AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X Review: Striking The Balance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
If you think that rendering is the only application in which you care about the number of cores you are pretty darn mistaken. Compiling programs, scientific number crunching, virtualization, simulation work, and many other things can take advantage of 16 or even 32 cores.

1 - For high bandwidth applications like simulations that need fast access to a lot of storage, one M.2 is not enough, and Threadripper's headline feature is great productivity performance, so more than one M.2 is perfect for that.

2 - Again, storage bandwidth is a HUGE selling point for TR systems. Having options for fast backups and data transfers saves a lot of time in professional applications. Having as many ways as possible to get info onto and off of the system is a good thing.

3 - There are plenty of applications for the ALC 1220 that don't involve gamers or music. For one, dispatcher system servers need to process a lot of high quality audio, so those chips are great for that.

4 - Physical connections are the least expensive thing on a motherboard, aside from the CPU socket. The real cost is in the chip sets, which if you are paying for a full fat chip set, why wouldn't you pay the dollar or two more to do the physical connections. Additionally, you said in number 1 that if you wanted more fast storage that you'd add more cards, which would be hard for a professional video editing, scientific, or virtual machine server to do as they would have 4 slots absolutely saturated with video cards for compute power, audio devices, PCI-E storage, high speed networking cards, video input devices, and/or a bunch of other specialty cards for various purposes. Many work stations need 6 or 7 slots.

5 - Why 8 RAM slots? That goes back to the design of Threadripper. TR has two independent memory controllers on opposite CCX modules. You want to have memory on both controllers to limit latency. Quad channel is GREAT for bandwidth heavy workloads like simulations and CAD. Again, the CPU is the expensive part, why waste potential when a couple dollars are the difference between 4 RAM slots and 8?

6 - Overclocking isn't something only gamers care about. An overclocked CPU is actually better for professionals than for gamers. Cutting time off of simulations or rendering can save thousands of dollars. For gamers it is just for bragging rights, not that important. For professionals it is time and money, which are both WAY more important than bragging rights.

Not to mention, you are overlooking the most expensive part of making a motherboard, development. It costs money to develop, prototype, test, and build a motherboard. TR is already a niche product. Why would you make a product that is a niche within a niche? It is easier for manufacturers to just build jack of all trade motherboards with robust options and price them the best they can. Which is what they did. If you wanted a budget workstation, Threadripper and the TR4 platform is as budget as it gets. Your alternative is to go Intel and pay out the nose for the CPU. Sure, Intel cuts you a small break on the chipsets and associated motherboards, but you still pay them a heck of a lot more over all. Not to mention the additional costs associated with features on Intel.

Aug 2, 2018

You are talking in the air . there is always a budget option for people who want to save money , and Intel is giving them that in their X299 motherboard while AMD does not.

all what you written means nothing . no need to justify having this and that . people simply DONT need them if they want to save money.

and by the way as a hint to show you that you know nothing. 4 Dimms work in quad channels smart guy . no need for 8 dimms for that.

there is an AMD micro ATX TR4 motherboard with 4 Dimms only already.

Well then don't buy the product if you don't want it. I'm done trying to explain this to you if you simply won't accept it. Go email some manufacturers and see what they say. It isn't like I'm connected to them in any way. TR is a complete success the way it is. Why whiny people can't get over spending a little more on the motherboard when they are paying a LOT less on the CPU is beyond me. Just people looking for something to whine about. Why not go whine at NVidia about RTX not being ready, or whine at Intel over charging extra for bootable NVMe RAID when it is already built into the motherboards, or whine to Apple about not being able to repair machines without bricking them. You've picked the least shady of ANY of these things to whine about just because a product you'll never buy doesn't meet your needs.

X399 boards cost more because there are more gold plated pins for the socket connection. Get over it. That is the real reason. Gold is expensive. Duh. TR4 has TWICE the number of pins that Intel's HEDT socket has. So there is TWICE the gold on the board. If you were smart you'd have figured that out.

Reactions: BulkZerker
Nov 27, 2018
Hi ,
We have built and started using our new system for strictly 3D modelling and 3D rendering purpose. We basically use only Adobe products majorly Autocad and 3dx max – Let me share our experience and feedback on same in simple language . Our system is AMD Threadripper 2950x , 64GB – DDR4 -2666 ram from Kingston, 512 GB – Samsung 970 pro ssd , 2 TB -HDD, MSI GTX 1080 TI gaming card . I had lot of confusion while selecting GPU card especially after reading a lot of online stuff.
3D rendering was smooth drive – a Interior design of a room ( rendered image quality of 1920 X 1080 ) involving lot of elements took around 17-20 minutes to render and for same design giving an 4K output took around an hour. Now the beauty of whole thing is , we started doing two different instances of rendering for same kind of resolution – means simultaneous two files were put for rendering. It just took same time – means two 1920 X 1080 rendered images completed in 17-20 minutes and same goes for 4K. CPU utilization was 100% in both cases ( we did not do any overclocking settings) , GPU’s were under utilized say hardly 10% - but in terms of memory – for single render around 25 GB was used and for simultaneous dual rendering around 46-48 Gb was used. Who knows with more RAM we can do more than two renders same time.
Now for 3D modelling it was all about GPU. GTX 1080ti handled it quite very well, even the one involving large room with complex elements like many plants, furnitures other design elements like lot of lights. No complaints it went well. But many reviews where pushing for professional cards when we come to professional applications only. I am still confused as I have not used our system it with pro graphics cards. I just went after GTX 1080ti graphics card based on price to feature aspect
Regards
Riz

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
ThreadRipper needs a ~$200 Motherboard to totally take the market from intel. X299 Motherboards can be found starting from $189

ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard https://m.newegg.com/product/N82E16813157861?m_ver=1

$249

GIGABYTE X399 AORUS PRO sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard https://m.newegg.com/product/N82E16813145109?m_ver=1

$279

And x399 isn't confirmed as a dead socket (yet) unlike x299

Jun 20, 2019
Hello! Can you please explain how do you reach the cl14 timings on 3466mhz ? i have exact same build , threadripper 2950x , msi meg x399 and 4x8gb g.skill 3200 cl14 ram , i tried to reach 3466 mhz but the timings are 16 , and i am unable to change them, can you please explain how do you change the timings from default 16 to 14? Thank you !