running in the background.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I would ignore the first, because it is from one of those fake leaks released before launch. The performance reported in that leak wasn't confirmed by reviews.

And I would ignore the second because it is internally inconsistent. The 1700 and the 1800X are the same chip except for clocks, and the graph says that the 1700 OC to 4GHZ on all cores is slower that the 1800X at stock with 3.6GHz base and single core 4GHz turbo. A possible explanation of the discrepancy is that the 1800X is running with XFR activated in whose case the effective clocks aren't the clocks reported in the graph.

Here you have Dolphin benches from computerbase

ryzen_dolphinz3jkw.png

Zen @3.6GHz performs like Haswell @3GHz in this bench.

Is that a single thread test per chance?

Edit: there is something strange about the scaling of that. If you look at the 1700- it's above a 3770k, which if we are talking base clocks has Ivy at a 500mhz advantage (3.5ghz base on the 3770 vs 3 on the 1700). If we are looking at turbo clocks then it's 3.9ghz vs 3.7ghz, however then your assertion that 'Zen @ 3.6ghz = Haswell @ 3ghz is wrong', because the 5960x turbos to 3.5ghz (so it would be 4 vs 3.5). The only thing that is strange about that though is the huge gap between Ivy and Haswell in this test, is this an AVX 2 enabled benchmark? Haswell didn't really have much ipc over Ivy in most test from what I remember...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It is not single thread. The huge gap between Haswell and Ivy in Dolphin is normal

3.png

It is not synthetic but a well-known emulator used by many people. I believe that jdwii uses it.

8350rocks

Distinguished

That is just it, Wendell was monitoring EVERYTHING in perfmon, and could not come up with a good answer as to why.

8350rocks

Distinguished

The 6950X is right there as well...So it is accurate to say that Zen @ 3.7 GHz performs like Broadwell-E running turbo core up to who knows what.

jdwii

Splendid

Actually that is a test from a gaming emulator dolphin its related to real performance numbers when using the program i know i use it all the time.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The 6950X has a turbo is lower than the base clock of the 1800X.

Zen @3.6GHz ~ Haswell-E @3GHz ~ Broadwell-E @3GHz

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Haswell-E and Broadwell-E can clock higher than 3.5GHz through Turbo Boost 2.0 and 3.0 respectively.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Turbo 3 is not being used here and the reason why the 6850K beats the 6900K and the 6800K beats the 6950X.

jdwii

Splendid

Many people who are on dolphin fourms use the unlocked Pentium dual core since its actually really good once its overclock to 4.5Ghz or more with dolphin.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Oh, alright.

I'd recommend using something akin to GPUView (which essentially just visualizes perfmon data) to figure out what the threads are doing then. One of them's getting interrupted, and I'd wager FRAPS is the culprit. I'd expect an i7 to power through though, unless somehow one of the major threads is getting put on a HTT core.

In any case, FRAPS is known to cause performance issues. Run the same test again, minus FRAPS, and I'd wager the problem goes away.

In regards to Dolphin, it doesn't scale beyond two cores, and it makes use of all CPU extensions, up to and including AVX2. So I'd expect never CPUs to show absurdly large performance boosts even if IPC doesn't move much (Such as the Sandy to Haswell jump).

8350rocks

Distinguished

Why would they disable only one aspect of turbo core? Please link where they clearly state they disabled any of the turbo aspects of any chip.

jdwii

Splendid

I can't see the first link but yeah the second one the team is doing amazing things the fact that even a FX 8350 at 4Ghz can run dolphin fine still doesn't mean we can't tell the difference between IPC using it,

Ryzen is a different architecture at times when i compared the 1500X to 7700K i saw more IPC with ryzen but this was just as often as when i saw way less IPC(like 20-40%). On average who's to say Amd claims 10% within kabylake which is basically Haswell i say it depends, on average probably around Haswell maybe a little less.

I said it a LONG time ago but even if Ryzen got Sandy-ivy level IPC i'd call it a success that stands true today.

I've been thinking about selling my CPU+board+Ram to get ryzen just for benchmarking and testing as i love doing that(had a lot of fun testing CMT on my old 8350), still haven't decided 100% yet. Now a days even a 70$ processor could do what i do on my PC, i guess until the next big game comes out that i like the last one runs perfect on all modern CPUs(Resident Evil 7)

I do however really love simulation and open world games and those are CPU heavy and often (IPC+Frequency) dependent