AMD Ryzen Motherboards Could Pose Heatsink Pressure Problem

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
It's quite possible that the manufacturing of the newly launched platform was sub par. It's been seen in the past that even having more pressure than necessary can result in a cracked chip(read Intel Skylake launch) but was quickly addressed with a re-revision of the mounting mechanisms.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The socket hight is similar, this has not been changed. I wrote it on the 1st page, that des pressure is too less, approx 1.5 Nm. It was not enough to press the thermal grease into a very thin film.

Matt Booth

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Anyone crying fowl of tech websites trying to screw up Ryzen's launch: grow up.

There were similar issues with Skylake CPU's bending on launch that were well talked about. No-one is trying to screw up AMD's launch, they're reporting the news.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Because it is going since last week. I informed AMD, then I discussed it with Alphacool and two Chinese OEM, manufacturing cooler stuff for the so-called A-brands. Later I was in closer contact with the HQs of a few motherboard companies and today finally also with Asus. All this ppl were simply surprised, that the hight of the holders has been changed without reporting it especially in the specs. Not one factory got the requested real hardware, to play with it before launch! Only datasheets. The follow is visible now... :(

A reviewer in France was using the Be Quiet! Silent Loop and contacted AMD to report the same problem. The answer was a pure lie, because AMD said to him, that this cooler will 100% work. I have the same AiO here in my storage and it works NOT.

After a few days with no reaction from AMD and a lot of feedback from the cooler industry we decided to publish it at the end. We were waiting for AMD - but if we all got answers, they were incomplete or wrong.

Ok, I hope to keep the NDA:
This issue can be a reason, why Ryzen 7 1800X may look worse in some launch review as he is. If the reviewers not mentioned a possible issue, the will benchmark with too high temperatures. And this is nothing, what I personally wih AMD. It is important to communicate it BEFORE launch to help anybody to pay more attention for all this cooling stuff. And now again: I wrote Pro or Against AMD?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
BTW, change the title, you said AMD Motherboards ... in fact the fault is in the cooler not in the motherboard .... It`s misleading.|

The right title should be "There could be problems on some coolers for the AM4 platform" But you went with "AMD Ryzen MB pose heatsink pressure"

The two titles have a total different meaning on the same problem.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The fault is in the original AM4 backplate with unreported changes. The cooler industry got nothing. No info, no real hardware for tests. This is confirmed ;)

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
what is it with TomsHardwares obsessive compulsive nitpicking when it comes to amd news?

the rest of the press pretty much universally gives one highnote after another in terms of rumors, leaks and stats. tomshardware does not manage to post a single article without phrasing it like there is still a lot of doubt about the perfromance of the cpu and making one or a few coolers not fitting right into an issue as if that was not the case with every single cpu / board ever? there always were coolers that, despite being sold as compatible had issues.

is intel a major sponsor of this page and you are afraid to lose money? whats up with you? stop bending forward to intel and own up to the facts already you are disgracing yourself.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
yes i do really believe that, and it is based in my experience over many years with this site.

when it comes to intel or nvidia tomshardware in general seems to set up the cheerleaders, calls the quire to sing a hymn and prais the gods at dawn in every article. this is clearly visible in writing.

any lead is a "clear" lead, any loss a "minor" or "negilgible" difference when it comes to these two companies.

read your own articles, there is clear bias there and i do not like it. i am so tired of having to read 10 pages on either side to get to the actual facts that are always somewhere in the middle.

i own two core i7 one core i5 in pcs and another core i7 and two core i5 in laptops. i have one amd based graphics card, the rest is from nvidia.

i do not give a flying f* who wins what fight, i just want the facts, but lately all i (and it seems a lot of other people see this the same) get is opinion pieces from all sides.

that is why i have turned to small enthusiast youtube channels to get actual data. they seem to be the only ones who actually put in the work to determin without bias what is the highest performing cpu, which one is the best price/performance solution, ... tomshardware and most other pages i have read for so many years just seem to put out what their best pals at company x tell them to.

if i wanted ads i would turn off my adblocker ...

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
that is why i have turned to small enthusiast youtube channels to get actual data
And why you are posting here? NDA is NDA. Nobody needs alternate truth. We preparing a big launch review and you are invited to compare it with your favourite channels. :)

read your own articles, there is clear bias there and i do not like it
I must read all of my reviews after writing. For typos. If you don't like it, simply stop to read it :)

bias1.gif

VirpZ

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Funny how this site used to be non-biased and the place to go like 15 years ago.. nowdays it is so biased towards a certain company that it has turned into a No go. You guy should be neutral, not like pretend and never report that intel plataforms had a problem and AMD has it even before the launch. I hope AMD crushes Intel for a while and ur sponsorship lowers by 90%

rgd1101

Don't

you mean like
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-cpus-damaged-by-coolers,30690.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-prime-number-bug,30979.html

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
I want to say, the fight here is pointless as I believe we are tech people and without any proofs no need to accuse others.
About the original post, I would say: It couldve written in better way with more explanations as it caused a lot of confusion.

Lastly, I am glad that this article was published before any review comes out. Imagine reviews saying that AMD benchmarks where a lie and to find out later that it was the cooling problem and not a CPU problem. Mainly as we know that AMD is sending to the reviews 1800x + ASUS + Noctra cooler + Corsair RAMs, and if a reviewer decide to write something he will say if he tried different cooler is:
1- Noctra is better than X in cooling
2- 1800X CPU are not good and AMD lied.

Regards,

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I hope AMD crushes Intel for a while and ur sponsorship lowers by 90%
I have since years an excellent relationship to AMD and if we are so horrible biased: why AMD hired our people to work for them?

t couldve written in better way with more explanations as it caused a lot of confusion.
I'm under NDA, that's the real problem. It was not allowed to bring more details. The normal reviewer will not mention the differences in pressure. I'm using special screwdrivers to proof the pressure and I have experience enough to rate each cooling system right. I came from industry and know the standards. Normally the conclusion might be: AMDs CPU is hotter than Intels (if you not proofed the pressure). AMD can be lucky to have this info for the reviewers to get more realistic results. This is the sickness of all this biased fanboys: no chance to think only one step forward. ;)

Teaser:
Tomorrow you will get an outstanding video, how Ryzen is getting hot. I'm sure, this is very, very unique and can't been seen on a Youtube channel. And don't ask... I''m not a scaredy cat, but it was 50:50 that it works :D

Lutfij

Titan
The standard for the cooling mounts is given by the CPU maker not the other way round. The cooling bracket's specs are also shipped to all it's partners. The point Igor is trying to make is that the information didn't trickle down to the manufacturers after AMD made subtle changes to the socket/backplate.

Is this what passes as news these days? Tomorrow will be the best day for the PC industry in the last ten years and they're talking about screw holes? Anyone who can build their own PC can MacGyver a workaround to something as silly as this.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Yes, it is good to warn of a potential problem, however if you use the parts that come with the cooling solution you should be OK. Yes, Toms is helping avoid possible erroneous reporting of heat issues. It is just speculation that this will be a wide spread issue of reviews stating high heat. If toms had used the included mounts this might have not come to light. How is it that the backplates from the Cooler makers work, have they just included washers?

Yet it seem that Toms is going to blow this up with a video detailing their important findings and probably include detail their pre-launch conversations with AMD filled with opinion that this was not done properly.

I just want to see the testing and comparisons not controversy and opinion throughout the review.

You mean the standard cooler mount design that is designed by AMD? Much like how Intel designs the cooler mount for theirs? Do you think they have no hand in the design of the motherboards? If anything both Intel and AMD have a heavy hand in the basic standard design of a motherboard and the cooler mount is one that is never changed by the motherboard manufacture.

So yes, it is an AMD issue just as it would be an Intel issue if the same thing happened to a new LGA socket cooler mount.

So instead they should say nothing? I guess they also should have said nothing when a very tiny minority of peoples skylake CPUs?

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. Just wanted to make sure those washers aren't touching any electrical components on the back of the board, as that could pose a problem not just for your motherboard but also anything directly connected to it, which is literally everything inside the case.

Broadbanned

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Igor Wallossek created the title and article. Simply mark anything he writes as Intel fanboy crap. AMD and Ryzen both have nothing to do with motherboard manufacturers and their choice of mounting brackets. The title should include manufacturers' brand names. If you don't know them... sounds like maybe you're making things up, Igor? Meanwhile, Intel fanboys around the globe are just recently learning about Intel's illegal business practices back in 2009, when they actually paid OEMs like Dell to refuse AMD product in their offerings. Intel has and always will be the bad guy. Nvidia joins the bad guy group as well, with their closed source, anti-consumer dealing. Check out Nvidia hairworks closed source libraries for an example. Or Nvidia's G-Sync versus AMD's Freesync, which one is proprietary and requires a licensed $200-$400 premium chip to work?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I have not created any titles and the news is based on a text from me. Not more and not less. The issue exists and a lot of brands changed their products, following my suggestions. That's a fact and not a bashing.

Just for your info:
The backplate is designed by AMD, not the mainboard or cooler factories. AMD sent a whitepaper to all cooler OEM, without the info that the hight has been changed.

I saw a few results with wrong temperatures, because the guys used a too low pressure. I like it to do an exact job to get exact results. Nothing else. I'm totally emotionless during hardware tests. Bias is a bad consultant. And about your post: it was really entertaining. :)

Original Alphacool Eisblock with the original AMD backplate.
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9ZL1YvNjU1NzM1L29yaWdpbmFsL0lNR18yNzAyMjAxN18xNzMwMzYuanBn

Solved issue to get the right pressure (0,4 Nm) with 2mm more:
Cooling.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.